Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Will Weather Sealed K20D & 50-135 resist salt water?

I went to beach last weekend with my friends shooting with my K20D & DA* 16-50 & 50-135.
One time when I got so close to the rock, the wind got stronger and a big wave splashed all over me and my camera (at that time the 50-135 was mounted).
My body instantaneously turn around to protect my camera as a reflex but since the wave's splash was pretty big, it still splash over my camera & lens.

I am not that worried with the lens since it can easily be wiped off.
Later I even use some fresh bottled water to rinse the camera & lens.
What I worry about is the small area where the dial mode recessed in the viewfinder box. I'm sure there is some salt water slipped in there but I couldn't wipe it off so I just let it dry on air.

So, in the long run, will a salt water cause damage to the sealing since it contains salt?
If yes, any tips on how to clean your camera/lens after getting soaked with salt water?

Thanks for the help!

06-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Salt water won't hurt the seal. If you rinsed the camera properly, you are not likely to find any salt crystal forming anywhere to damage the camera.
06-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

wipe/rinse afterwards. saltwater is corrosive I believe. A damp cloth will be fine
06-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh and use a strong blower to get rid of water, dirt and salt in the areas you can't reach

06-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Forum Member

Sounds like an "Im glad I shoot Pentax" moment. I've had my k10d splashed with salt water with no ill effects - has not happened to my k20d but its supposed to be better protected.
06-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amicah22 Quote
Sounds like an "Im glad I shoot Pentax" moment. I've had my k10d splashed with salt water with no ill effects - has not happened to my k20d but its supposed to be better protected.
I have not heard that. Both use the same body, both have 72 seals. ??
06-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you might want to put lens and camera (separated with no caps and all covers off) in a bag along with some silica gell to insure no moisture got in either from the wave or the rinse afterwards.

FYI I drenched my *istD when my kayak got swamped. had to pull the batteries to turn it off as it went into funny shooting modes and I could not turn it off even with the power switch.

pulled all covers and left it in the sun to dry for 4 hours. That was 5 years and 11000 shots ago. never been in for service

06-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Salt water won't hurt the seal. If you rinsed the camera properly, you are not likely to find any salt crystal forming anywhere to damage the camera.
Thanks, Flyer. That's what I did the first time after it get soaked with salt water.

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Oh and use a strong blower to get rid of water, dirt and salt in the areas you can't reach
Thanks for the idea Diego. That day I used my regular blower for the sensor. But after reading your suggestion, I got the canned air blower from my office and used it on my camera last night. I don't know if it helps since there is no more water after 3 days .

QuoteOriginally posted by amicah22 Quote
Hehehe..it's true. At that event, none of my friends who has their Canon dare to bring their camera. Because they're afraid of regular water drop, leave alone salt water from a wave
After they saw my K20D & DA*50-135 got drenched. Someone looked at my camera and said "Oh no, your camera got wet?". I said "Yup, but it's weather sealed. So I'm not worried." Then I get some bottled water to rinse it. Wanna guess how that guy's face look like:?

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you might want to put lens and camera (separated with no caps and all covers off) in a bag along with some silica gell to insure no moisture got in either from the wave or the rinse afterwards.

FYI I drenched my *istD when my kayak got swamped. had to pull the batteries to turn it off as it went into funny shooting modes and I could not turn it off even with the power switch.

pulled all covers and left it in the sun to dry for 4 hours. That was 5 years and 11000 shots ago. never been in for service
Thanks, Lowell. I did that too after I rinsed it. I leave it in my camera backpack and put all of my silica gel with it.

I won't be too worried if it's a fresh water. It's the corrosive salt that I'm afraid of ruining the seals.
06-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Actually I think this is a terrible idea.. I would never use a "strong" blower to remove water from any sensitive item.. You are more likely to blow the water through the seal.. same reason you shouldn’t rinse your bikes with high pressure hoses or use an air compressor to blow the water off your motorcycle. In fact I do a lot of salt water fishing and all the reel manufacturers specifically recommend against compressed air after a fresh water rinse down.
06-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
Actually I think this is a terrible idea.. I would never use a "strong" blower to remove water from any sensitive item.. You are more likely to blow the water through the seal.. same reason you shouldn’t rinse your bikes with high pressure hoses or use an air compressor to blow the water off your motorcycle. In fact I do a lot of salt water fishing and all the reel manufacturers specifically recommend against compressed air after a fresh water rinse down.
Hmm. Sounds like a good point. Thanks.

I guess a regular blower then? I use my "rocket blower"