Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2009, 06:14 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Just tested on the distortion correction for RAW output, yes, it is effective. The RAW file is definitely corrected when this option is enabled
Thanks for the check.
I file this then under "firmware issues".

06-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just tested on the distortion correction for RAW output, yes, it is effective. The RAW file is definitely corrected when this option is enabled
That's what I heard from John C. Woohoo that'd be fantastic! I'd want it to correct CA and distortion on RAW files too

Thanks Frank!

Diego
06-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #48
Inactive Account

Yes, CA and distortion correction for RAW files would be a killer feature for me. I hate using external programs to do this kind of PP. The negative side is that I need pentax lenses for this to work. Only have one at the moment :/
06-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #49
Inactive Account

That's a lot of luggage for one person....

Nice review and photos, thanks for posting.

06-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
That's a lot of luggage for one person....
Two life-boats, though...no waiting!
06-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #51
Veteran Member

One follow-up question:
Due to the distortion correction the curved parts of the image are cut off.
This would mean that the image becomes smaller.
But the JPG I have has the same size as the uncorrected file, even though the borders are cut off. So it is blown up.
I am wondering what is happening to the RAW file in this case?
06-09-2009, 06:46 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
But the JPG I have has the same size as the uncorrected file, even though the borders are cut off. So it is blown up.
I am wondering what is happening to the RAW file in this case?
Interesting point. I assume that since you don't want detail to be lost, you would want to blow up the image. I.e. pull out the corners for barrel distortion and pull out the center for pin cushion distortion.

Problem I see with this feature is that you should frame for it, i.e. with some margin at the edge of the image. With a 95% viewfinder the 5% information outside the viewfinder could be used and nothing seen would be lost, not so with the 100% viewfinder the K-7 offers. But I guess the distortion is never quite very dramatic?

I wonder too...

Wim

06-09-2009, 07:12 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Here is my example in full.
It's by hand without tripod, but you can see that the borders are cropped off.

Animated GIF: with/without distortion correction
DA16-50@16mm

Last edited by blende8; 06-09-2009 at 07:22 AM.
06-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #54
and
Veteran Member

hm its quite dramatic how much it cuts off actually if you were carefully framing.
I guess perhaps that combined with slower speed means I will turn it off.
I think JCPentax said the new software would have this feature? So you could shoot raw with it off and then apply it afterwards in PP if you wanted.
Hopefully its laid out as an easy one click operation that you can batch.
06-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Hmm, sounds nice actually. I wouldn't mind having these kind of corrections for RAW file if they really work. But how did you test that the RAW is definitely corrected in camera? If you checked with the camera playback function, isn't the photo shown the embedded jpg image? Or did you convert with RAWs with the new pentax software? In that case the program might be doing the tricks. Sorry for asking these questions but it's weird to see totally different opinions from two actual camera testers.
OKay, you got me here. I only checked the file on the camera LCD. Then opened it up w/ FastStone, both showed the photo as corrected. But when I opened it (DNG) in photoshop, it's curved as non correction at all Oh well, sorry I made the wrong statement above. Blende was right
06-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From what I've read, the distortion corrections are stored with the RAW file but not automatically applied to it, so you can apply the corrections using the Pentax software included with the camera. It sounds like if you wanted to use Adobe Lightroom or another program you would have to correct the RAWs first in the Pentax program.

And thanks for the review Frank! Way to make me regret that I can't afford the FA*80-200
06-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #57
Veteran Member

OKay, you got me here. I only checked the file on the camera LCD. Then opened it up w/ FastStone, both showed the photo as corrected. But when I opened it (DNG) in photoshop, it's curved as non correction at all Oh well, sorry I made the wrong statement above. Blende was right
You're forgiven Frank!

Too bad, so I won't be able to use the lens corrections after all. Shame, but I was never really bothered by distortions anyway and Lightroom has OK tools for fixing CA/PF... Not deal breaker at all.

Wim
06-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just as well. I don't think messing with the raw files in camera is a good idea. A much better solution would be to store this information in the raw files in a format that is readable by raw converters.
06-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
From what I've read, the distortion corrections are stored with the RAW file but not automatically applied to it, so you can apply the corrections using the Pentax software included with the camera. It sounds like if you wanted to use Adobe Lightroom or another program you would have to correct the RAWs first in the Pentax program.

And thanks for the review Frank! Way to make me regret that I can't afford the FA*80-200
Okay, so the bundled Pentax software might do the trick That'd be nice ...
06-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Hmm.. I use lightroom though So the corrections won't show up there?