Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Be objective about it mate...
What do you *need* all those improvements of the K-7 for?
The quality of the sensor is the limiting factor of the body - all the other features are hardly as important.

If you can get the quality of images you need/want with your K100D, the K20D will more than suffice. Sure, the K-7 would be nice to have, and with some cash made to spare would be the way to go, but in the end will the K-7 give you results above and beyond the K20D's, making you a more prolific photographer?
My buddy frank's testing of the K-7 and my own little play around with it points to the same thing... more keepers with the K-7 compared to the K20D. Just better results straight out from the camera with less PP needed when compared to the K20D especially in incandescent and mixed lighting situations plus less focus misses and a little better SR. And we're not even talking about the many other nifty little features or video...

Where I'm at, I can't even dump my lightly used K20D because it seems like everyone has gone out and pre-ordered the K-7...

06-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
My buddy frank's testing of the K-7 and my own little play around with it points to the same thing... more keepers with the K-7 compared to the K20D. Just better results straight out from the camera with less PP needed when compared to the K20D especially in incandescent and mixed lighting situations plus less focus misses and a little better SR. And we're not even talking about the many other nifty little features or video...

Where I'm at, I can't even dump my lightly used K20D because it seems like everyone has gone out and pre-ordered the K-7...
if you sell the body for 400-500, somebody might get interested?

not me, of course. since I'm one of those who pre-ordered the K-7.
06-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Be objective about it mate...
What do you *need* all those improvements of the K-7 for?
The quality of the sensor is the limiting factor of the body - all the other features are hardly as important.

If you can get the quality of images you need/want with your K100D, the K20D will more than suffice. Sure, the K-7 would be nice to have, and with some cash made to spare would be the way to go, but in the end will the K-7 give you results above and beyond the K20D's, making you a more prolific photographer?
in my case, YES it does !
06-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
This is probably a common question but here I go......I currently have a K100d with a Sigma 18-125 zoom and a Sigma 10-20 wide angle zoom. I am really happy with the camera and the wide angle zoom (the other zoom is not too bad) but am looking to upgrade to a K20, sell the K100 and the 18-125 zoom and keep the wide angle. I can buy the K20 with a Pentax SMC P-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Lens for $990 AUD which has to be the bargain of the decade! OR is it really worth paying an extra $700 -$800 AUD and get the K7 with a similar lens? Any ideas...thanks.
A number of us with relatively recently acquired K20D's likely will be asking a variation of your question: does the K-7 represent a sufficient advance over the K20D to warrant "upgrading" and either selling our K20D's or (in my case) relegating them to backup status? From where I sit, I can't answer that question yet.

It's pretty clear that the new camera offers a feature set well beyond what's in the K20D; less clear - at least to me - is whether the "core" capability (IQ, AF performance, etc.) of the new camera will offer meaningful advantages over that of the K20D in real-world amateur photography.

We'll soon be able to answer such questions as the camera goes into production and gets into the hands of forum members. Frankly, I'm optimistic the K-7 will, in fact, prove to be a real winner, and - of course - history suggests that the $1300 (US) introductory price tag will erode in a fairly short time - which will make the camera even more desirable.

Jer

06-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

K20D, keep the 18-125mm.
06-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well of course everyong is in raptures about the K7 (and why not I ask?) but until it has been extensively reviewed and tested we really don't know how good it is. I realise that at the end of the day there probably will not be a huge difference in the image quality between the K7 and K20-afterall they are using basically the same sensor. I think that what pushes me towards the K7 is; get it now so I don't have to think about upgrading again for a while.
06-11-2009, 10:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Well of course everyong is in raptures about the K7 (and why not I ask?) but until it has been extensively reviewed and tested we really don't know how good it is. I realise that at the end of the day there probably will not be a huge difference in the image quality between the K7 and K20-afterall they are using basically the same sensor. I think that what pushes me towards the K7 is; get it now so I don't have to think about upgrading again for a while.
I think one of the idea should be, get it now before it gets too expensive once it's demands rises. same for it's lenses.
06-12-2009, 02:41 AM   #23

