Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
OKay, you got me here. I only checked the file on the camera LCD. Then opened it up w/ FastStone, both showed the photo as corrected. But when I opened it (DNG) in photoshop, it's curved as non correction at all Oh well, sorry I made the wrong statement above. Blende was right
From my understanding this is a Adobe problem, not a Pentax problem.
Lets hope Adobe will implement this correction in later releases of ACR.

06-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #62

And I thought the lens correction was going to be useless, as I'm a Raw shooter.

Awesome!

... er... on continued reading, maybe not...
06-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
You're forgiven Frank!

Too bad, so I won't be able to use the lens corrections after all. Shame, but I was never really bothered by distortions anyway and Lightroom has OK tools for fixing CA/PF... Not deal breaker at all.

Wim
Wim,

Give DxO or PTLens a try.
Wonderful distortion corrections. And easy.
06-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lizard

Really nice pict Frank. Thanks for posting the 100% crop

Steven

06-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #65
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure Adobe will apply the changes in ACR as well. Unlike Nikon, Pentax works closely with them so that their software will work correctly around the time of the K-7 release.
06-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #66

Frank, how noisy is the in-body AF? It's okay on the istD, and it's noisy as heck on the K100D.

Are the frequent double-checks (where the lens adjusts focus a bit several times before locking) as frequent? This is important to me since I do not use any SDM lenses.

Thanks!
06-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Thanks very much for these very nice samples!
06-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
From what I've read, the distortion corrections are stored with the RAW file but not automatically applied to it, so you can apply the corrections using the Pentax software included with the camera. It sounds like if you wanted to use Adobe Lightroom or another program you would have to correct the RAWs first in the Pentax program.

And thanks for the review Frank! Way to make me regret that I can't afford the FA*80-200
Here is a post by JCPentax on RAW correction.
Thank you very much for the review and samples Frank.

06-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
Frank, how noisy is the in-body AF? It's okay on the istD, and it's noisy as heck on the K100D.

Are the frequent double-checks (where the lens adjusts focus a bit several times before locking) as frequent? This is important to me since I do not use any SDM lenses.

Thanks!
I think I can answer this one. Tried the K-7 that frank has with his FA 31mm and another K-7 with the DA 35mm macro and focusing is very quiet, very quick and precise. Leagues ahead of the istD or K100D I'm afraid.
06-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
One more thing... It would be kinda nice to see a focussing screen from a K10D/K20D next to the one in the K-7. Only if you're confident enough to take them out of course!!

Wim
Hi Wim,

Here is a photo of K10D focusing screen L80 and K-7 screen M60 side by side:

The M60 is slightly bigger, especially on horizontal side. Not so obvious from the above photo, but I stack them together, the difference is pretty obvious. The small tab (where you can hold the screen) moved from right to left side, so I guess they are not compatible.

Just for reference, here is a photo of LX' S60 screen compared w/ K-7's M60 screen:

06-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote

Thanks!
Hmm, I thought the noise comes from the lens movement, not the camera? Just checked again w/ the kit lens, it's pretty noisy but still from the lens, not the camera.

Believe me, the AF improvement w/ non-SDM lenses is more obvious then w/ SDM lenses The AF locks much faster than K10D or K20D w/ a non-SDM lens mounted. For SDM lens, I only tested the DA*1650 on all three cameras, K-7 is definitely faster, but the improvement isn't as obvious as w/ a non-SDM lens like the kit lens or FA77, or DA21 ...
06-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I think I can answer this one. Tried the K-7 that frank has with his FA 31mm and another K-7 with the DA 35mm macro and focusing is very quiet, very quick and precise. Leagues ahead of the istD or K100D I'm afraid.
Thanks Denis
06-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #73

Only have eyes for you :-)

Well this subject is getting more and more interesting and July closer and closer.
Thanks for your comments and pictures. There is a lot to digest and it is going to take a while to get to know this 'K 7.

Atb
06-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Uhhh... droool. I keep telling myself I don't need this camera, but my eyes just tells me I NEED it :b
06-10-2009, 01:57 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hi Wim,

Here is a photo of K10D focusing screen L80 and K-7 screen M60 side by side:

<snip>

The M60 is slightly bigger, especially on horizontal side. Not so obvious from the above photo, but I stack them together, the difference is pretty obvious. The small tab (where you can hold the screen) moved from right to left side, so I guess they are not compatible.

Just for reference, here is a photo of LX' S60 screen compared w/ K-7's M60 screen:

<snip>
Thanks so much Frank!! Finally I know for sure that I will have to get a new focussing screen from KatzEye when I get the K-7 (and why). Basically this means I will have to go without my favourite gridlines during the first trips with the K-7...

tx!! Wim