Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote

BTW, I just uploaded two very short video clips taken by K-7 and F*300/4.5 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJ__JcfVR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meT6MONXcfw

You guys can do better 'cause I'm really bad at shooting videos ...
Thanks again Frank for your great work.

I'm very curious to see if the K7's video has the same 'jello' motion problems reported for the Nikon D90/D5000 - such as cameralabs.com reported in their review of the D90:
Nikon D90 review Cameralabs features: Movie Mode

QuoteQuote:
The D90’s video mode also suffers from motion artefacts often referred to as wobble, skew or jello. This is a well-known issue with CMOS sensors with rolling shutters which record each frame from top to bottom before returning to the top again for the next one. Should the camera or subject move during this process, the image can appear to tear, skew or wobble. Now many video cameras, both amateur and professional, employ CMOS sensors, but some suffer more from this effect than others. Sadly the D90 suffers more than most. Panning or zooming, fast-moving subjects or simply handheld work can often result in very undesirable artefacts.
I hope the K7 avoids this issue. It sounds ugly.

06-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #212
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Frank is showing that the K-7 with a manual lens has better "green button" metering then does the K10D.

The test has nothing to do with details, or highlights or blocked shadows. All he is showing is that there is less exposure variation between open aperture and closed aperture with the K-7 then with the K10D.

Although it is not perfect, it is a great deal better.

Thanks Frank!
Ahhh ok, that makes since.I never use green button metering with my manuals which is why I didn't quite understand what was going on.My appreciation to Frank and Falconeye as well.
06-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's... A pretty darn nice improvement in the high-ISO, whatever versions we're looking at.

I could get behind that.
06-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #214
Forum Member

Holy jeez.

800 on the K7 is as good as 200 on my *istDL.

1600's comparable to 400 on mine.

3200 isn't great but it's actually usable. 3200 on the *istDL is sandpaper, good only for B&W or Sepia shots.

06-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #215
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Volvo244T Quote
Holy jeez.

800 on the K7 is as good as 200 on my *istDL.
Or 100 on my K20
06-24-2009, 02:29 AM   #216
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Thanks again Frank for your great work.

I'm very curious to see if the K7's video has the same 'jello' motion problems reported for the Nikon D90/D5000 - such as cameralabs.com reported in their review of the D90:
Nikon D90 review Cameralabs features: Movie Mode

I hope the K7 avoids this issue. It sounds ugly.
Hmm, I don't know. I didn't see that problem here. But I didn't take many video w/ the camera ...
06-24-2009, 02:34 AM   #217
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The retail K-7 will be here in several days. Let's wait until then so we can really see how well the actual camera performs
06-24-2009, 03:19 AM   #218

Also nice video clips Frank seems it does really good, anyway what SD card would be great with the K-7 i have a sandisk extreme lll 8gb but i think it will not be enough, would the 16gb be better? also on the SR is it does it work better than on the K20D? thanks

06-24-2009, 04:41 AM   #219
Pentaxian

Frank, did you by any chance try long exposures (longer than 30 seconds)?

I was reading the K-7 manual that Ned B published on his blog and this seems to indicate that Dark Frame Subtraction (called Slow Shutter Speed NR in the manual) can only be turned off for exposures shorter than 30 seconds:

QuoteQuote:
Slow Shutter Speed NR

Reduces noise during long exposures.

On: The camera determines the conditions such as the shutter speed,
sensitivity, and internal temperature, and automatically reduces
noise as necessary.

Off: Reduces noise only when the exposure mode is set to B and the
shutter remains open for 30 seconds or more
So I guess astroshooters who were hoping for a better camera for their hobby will be disappointed? Can you confirm this?

tx, Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 06-25-2009 at 04:47 AM.
06-24-2009, 05:24 AM   #220
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
Also nice video clips Frank seems it does really good, anyway what SD card would be great with the K-7 i have a sandisk extreme lll 8gb but i think it will not be enough, would the 16gb be better? also on the SR is it does it work better than on the K20D? thanks
I used 4gb Sandisk Extreme III and Ultra II SD cards w/o any problem. 8gb extreme III cards should be perfectly fine unless you take a lot of videos
06-24-2009, 05:25 AM   #221
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Frank, did you by any chance try long exposures (longer than 30 seconds)?

I was reading the K-7 manual that Ned B published on his blog and this seems to indicate that Dark Frame Subtraction (called Slow Shutter Speed NR in the manual) can only be turned off for exposures shorter than 30 seconds:

So I guess astroshooters who were hoping for a better camera for their hobby will be disappointed? Can you confirm this?

tx, Wim
Sorry Wim I never tested long time exposure. The longest time I tested was about 10s.

I've returned the testing camera, can't do any test anymore But the retail one will be here next week. Let's wait for several more days

Cheers!
06-24-2009, 06:05 AM   #222
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I was reading the K-7 manual that Ned B published on his blog and this seems to indicate that Dark Frame Subtraction (called Slow Shutter Speed NR in the manual) can only be turned off for exposures shorter than 30 seconds
Well, the sentence says that "B and >=30s" are required, not "B or >=30s". This is a big difference and let's hope that the person who translated it was aware of this

EDIT: it makes no difference at all because >30s implies B

As for testing ... alpha test cameras always act like in OFF mode as described in the manual.

EDIT:
Initially, the above sentence claimed that test cameras wouldn't do DFS at all. But I was wrong.

Last edited by falconeye; 06-24-2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: changed P into B, remark on test cameras corrected
06-24-2009, 06:45 AM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Well, the sentence says that "P and >=30s" are required, not "P or >=30s". This is a big difference and let's hope that the person who translated it was aware of this

As for testing ... alpha test cameras don't do Dark Frame Subtraction even if it is switched on and even with fw 1.0. Maybe, I should try to keep mine for astro-photography?
Sorry, my mistake... The manual reads B and more than 30s. The P got in there because of a copy/paste problem between Acrobat reader and Firefox.

So if in Bulb and more than 30 seconds: no Dark Frame Subtraction. Normal actually, since B is the only mode where longer exposures than 30s are possible...

Perhaps you should indeed keep the alpha test cam, and sell it to the highest bidding astroshooter...

Wim
06-25-2009, 02:25 AM   #224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
BTW, I just uploaded two very short video clips taken by K-7 and F*300/4.5 here:
The clips attracted posters (at YouTube) who ask whether they are seeing AF speed. Perhaps you should clarify.

Thanks for all the work!
06-25-2009, 03:00 AM   #225

Can someone tell me if they know or have a link where it says whether or not, in VIDEO MODE, you can adjust Shutter speed or ISO?