Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Batteries for K-m??

Hi, my girlfriend just bought a K-m

I've put in it precharged totally new batteries, panasonic Infinium 2100mAh, and surfed through camera's menu, shot several shots, and one with flash, and the batteries died...

so we've put the disposable lithium, that came with it.. I know they will last long.. but what is the rechargeable alternative?
which rechargeable batteries should we use?

what do you use? and how many shots do you get?

thanks in advance.

06-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's weird. Those Panasonic Infinium should be as good as Sanyo Eneloop. Recharged them fully and try again. If that didn't work, the camera is going back where it came from.
06-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
jdg
Forum Member

If the supplied lithiums lasts longer as advertised then there's nothing wrong with the cam.
06-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
That's weird. Those Panasonic Infinium should be as good as Sanyo Eneloop. Recharged them fully and try again. If that didn't work, the camera is going back where it came from.
WHAT? Lets review the logic. The camera works with $8 dollar energizer lithium batteries. It doesn't work with $20 panasonic infiniums. Conclusion? The camera must be broken?

Wtf. Its probably the batteries. What is described is EXACTLY what happens when batteries are not able to discharge the 1.5V per battery required by the camera. The battery dies...

Spend the $18.50 @ amazon and buy Sanyo Eneloops and charger.

06-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #5

ANNNNNNNNNNNND mystery solved>

Panasonic Infinium R03/AAA (4 pcs.) - Batterycity.eu

Only 1.2V per battery. Get the sanyo eneloops and save yourself the hassle of trying other batteries. The Sanyos are actually cheaper than most batteries. Its not that they are a lot of money, its that they discharge the right voltage.
06-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I would also recommend the Sanyoo Eneloops. I use the 2000 mAh rechargeables and I get 640-700 shots. Best bang for the buck. Got my Eneloops at Costco.
06-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jk333 Quote
ANNNNNNNNNNNND mystery solved>

Panasonic Infinium R03/AAA (4 pcs.) - Batterycity.eu

Only 1.2V per battery.
That's normal for NiMH. Pentax cameras are fine with the voltage that these batteries put out when fully charged, but if the voltage drops much at all, the camera can't use them. Most likely, although the cells were precharged, they weren't "fully" charged, and charging them normally would allow them to give 500-ish shots per charge, just like other "hybrid" NiMH's.

If not, I definitely suspect bad batteries before suspecting a bad camera. Most likely, just one is bad, and a good battery charger / tester might be able to sort out which.

06-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #8

just get some better NiMH batteries with 2000mah or more. Durcell, Sony and Energizer are pretty good, the charge can last very long. some other brand's discharge very fast even not use.
06-11-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
just get some better NiMH batteries with 2000mah or more. Durcell, Sony and Energizer are pretty good, the charge can last very long. some other brand's discharge very fast even not use.
Beg to differ, any of the LSD batteries would be a good choice. When comparing batteries a bloke named Silverfox on CandlePowerForums has tested more batteries than I knew existed and one thing was immediately evident. Most high power NiMh cannot sustain a constant enough voltage under load, and Energizers are junk (unless you are talking about disposable Lithium primaries, those are the cat's pajamas)! What that means is that while in a flash or flashlight you might get more flashes/hours out of the high capacity cells in a camera you will get premature battery low indications and shut downs.

Stick with the numerous instant on or precharged batteries like Sanyo eneloop, Uniross Hybro, Kodak Precharged, Maha IMEDION, etc. and your camera will be happier. Even though they are rated lower they seem to have the ability to sustain a higher voltage through a longer part of their discharge cycle. In a camera, more voltage = more shots.
06-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got the K200D with a grip. After I used the lithiums that came with the camera up I've only been using Eneloops. I've got 4 sets. 1 for the camera, 1 for the grip, 1 for my flash, and 1 spare set. Best investment I ever made. With the grip I can get between 1200 and 1500 shots with out having to change batteries. They also stay charged so I don't have to worry about them being dead when I need them. Do yourself a favor. Find some Sanyo Eneloops and get them You won't regret it. Also make sure you get a proper charger. You can buy Eneloops with a charger that works fine. My old NiMH charger will not properly charge my Eneloops. Just some more FYI.

Last edited by kkoether; 06-12-2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Added more info
06-17-2009, 12:03 AM   #11

I have 2 sets of these Sanyo 2700mah 1.2v for my K2000 for the high capacity and they last much longer then any other AA's i've used under 2700mah (including 1.5v), besides lithiums.

I also use this charger, the La Crosse BC-900 charger
Amazon.com: La Crosse BC-900 Complete Battery Charger with Batteries & More!: Electronics

People often overlook the charger but really its just as important as buying a good battery. Those cheap quick chargers will in time destroy batteries, whereas i'll be using mine for a very very long time.