Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
AF.C is so much better and consistent. Here is a sample of 14 shots w/ AF.C in 5 seconds of a wake boarder, all pretty much spot on (K-7 + F*300/4.5 wide open):
14 shots in 5 seconds makes less than 3fps.

Was your K-7 set to low speed mode or it suffers from the same thing as previous Pentax DSLRS were suffering: they deliver full speed continuous shooting only when AF is off.

06-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Happy to hear the reports of improved tracking, but if I'm understanding this sequence correctly it shouldn't have been a challenging scenario, right? I mean, this is movement mostly parallel to the sensor plane, moving left to right. That's easy. The real challenge is when the subject distance to the camera changes significantly from frame to frame, i.e. movement toward or away from camera. Got any sequences like that, or at least impressions from shooting such a sequence?
Talk is easy on the internet...
FYI, the circuit is elliptical and the wake boarders grab onto a cable system. It would be challenging enough to shoot if they were moving left to right parallel in front of the camera, but they are also traveling at an angle in order to build up speed. You can't even pre-focus manually at a spot as every wake boarder's entry and exit spot is different, and they are going at some speed. Plus getting a spot on exposure isn't that easy.
06-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #108
AM2
Forum Member

damn

You're killing me Frank, this post (and the one by creampuff) makes the wait so much harder. Thanks for the nice images and impression, though!

-AM
06-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote

Was your K-7 set to low speed mode or it suffers from the same thing as previous Pentax DSLRS were suffering: they deliver full speed continuous shooting only when AF is off.
Well, I was shooting in AF.C, but not in 5.2fps burst mode Otherwise I'd end up w/ over 25 shots in 5 seconds. And believe me, K-7 really bursts when set to 5.2fps

06-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AM2 Quote
You're killing me Frank, this post (and the one by creampuff) makes the wait so much harder. Thanks for the nice images and impression, though!

-AM
Yeah, just sharing my feeling about the new camera. It's still an early beta version, I'm sure the final one would be even better
06-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Happy to hear the reports of improved tracking, but if I'm understanding this sequence correctly it shouldn't have been a challenging scenario, right? I mean, this is movement mostly parallel to the sensor plane, moving left to right. That's easy. The real challenge is when the subject distance to the camera changes significantly from frame to frame, i.e. movement toward or away from camera. Got any sequences like that, or at least impressions from shooting such a sequence?
As creampuff said above, the wake boarders came from an angle, the jump stage was the closest point where you can see the frame is really too tight to fill in one person. But I know it's more challenging if the subject is moving towards or away from the camera
06-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #112
Veteran Member

btw Pentax Japan has set the offical date for K-7, start selling on June 27th.

06-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Source?

What is the source for this date?

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
btw Pentax Japan has set the offical date for K-7, start selling on June 27th.
06-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #114
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Talk is easy on the internet...
FYI, the circuit is elliptical and the wake boarders grab onto a cable system. It would be challenging enough to shoot if they were moving left to right parallel in front of the camera, but they are also traveling at an angle in order to build up speed. You can't even pre-focus manually at a spot as every wake boarder's entry and exit spot is different, and they are going at some speed. Plus getting a spot on exposure isn't that easy.
Hey, if left-to-right movement is difficult to you, then maybe you should use a real camera that can autofocus continuously Just givin' ya a hard time, man.

Thanks for the explanation. If you look at the posted sequence though there's not terribly much change in subject size, which indicates that any change in subject distance to the camera was minimal during the sequence. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I would expect just about any current DSLR to track that kind of movement satisfactorily.

Yeah, talk is easy. But I've shot enough sports to know what's challenging for AF to deal with and what isn't. Regardless, it's definitely encouraging to hear so many positive reports on the AF.
06-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
What is the source for this date?

Right on Pentax Japan website, under News, the first item:
[お知らせ] 高画質デジタル一眼レフカメラ「PENTAX K-7」発売日6月27日(土) に決定

See Link: Pentax Japan

and also, http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20090616_294154.html
06-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Dangerous reading and seeing the pictures. Wanting the K7 even more now
06-15-2009, 11:35 PM   #117
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Battery Life

hey Frank I have a question I havn't seen asked yet of the beta testers for the K7. Quite possible I missed it, either way how is the battery life from what you've noticed.
06-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #118

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
hey Frank I have a question I havn't seen asked yet of the beta testers for the K7. Quite possible I missed it, either way how is the battery life from what you've noticed.
We got over 550 shots and just 2.5GB of video with one bar left on the battery. Though when we got home, it did say 2 bars left. Either way, I think that was very good!
06-16-2009, 03:15 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote

I started reporting about my K-7 findings in a parallel thread and you could be interested to see my AF.C, part I posting here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/635256-post19.html

(as the test was rather long, there is additional info linked from there)

From this background experience, I say this: Even if Frank did shoot in hi burst, 14 images in 5 seconds isn't bad. In hi burst, a Nikon D300 could do 15 images in 3.6 seconds in an equivalent test where the K-7 did 14 (cf. above). This is 70% of full speed for the Nikon and 75% for the Pentax. Not bad at all.

Independently from this (and yet to be posted by me), the K-7 AF.C burst rate can drop to less than 2 images/s if you really, really challenge the AF I expect no difference with other vendors if the AF is supposed to do anything at all ...

As a side note ... The K-7 can only sustain full hi burst for 5 sec if you select JPG and 2/3 star quality. Otherwise, the buffer fills after 3s.
06-16-2009, 03:42 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Are you using sandisk extreme III's?