Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #1

Pentax DL hotshoe question

I have a Pentax DL and im having a bit of a issue with the hot shoe. I cant seem to get anything to fire off the hot shoe other than the AF 360 and a Sunpak555 with TTL adapter. i have tried several hot shoe to PC adapters and none seem to work. I even bought one of the new Wein safe shoe adapters. it will trigger the off camera flash with its test button but taking a photo will not trigger any of my other flashes with any combination of cables.

Am i not setting something right??? is ther a magic trick to this?? i have tried the camera in manual and full program along with the aperture and shutter priorty modes. or do i have a faulty hot shoe?? its fot to be something so simple im missing it

I Need to take maternity portraits of my wife and we only have a month to go. so i need good soft side lighting and such so i need to move the AF360 off camera but every one i check with is out of stock and back ordered on the off camera adapters and 9' extension cable (whats up with that) so i cant wait for the back orders to be filled.i may just go get a couple more AF 360 keep the one oncamera a lo power and the other one slash/two at higher output levels
thank you in advance for any help you may give

11-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have some dedicated fllashes: AF360FGZ, AF220T, Soligor 42 DA; and some non dedicated flashes: Hanimex TZ1, Fotomatic 700TFZA, Sunpak auto 170, Cobra AUTO150; and they all work with my DS. Any flash should at least fire at full power if nothing else.
11-03-2006, 03:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you considered using some kind of deflector or Soft box?

I use a Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer
LumiQuest Pocket Bouncer

or a Lumiquest Mini Softbox
LumiQuest Mini Softbox

Both these devises are inexpensive and do a nice job of softening flash.
11-03-2006, 05:47 AM   #4

Original Poster
well the kind of light im looking for isn't just soft it also has to be from the side in order to really get the curves. the softness will be no problem becase i will be shooting through large bogen diffusion scrims. but the light will need tocome from the side and off camera for shadow control and to also control spill on the bkg

11-03-2006, 06:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
well the kind of light im looking for isn't just soft it also has to be from the side in order to really get the curves. the softness will be no problem becase i will be shooting through large bogen diffusion scrims. but the light will need tocome from the side and off camera for shadow control and to also control spill on the bkg
OK, I understand, and understand your frustration. I think your only choise is the off shoe adapters and the F5P cord. They are really hard to find right now.
11-03-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

FYI AF360FGZ can work as an ordinary slave with an onboard flash. Just set slave mode to 2 (hold 'light' button for two seconds). In this case it can only work in A mode (you set sensitivity and aperture) and in M mode (1/4-1/32). It also fires twice (like the onboard flash) so it can't work at full power. If the needed output is too strong (stronger than 1/4) the flash wil fire only once and that is when camera uses preflash so you won't see it on picture.
11-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
OK, I understand, and understand your frustration. I think your only choise is the off shoe adapters and the F5P cord. They are really hard to find right now.
I hear the Internet has them in stock right now. ^_^