Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2007, 01:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
For the studio guys with K10D....

How do you guys set the camera for focus. Manual or do you select the focus point in auto mode for every shot. I'm having my first shoot tomorrow and wnat to be efficient but yet get good results. Thanks.

04-27-2007, 01:53 AM   #2
Kim

I'm propably not a "studio guy", but I've done a few studio shoots. I use AF and manually select the focus point. Works fine for me.
04-27-2007, 02:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yep - me too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Quote
I'm propably not a "studio guy", but I've done a few studio shoots. I use AF and manually select the focus point. Works fine for me.
I use the K10D in the studio now and again and also use AF with manual point selection. So far very accurate and no problems.

Bear in mind that you really dont want to use a wide aperture in a studio situation unless you really want the shallow DOF effect for artistic reasons. F8 gives enough DOF on a 100mm lens at 3M (about 20cm) to keep the face and hair in focus but still defocus the backdrop. Use F1,8 and the DOF is down to around 2cm, which can look groovy but slight movement of you or the model can throw the leading eye OOF quite easily.

I normally set the lights for 1/125 at F10 on the incident light meter and set the camera manually. If I need to make a slight adjustment while shooting I will go F9 - F11 as required.
04-27-2007, 04:11 AM   #4

Original Poster
Got it. So when you choose your focus point for a headshot I suppose it's the eyes....but if it's a full length then where? I guess it diesn't matter a smuch people the lens is stopped down anyways? Am I understanding?

04-27-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Phot Shoots in General

QuoteOriginally posted by sharpshoota Quote
How do you guys set the camera for focus. Manual or do you select the focus point in auto mode for every shot. I'm having my first shoot tomorrow and wnat to be efficient but yet get good results. Thanks.
I always use the auto focus function when using my camera. I always double confirm the focus before firing. In almost all cases it has worked well for me ever since using AF since 1988 or so.

Ben
04-27-2007, 11:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Depends on what you're shooting. For product images, it can be either manual or auto depending on the item. For smaller objects, it is always manual due to the often narrow depth of field.

For people (which seems to be what you're interested in), it is auto focus unless situations force otherwise. For close-ups of people's faces, the "rule" is to always focus on the eyes. This is less rigid with full body shots because the depth of field is usually wide enough to keep everything in reasonable focus. I rarely worry about it in either case (close-ups or full-body), since depth of field is usually wide enough in either - in other words, auto focus usually does just fine.

Groups can be another matter. With larger groups, I have occasionally had to use either manual focus or selective AF to focus on the point I want. I avoid this by simply avoiding larger groups (haven't done one in years).

stewart
04-28-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When shooting people in studio I am very pleased with the manual focus point selection in auto focus. Set the point closest to the subjects' eyes for minimal recomposing and let the camera do it's thing.

For macro I am a fan of manual focusing while using the optical depth of field preview to see the overall effect.