Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #91
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know the lcd is better, but that doesnt help if the live view is low resolution when you zoom in, which is what I was asking about

06-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #92
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
The new LCD is way way better than the one on K20D. Believe me, it's day and night difference
E gads, don't tell me that, I'm broke How is the K7 base iso noise compared to the K20?My K20 at base iso always seems a smidgen noisier than my K10D.
06-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Hmm, I thought the noise comes from the lens movement, not the camera? Just checked again w/ the kit lens, it's pretty noisy but still from the lens, not the camera.

Believe me, the AF improvement w/ non-SDM lenses is more obvious then w/ SDM lenses The AF locks much faster than K10D or K20D w/ a non-SDM lens mounted. For SDM lens, I only tested the DA*1650 on all three cameras, K-7 is definitely faster, but the improvement isn't as obvious as w/ a non-SDM lens like the kit lens or FA77, or DA21 ...
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I think I can answer this one. Tried the K-7 that frank has with his FA 31mm and another K-7 with the DA 35mm macro and focusing is very quiet, very quick and precise. Leagues ahead of the istD or K100D I'm afraid.
Just posted some more photos taken by the new K-7 camera here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/62998-some-photos-zoo-w-...-80-200-a.html
Hi Frank! Hope you and family is doing well... I see you continue to use your father (that's your dad, right?) for the mugshot series...

I noticed you shot with the FA* 80-200/2.8 as well. This leads me to some questions, since they were only partially answered above, but still very useful answers!

Regarding noise: how noisy was the FA* lens with the K-7? I am asking because the kit lens and a few other lenses' AF noise levels were mentioned, but not the FA* lens.

Your comments about screw drive lenses being quieter is very yet faster is in relation to the motor noise in the camera body, not the lens, IIRC. The AF noise level is pretty much the same for any screw driven lens I own on the K10D. I spoke with someone who used it and he commented that the K-7 was definitely quieter AF with a screw driven lens, hence my question to you.

I am anticipating using the FA* 300/2.8 with the K-7... now that would be a nice change!!! A reduced AF noise level, faster/more accurate AF... more FPS, etc., etc.....

Take care and best wishes as always.

Regards,
Marc
06-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #94

and for the noise at 3200 or 6400 iso, is it better than the K20 ?

06-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #95
and
Veteran Member

Im not so concerned about 3200 and 6400 iso, but I am concerned about noise at base ISO, base has to be noise free. if you up the iso you do so knowlingly and expect some noise but if base has shadow noise then you have nowhere to go. and with the lower DR of apsc often u need to underexpose not to burn out the sky and then push the shadows.
guess we weont know about noise untill firmware 1.0 tho
06-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #96
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Im not so concerned about 3200 and 6400 iso, but I am concerned about noise at base ISO, base has to be noise free. if you up the iso you do so knowlingly and expect some noise but if base has shadow noise then you have nowhere to go. and with the lower DR of apsc often u need to underexpose not to burn out the sky and then push the shadows.
guess we weont know about noise untill firmware 1.0 tho
Yeah I'm with ya.Most people seem most concerned with high iso.It will be the low iso that makes the K7 buying decision for myself.I find I use the K10 I bought a couple months ago much more than my K20 for this reason.
06-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know the lcd is better, but that doesnt help if the live view is low resolution when you zoom in, which is what I was asking about
Sorry I didn't check this. Will check it again tomorrow

QuoteOriginally posted by cloudswimmer Quote
E gads, don't tell me that, I'm broke How is the K7 base iso noise compared to the K20?My K20 at base iso always seems a smidgen noisier than my K10D.
The camera I'm using only got v0.3 firmware, I think the noise control is pretty good. I never really check about this, just use the camera as I've been using my K20D and K10D. So far I'm pretty happy w/ the results. The keeper ratio is definitely higher than w/ the K10D and K20D.

