Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2009, 02:11 AM   #76

great K-7 !

for the noise reduction, is it effective on RAW or only on jpeg ?

06-10-2009, 02:19 AM   #77

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Uhhh... droool. I keep telling myself I don't need this camera, but my eyes just tells me I NEED it :b
Let me correct that, you don't need it, you just want it

I'm in the same situation, I am very happy with my K20D but the K-7 keeps on nagging me and I know now that I'll succumb to its whispers...
06-10-2009, 02:49 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by keltia666 Quote

I'm in the same situation, I am very happy with my K20D but the K-7 keeps on nagging me and I know now that I'll succumb to its whispers...
If that's how you feel, imagine us, the K10D users...we have no hope what so ever.
06-10-2009, 05:24 AM   #79

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"11. The LCD screen will rotate to any of the four directions automatically when you turn the camera, yes, even you turn it up side down. What a cool feature."

I guess you mean the image :P

But this is a very handy and cool feature! I've seen the Olympus do this, or maybe it was the Sony ones. It's a very nice little thing, really glad to see it has been used for the K-7

Great short review Loved the comparison images as I have the K10D.

06-10-2009, 07:39 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Thanks so much Frank!! Finally I know for sure that I will have to get a new focussing screen from KatzEye when I get the K-7 (and why). Basically this means I will have to go without my favourite gridlines during the first trips with the K-7...

tx!! Wim
Hi Wim,

As promised, I also looked at the mirror box of both K20D and K-7. The mirrors look the same, all are square ones. No much different when look at the mirror. But when the mirrors are lifted up, you can see the difference:

K20D got one pin on the right to support the mirror when mirror is down:

K-7 got two pins on both sides to support the mirror:

There are some reports on the tilt results from K10D camera, even K20D cameras too. And some of them got focusing problem after some use. Some people guess it's because the mirror got tilted after some use because it only got one support, which is understandable 'cause we are taking far too many photos with digital cameras (some film cameras only got one support under the mirror too, but we take far less photos w/ a film camera). I guess Pentax listened to the users feedback, and they noticed the problem too, so they put two pins in K-7 instead of one as in K10D and K20D camera

I do feel much more comfortable w/ two pins under the mirror instead of one

Heard K-m also got two pins under its mirror, but I didn't check when I had it. Probably someone can check it out and verify.
06-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keltia666 Quote
No, it's not want, it's NEED (with capitals) :b

Besides it's just my eyes... my mind is still keeping me in check right now. New Laptop for faster processing would come as first priority for me!
06-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #82
Inactive Account

Thanks a lot Frank! Very nice review.
I also feel a bit over saturated on a few of the photos you've taken. Could you perhaps show us some more samples with different colour modes? I am really wondering about the new "Muted" mode and the "CTE" under white balance.

PS. I remember someone pointed out that there is not that much improvement with the two DA* 16-50 and 50-135 lens in AF speed. Maybe you will see better improvement with other SDM lens?
06-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yakiniku Quote
Thanks a lot Frank! Very nice review.
I also feel a bit over saturated on a few of the photos you've taken. Could you perhaps show us some more samples with different colour modes? I am really wondering about the new "Muted" mode and the "CTE" under white balance.

PS. I remember someone pointed out that there is not that much improvement with the two DA* 16-50 and 50-135 lens in AF speed. Maybe you will see better improvement with other SDM lens?
Thanks

I myself kinda like the saturated color But I'd say we can't judge the final image quality by these photos yet, 'cause it's still in the early beta stage w/ firmware of v0.3. I'm sorry I don't have the camera w/ me any more, but I'd get chance to play it again during next weekend. Will test out the DA*200 and DA*300 and see if the improvement is more than the DA*1650.

06-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just posted some more photos taken by the new K-7 camera here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/62998-some-photos-zoo-w-...-80-200-a.html
06-11-2009, 04:08 AM   #85
Veteran Member

frank, thanks for a nice picture of my K20D mirror box. You're the best!
06-11-2009, 08:56 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
frank, thanks for a nice picture of my K20D mirror box. You're the best!
Thanks for letting me taking the photo too That place wasn't the best to take photos like these...
06-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #87
and
Veteran Member

did you try the live view?
the live view on k20d seemed completely useless as when you zoomed in on the picture it was so grainy it looked not in focus even when it was.
whereas on other dslrs that use the same lcd as the k7 you can zoom in and see very precisely if your focus is 100% or not.
on the k20d it seemed that the LV was very low resolution and zooming in was just magnifying the low res pic.

how is it on the k7? is it clear and detailed when you zoom in to check focus. I am talking about manual focus here
06-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #88
Veteran Member

as an addition, was the live view very useful? how does it compare with other dSLRs with live view? thanks frank !
06-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
how is it on the k7? is it clear and detailed when you zoom in to check focus. I am talking about manual focus here
The live view image is much improved. I had some trouble with zooming in LV mode (done via the Info button, instead of the back wheel as it should) - but the K20D pixelation was fixed.
06-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I tried the live view on the new camera, and shot quite some video too. When shooting videos, the viewfinder is blocked by the mirror, you have to use the LCD to frame and focus (manually). The new LCD is way way better than the one on K20D. Believe me, it's day and night difference