This is probably a common question but here I go......I currently have a K100d with a Sigma 18-125 zoom and a Sigma 10-20 wide angle zoom. I am really happy with the camera and the wide angle zoom (the other zoom is not too bad) but am looking to upgrade to a K20, sell the K100 and the 18-125 zoom and keep the wide angle. I can buy the K20 with a Pentax SMC P-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Lens for $990 AUD which has to be the bargain of the decade! OR is it really worth paying an extra $700 -$800 AUD and get the K7 with a similar lens? Any ideas...thanks.
If money is not the deciding factor then it is no contest. I have handled and played with a K7 pre-production model at SRS in the UK last week. Once you've actually handled it (rather than relying on opinions of others in reviews or forums (shouldn't that be 'fora'?) or specification sheets you will fall for it bigtime.

I haven't felt this way about a camera since I first fell in love with my LX in 1981 and am still in love with it. Reserve all judgement until you can play with it, and then my bet is you won't be able to put it down or hand it back to the store owner. All other issues will evaporate!

LX digital is my ideal....I naively thought that all cameras were made that way, and maybe one day they will be

06-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well bodyheat it sounds that the k7 is a lot like a woman, if it feels as good as it looks its got to be hot right....?
06-17-2009, 06:32 AM   #25

I just wanted to say that for me, it was a "money matters" decision. I wanted to upgrade my DS this year and I knew that the "K-something" was on the way but I also knew it was going to be well out of my budget out of the gates, plus I'd already salivated over and left smudged fingerprints on the K20D numerous times at my local camera store. It was was going to be and is a huge step up for me. I'm impressed with image quality and despite my hestitation regarding the larger body-size and the fact that it wouldn't accept AA batteries in a fix, I'm loving the K20D. Maybe I'll regret my decision next year when the price falls on the K7 but I'll already have taken some great pictures in the past year and a half. All I know is once that K7 is finally out, I'm staying away from the camera store and this forum and going out to take some pictures!
06-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Dropped my K10D

I really had no intention of upgrading my K10D until I dropped it and left a big hole in the bottom where part of the plastic body fell off. I put the battery back in, re-installed the focus screen, turned it on, and it all still seems to work. Amazing, yes, but if it had not been for the big hole, I would have definitely looked for a K20D. As it is, the alloy body shell looked like a really big deal! I ordered my K7 yesterday
06-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #27
Forum Member

I would get the K20 now and wait till the k-8 comes out, then get the K-7
06-18-2009, 02:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A question that relates to upgrading;I have just had 2 photos printed professionally (epson stylus pro 3800). The images were taken with my K100 and sigma 10-20, tweaked in Lightroom and resized in photoshop to 425mm x 145mm, 240dpi. The images appear reasonably sharp on screen but are not very sharp at all as prints with visiible blocking up close in the shadow areas. Now to the question....is this a limitation of only having 6.1 megapixels and will there be a big difference going to 14.2 (for that size print and larger)?
06-18-2009, 04:06 AM   #29

I think your problem it's on the picture taken or in ypur PP workflow
or in the printing, I have some 700x500 mm prints from a 5MP camera
and those doesn't have the problems you stated, 6.1MP are plenty for
the print size of your prints.

P.S. I think it's not a good idea to resize images before printing
06-18-2009, 05:16 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I think there are a couple of things to point out here that are not really true iin your response.

While the sensor is the same MP count as the K20, the reports say it is optimized for HDTV resolution and video. This means that it is designed to stay powered longer, and implies better thermal management of the sensor. This should (not i don't claim it will ) make for lower noise, since heat is part of the cause of noise.

ALso, there are additional improvements, including a new shutter with 1/250 sync speed (this to me implies faster traversing of the shutter) and also 5FPS frame rate. Both of these are big mechanical changes and improvements.

As far as every one waiting for "reviews to see how good it is" when has that ever stopped anyone from buying one.

The real question in terms of upgrading is does the camera offer a significant improvement over what you have right now.

I own a K10D, and did not get a K20 right away, although I am now thinking the high ISO may make it worth while to go for a K7 or K20 at some point.
- The K 7 is reported to meter better with Manual lenses, that is a big issue for me.
- The image processing should be faster,

Aside from these two points the cameras are probably about equal. I will wait until the euphoria dies down, and then make a decision, but probably K7 due to metering.