QuoteOriginally posted by bonneteau Quote
and for the noise at 3200 or 6400 iso, is it better than the K20 ?
Can't tell 'cause I haven't done any side by side comparison on this thing. I'll see what I can do about this. But it's just a beta testing camera, can't judge the final IQ base on the current one I guess

QuoteOriginally posted by cloudswimmer Quote
Yeah I'm with ya.Most people seem most concerned with high iso.It will be the low iso that makes the K7 buying decision for myself.I find I use the K10 I bought a couple months ago much more than my K20 for this reason.
I'll do a comparison w/ K10D and K-7 at low ISO if I got chance. Will update here. But it doesn't make much sense anyway since it's a pre-production camera ...

06-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Hi Frank! Hope you and family is doing well... I see you continue to use your father (that's your dad, right?) for the mugshot series...

I noticed you shot with the FA* 80-200/2.8 as well. This leads me to some questions, since they were only partially answered above, but still very useful answers!

Regarding noise: how noisy was the FA* lens with the K-7? I am asking because the kit lens and a few other lenses' AF noise levels were mentioned, but not the FA* lens.

Your comments about screw drive lenses being quieter is very yet faster is in relation to the motor noise in the camera body, not the lens, IIRC. The AF noise level is pretty much the same for any screw driven lens I own on the K10D. I spoke with someone who used it and he commented that the K-7 was definitely quieter AF with a screw driven lens, hence my question to you.

I am anticipating using the FA* 300/2.8 with the K-7... now that would be a nice change!!! A reduced AF noise level, faster/more accurate AF... more FPS, etc., etc.....

Take care and best wishes as always.

Regards,
Marc
Hi Marc,

The family are great! Especially the kids, all grown up alot. And yes, it's my dad, the best model I've ever shot at He's just so patient, and he asks for nothing in return

As to the noisy level, I didn't really compare, I think it's creampuff who claimed that AF w/ screw lenses seems to be quieter than on K20D. I haven't really noticed. Will give it a try tomorrow and see how. Tomorrow we got this wakeboarding competition to shoot at, and it's our local Pentaxian's gathering day too

K-7 and FA*300/2.8 will make a perfect combo for action or stage photography

Will try to get back to you guys again next week, if I got chance to play the K-7 camera again over the weekend.
06-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #99
Forum Member

Roger that Frank.Thanks and have a great weekend!

Chris
06-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
one more observation...
Seems the strong wb correction is doing a better job than the normal one. but then why is strong not the default, is there a catch.
The strong correction will shoot down your sunset shots.
06-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tested the K-7 camera over the weekend. F*300/4.5 and FA*85/1.4 made about the same noise when mounted on the K-7 or K10D. So I guess K-7 won't make AF quieter if using an F/FA *lens.

Live view is indeed a lot better on the improved LCD.

AF.C is so much better and consistent. Here is a sample of 14 shots w/ AF.C in 5 seconds of a wake boarder, all pretty much spot on (K-7 + F*300/4.5 wide open):

Here is one of the above:

Last edited by frank; 06-15-2009 at 06:37 AM.
06-15-2009, 06:48 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Superb sequence frank...
Razor quick AF lock, spot on exposure and WB, plus faster frame rate make for a killer combo.
This should silence all the Pentax armchair critics...
06-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #103
Inactive Account

Happy to hear the reports of improved tracking, but if I'm understanding this sequence correctly it shouldn't have been a challenging scenario, right? I mean, this is movement mostly parallel to the sensor plane, moving left to right. That's easy. The real challenge is when the subject distance to the camera changes significantly from frame to frame, i.e. movement toward or away from camera. Got any sequences like that, or at least impressions from shooting such a sequence?
06-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #104

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Happy to hear the reports of improved tracking, but if I'm understanding this sequence correctly it shouldn't have been a challenging scenario, right? I mean, this is movement mostly parallel to the sensor plane, moving left to right. That's easy. The real challenge is when the subject distance to the camera changes significantly from frame to frame, i.e. movement toward or away from camera. Got any sequences like that, or at least impressions from shooting such a sequence?
Check this out. Pigeon's second shot, I think is really impressive. If not mistaken DA*60-250 was used.
06-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Frank > ooh! LF ultra suctions bindings! I had those before