Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #16
CDP
Forum Member

@RiceHigh - That firmware update that came out a few weeks ago. Here's the link:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/show_firmware?firmId=7717476

05-27-2007, 06:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CDP Quote
@RiceHigh - That firmware update that came out a few weeks ago. Here's the link:

Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates
The firmware version 1.02 was released months ago and it has never made the Auto ISO works! So, I just wonder why you say yours works..
05-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #18
CDP
Forum Member

@RiceHigh - Merely speculating on a possible reason that sinjin's camera is working differently then mine. Right or wrong, it's no big deal ...
05-28-2007, 10:58 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
I say just take the 1 second it takes to adjust the ISO using the fn button, and all will be well.
Glad this works for your shooting.

Unfortunately for me, chasing a toddler around a window-lit room I need to deal with light changing 3 stops in about a second of panning. This takes a lot more than a second to adjust for:

1. Take camera from eye because you can't see the ISO selection through the viewfinder, you must look at the rear LCD,
2. press Fn,
3. Press right arrow to select the ISO menu,
4. Press up or down arrows depending on the desired ISO,
5. Bring camera back to eye and lightly tap shutter button or OK to have the camera select the ISO you left selected in the ISO menu,
6. Hope your subject didn't move while you were doing all this and recompose the shot, and
7. Repeat 1 to 6 every time the little bugger changes direction!

Eventually, step 8 is to throw your hands up in frustration and buy a flash. This is what I did!

@CDP

I'm using firmware 1.02 as well. No idea why you would see a different behaviour than what seems to be all the other K100D owners posting here.

Can you confirm that you are able to maintain Auto ISO with either a + or - EV value dialed-in? If you have a scene composed using 0 EV and Auto ISO is selecting something like 800 or higher and you then adjust EV up or down 0.3 (for example), does your K100D stay on 800 or does it go to 200?

05-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
I've got a DS, and took a firmware upgrade which gave me auto ISO, and I hated it.! I enjoy shooting in low light and discovered that the ISO was being raised instead of the shutter speed being lowered. I actually found this out one day when I forgot I now had AUTO and set the ISO (I thought!) to 200 without putting my glasses on. I just went to the top of the blurred list.

If you always want a bit of exposure compensation, why not shoot in RAW without dialling in any exposure compensation and then adjust your exposures on your computer. I know that it's better to get it right at capture time, but doing a bit of exposure compensation later shouldn't be too big a problem. If it's only a little bit of compensation, you probably don't even need to bother with RAW. I've always used my DS in best JPEG mode and rarely get unacceptabe results, albeit I do expect to need to do some fine-tuning on the computer.

I prefer to sharpen with Unsharp Mask than with the in-camera facility, so I open up most of my images on the computer anyway, so it's no big deal to adjust levels and curves at the same time.
05-28-2007, 06:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sinjin Quote
Glad this works for your shooting.

Unfortunately for me, chasing a toddler around a window-lit room I need to deal with light changing 3 stops in about a second of panning. This takes a lot more than a second to adjust for:

1. Take camera from eye because you can't see the ISO selection through the viewfinder, you must look at the rear LCD,
2. press Fn,
3. Press right arrow to select the ISO menu,
4. Press up or down arrows depending on the desired ISO,
5. Bring camera back to eye and lightly tap shutter button or OK to have the camera select the ISO you left selected in the ISO menu,
6. Hope your subject didn't move while you were doing all this and recompose the shot, and
7. Repeat 1 to 6 every time the little bugger changes direction!

Eventually, step 8 is to throw your hands up in frustration and buy a flash. This is what I did!
Yeah, a new baby was my main motivation for buying a DSLR last year, so I hear you!

Usually I just leave it at ISO 800 and use a fast lens (31/1.8 or 50/1.4). I find 800 offers the best balance between speed and noise, especially when I don't have time to make a lot of adjustments between shots of a cruising baby!

Anyway, for most things I try to anticipate the ISO ahead of time, and stick with it for a series of shots, rather than trying to change it a lot between shots. It's faster to change aperture and/or shutter speed.
05-28-2007, 09:51 PM   #22

Auto-ISO doesn't work at all. As if I had set the camera at ISO 200.

This isn't a big deal - if I had known. I just naively did a shoot with the camera set to auto-iso, and ruined a few good shots.

Now that I know, I just set my camera manually. Which is better anyway. I don't like anything being set on by the camera without my knowledge.
05-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by sinjin Quote

I probably would have bought the Nikon D40 if I had understood the K100D's Auto ISO "feature" didn't really work. Yes, the K100D still offers more bang-for-buck than the D40, but I was so looking forward to being liberated with Auto ISO that I would have overlooked other things. Sigh.

Is there any use in asking the big reviewers (e.g. dpreview, dcresource, steve's...) to add a little addendum to their reviews informing potential buyers that Auto ISO doesn't actually work? I would have appreciated knowing this before buying.
The Nikon d40? Overrated.

I was shocked when I saw that cheesy toy for the first time. It's like Barbie's SLR. And much too small. I checked out the way it records images, and its image character is, that it is bluntly describing things, not having as well a sensitivity for nuances as the K100. (I found that comparison on the web: shots taken by the D40 and the K100. The nikon alsmost produced a halo around the branches of a tree, while the k100 gave an image more like we see it).

The only plus feature of the D40 was the programmable button, which allows for quick custom white balance (or whatever you prefer).

And the d40 not having a top display is ridiculous. You will always have the display shining into your eyes when shooting, or have it off and then you can't read the data.

The only reason the d40 outsells the k100 is that Nikon packs the marketing punch, and Pentax is a much smaller company. And most people have no idea about what to buy, so they buy the thing that they see more often in commercials.

The K100 has the solid feel of a good tool that you like to use.

The access to the controls is far superior to any other DSLR in this price class, for example the access to the exposure control wheel - which I need on 95% of my shots.

I love the way the k100d records RAW. The lightmeter is - no wonder for this price range - not exact, but you can get a feel for its way of working, and now I always get my shots right with exposure correction.