Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2009, 04:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
which upgrade K20d or k7?

This is probably a common question but here I go......I currently have a K100d with a Sigma 18-125 zoom and a Sigma 10-20 wide angle zoom. I am really happy with the camera and the wide angle zoom (the other zoom is not too bad) but am looking to upgrade to a K20, sell the K100 and the 18-125 zoom and keep the wide angle. I can buy the K20 with a Pentax SMC P-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Lens for $990 AUD which has to be the bargain of the decade! OR is it really worth paying an extra $700 -$800 AUD and get the K7 with a similar lens? Any ideas...thanks.

06-09-2009, 05:12 AM   #2

I don't have a similar lens set, but I do have a K100d and I will be upgrading within a year (hopefully). I've started saving. I plan on getting the K-7 and I will be keeping the K100d as a backup body (I'm quite happy with the performance of it).

I interested in seeing the low light results of the K-7 but everything else is a no-brainer (for what I want out of a camera). I like the alloy body, weather sealing and size of the K-7 (I'll have to hold one before buying, of course). The stats all look great and the video is an added bonus. I know I'll make use of the 1/8000 shutter speed and the extra Frames Per Second.

I'd consider a K20 if the price was right and it felt better in my hand, but I have my sights fixed on the K-7, so I doubt I'll second guess myself in the store.
06-09-2009, 05:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes it would be a good idea to handle both in a camera shop...do like the looks of the K7 and as you say the specs are a no brainer. Mind you all pentax cameras feel damn good...could be a difficult decision, but in the end price will dictate the final outcome.....unless I fall in love with the K7!
06-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd say go with the K20d unless the video capability of the K-7 is important to you. To me, that's the only thing that could justify the major price difference. Image quality should be very similar. K-7 will have some improvements in various areas - focus speed, frames per second, etc., along with a sexier body, but I don't think those things alone are worth the price difference right now. I upgraded from the K100d to the K20D about eight months ago and I just love the K20d, although the K100d was also a great camera. Depending on what you can get for the K100d you might want to consider keeping it as a backup. I gave mine to a close friend (from whom I can always borrow it if something happens to my K20d) and she's been taking a lot of nice photos with it. It's reinvigorated her interest in photography, and I'm still impressed by the images that camera captures whenever I look at them.

06-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it also depends on what all you want to do long term.

I have a lot of manual aperture lenses, and the K10D and K20D don't meter well with these lenses.

The people who have tried the K7 report much better metering with the K7 and for me, that could be a decider between K20 and K7 (I already have a K10D)

The down side for me is that I generally keep my old bodies, (I still have a *istD) and use it for many things, but want the better High ISO performance of the CMOS sensor.

The K20D for me has an advantage of using the same battery and if I go for one a grip, but that is not a big issue compared to the metering.
06-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #6

It may be helpful if you say what type of photos you like to take. That could be a MAJOR factor in deciding.

For example, I take mostly event photos that are often in less than ideal lighting. Depending on how fast the K-7 can lock on focus under adverse conditions would be my make or break point. The rest of the upgrades would just be icing.
06-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm thinking about the same thing. I like my K10D very much. I would like the better AF in low light and more accurate metering of manual lenses reported for the K-7 (though the K-7 does not solve the problem of the lobotomized K-mount). I'm leaning toward the K20d because 1) it's around half the price of the K-7; 2) its bugs are known and 3)it operates more like my K10d and takes many of the same accessories.

There definitely is a K-7 somewhere in my future. I like just about everything I've heard about it. It is just hard to pass up the bargain that the K20 has become right now. I'd probably consider a K-M for the moment if it had been built with the K20 sensor instead of the K10.

06-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #8

I went from K100D->K10D->K20D, now with the new K7 is out, i personally will go for K7. From the review the K7 is smaller, much faster AF, video Weather seal and more. K20D is nice, but compare to the K100D, the AF is not much big difference, body is much better than K100D, Battery is better. Liveview is useless on K20D. So the upgrade from K100D to K20D is not that big of jump. I think it's all depend on your budget, do you need that many new features and faster AF or you can live with the K20D. I'm just a weekend shooter, but the K20D is too slow. So i'm looking forward to get my hand on the K7.
06-09-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments. It will be some time before the K7 drops significantly in price so I am thinking of going for the K20-it really is a great deal. Perhaps the K7 further down the track??
06-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

with the way things are going with the K-7, I believe you should go with it rather than the K20D. I just have this uneasy feeling that the K-7's price might go up and stays there for a while, just like the D300's price 2 years ago. I believe that the K-7 created a buzz far from the ones created by the K20D. the marketing success coupled by interests by most people made the K-7 a hot item. for sure, once the K-7 goes out and see the results, the prices would soar as early as 1 A.M. in the morning. I dunno, probably Pentax would increase it further by 200 or 300. the same bracket as that of the D300. worst would be beyond that price range. unless you are willing to shell some more greens for that particular possibility.
06-09-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
This is probably a common question but here I go......I currently have a K100d with a Sigma 18-125 zoom and a Sigma 10-20 wide angle zoom. I am really happy with the camera and the wide angle zoom (the other zoom is not too bad) but am looking to upgrade to a K20, sell the K100 and the 18-125 zoom and keep the wide angle. I can buy the K20 with a Pentax SMC P-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Lens for $990 AUD which has to be the bargain of the decade! OR is it really worth paying an extra $700 -$800 AUD and get the K7 with a similar lens? Any ideas...thanks.
If $700 - $800 AUD isn't a huge a deal then go with the K-7....if it is...the K20d is a bargain right now....or wait a bit longer and it will go down further. From all the hype....you might be happier with the K-7 in the long run....or you could have a K20d with cash to space. I sold my K20d for a K-7 preorder.....it sounds like it is worth it to me....
06-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

K-7 - No Brainer!

K-7, no doubt here, otherwise you'll remorse!

K-7 is the brand new designed/improved/debugged body from Pentax in the recent years. Mind you that the K20D is just a K10D with a different sensor and some other minor tweaks.

Yes, you'll save much cost for the K20D. But then I would like to ask: *Why* UPGRADE? Keeping your K100 will even save much! :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
06-10-2009, 03:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

As one who had the K100D awhile back, (seems like eons ago) and now with the K20D, I can tell you that you should unequivocally go for the K-7. It is really a ground breaking camera and the Pentax engineers have done a stellar job making plenty of improvements over the K20D. Buy the K20D only if you are really desperately short of cash... there are enough improvements over the discontinued K100D but if you can cough up the difference, buy the K-7... my advice as one who has played briefly with it.
06-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok I think you guys have talked me into it..after whats $700 or $800 after all?? Long term the K7 will probably be the wise choice. If the tax man is kind to me this year I think I can stretch the budget. I hope to make some more money out of selling my photos so I guess it will be a good investment! Thanks for all your comments.
06-11-2009, 02:33 AM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be objective about it mate...
What do you *need* all those improvements of the K-7 for?
The quality of the sensor is the limiting factor of the body - all the other features are hardly as important.

If you can get the quality of images you need/want with your K100D, the K20D will more than suffice. Sure, the K-7 would be nice to have, and with some cash made to spare would be the way to go, but in the end will the K-7 give you results above and beyond the K20D's, making you a more prolific photographer?