Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 03:18 AM   #226
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Psynema Quote
Can someone tell me if they know or have a link where it says whether or not, in VIDEO MODE, you can adjust Shutter speed or ISO?
Nope you cant. You can adjust aperture at the start of the recording and you can adjust ev

06-25-2009, 04:22 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Well, actually I've got used to use M mode and do some testing shots to get the right exposure when using a manual lens on my K10D and K20D, probably due to their unreliable metering w/ the green button. I hadn't really done any exposure test w/ a full manual lens on the new K-7 camera.

Since you asked, I did some very quick test this morning w/ a K10D and K-7, and an good working condition M50/1.4 lens (no stick aperture blades or whatsoever), both indoor and outdoor.

Here are outdoor testing results, ISO set to 100 on both cameras, used M mode and pressed greet button to meter, metering mode set to spot metering (but I guess it doesn't make any difference if set to other mode since it's a full manual lens). All shots were taken handheld but I tried to focus at the same spot.

Since it's partly cloudy in the morning, the brightness wasn't the same when I tested the two cameras. But this won't affect the actual metering accuracy I guess.

Here are a couple of indoor testing shots, same as the outdoor testings except ISO was set to 400 on both cameras:

I did several metering tests (by pressing the green button several times) before I took each shot, just make sure it's not some random metering result. Seems the M50/1.4 lens works pretty well on K-7 w/ the green button for metering. How do you think?
Looks much better. Thank you Frank !!! Hmmmm, now to come up with the cash, haha
06-25-2009, 04:49 AM   #228

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Nope you cant. You can adjust aperture at the start of the recording and you can adjust ev
Deal Killer

Firmware hacks/updates possible? Wonder if there's a way to trick the camera...

Would you know what the priority is? No iso/shutter lock button anychance?

It would really suck if I wanted epic bokeh for a video shot at 2.8 in sunlight, only to have it ruined with 1/8000 of a second shutter speed.

I could live with not controlling the shutter so long AS IT WAS LOCKED somehow - say ALWAYS at 1/60th of a second for example during recording, auto'ing only ISO...

I hope Pentax does a firmware for this...you can't have shutter speeds shifting during video - I thought something was off about some of those clips.

Last edited by Psynema; 06-25-2009 at 04:56 AM.
06-25-2009, 05:28 AM   #229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Deal Killer

Firmware hacks/updates possible? Wonder if there's a way to trick the camera...

It would really suck if I wanted epic bokeh for a video shot at 2.8 in sunlight, only to have it ruined with 1/8000 of a second shutter speed.

I could live with not controlling the shutter so long AS IT WAS LOCKED somehow - say ALWAYS at 1/60th of a second for example during recording, auto'ing only ISO...

I hope Pentax does a firmware for this...you can't have shutter speeds shifting during video - I thought something was off about some of those clips.
This is hardware related and cannot be fixed in firmware. The metal focal plane shutter used for still photos is not used in video. It is not capable to open and close 30 times per second. Instead it is used a scanning of the sensor to read the data and there is a limit to how fast this can be done. The focal plane shutter is constantly open at live view and video. This scanning is from top to bottom on Nikon D90 and generates the famous jelly effect. How fast this scanning is on a K-7 remains to be seen.

06-25-2009, 05:43 AM   #230

AH THANKS FOR THE INFO - that actually is useful info, as most likely, I'm ASSuming scanning is a constant speed you think? As long as they made it to be within a reasonable rate for motion and stays at that rate...

I did notice the motion looked odd, not quite jelllo like...

But if it's line by line, it's deceiving to say it's progressive.

don't know why all these DSLR's are so 30p obsessed....24p = less strain on the sensor, less card space, less data to worry about etc.
06-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #231
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have a look in the K-7 video thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/645435-post627.html