Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2009, 05:39 AM   #1

K-7 Video Questions

I just realized that the K-7 video capabilities does not include auto focus. I am very tempted to get this camera and even my wife is on board as she too likes the fact it has video. Now that I learned that I have to manually focus the lens while recording, I'm having second thoughts. I'm positive my wife will not be pleased and I can hear her already after she tries to shoot video with it especially of the kids running around.

How much of an issue is this with those who ordered it?

Do you think that Pentax will have it available in the next upgrade?

Do other camera manufacturers offer auto focus in video mode?

When shooting video, which lenses would you suggest to work with manually?

Thanks....................... Tom

06-12-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RielTime Quote
I'm positive my wife will not be pleased and I can hear her already after she tries to shoot video with it especially of the kids running around.
Buy a Canon HV20 *videocamera* if you want to use it that way (would you use your cameraphone's video recording?)
A DSLR w/ video is no substitute for a real videocamera....well...unless you spend $40K on a Red One
06-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Buy a Canon HV20 *videocamera* if you want to use it that way (would you use your cameraphone's video recording?)
A DSLR w/ video is no substitute for a real videocamera....well...unless you spend $40K on a Red One
I don't own a video camera and I thought that the K-7 would fill the gap for those instances when one would come in handy. I would only take video clips of no more than 10 minutes with most being much less. I think it would great to have to only lug around one camera. I'm sure the Canon HV20 is nice but it would be overkill for my needs.
06-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Anyone know if the K 7 will be able to shoot movies in either B/W or Sepia? It could make for interesting flicks.especially at old car shows and other nostalgic events,

06-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Anyone know if the K 7 will be able to shoot movies in either B/W or Sepia? It could make for interesting flicks.especially at old car shows and other nostalgic events,
Yes, it will. All the Custom Image modes work while shooting video.
06-12-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just realized that the K-7 video capabilities does not include auto focus. I am very tempted to get this camera and even my wife is on board as she too likes the fact it has video. Now that I learned that I have to manually focus the lens while recording, I'm having second thoughts. I'm positive my wife will not be pleased and I can hear her already after she tries to shoot video with it especially of the kids running around.

How much of an issue is this with those who ordered it?

Do you think that Pentax will have it available in the next upgrade?

Do other camera manufacturers offer auto focus in video mode?

When shooting video, which lenses would you suggest to work with manually?

Thanks....................... Tom
If you're outside in good light with a wide-angle lens I don't think this will be that big of a deal. Just set your aperture higher and pretty much everything will seem like its in focus anyway. If you use the autofocus before capture option I think you could get by OK.

On this note, I'm thinking the best lenses to use for general capture are fast primes and wide-angle zooms. This will minimize camera shake (shake reduction can only do so much) and allow for nice shallow depth of field shots.

However, if you're going to try to track the kids in doors with a telephoto lens you better believe you're going to be in trouble . I think that'd be true even if the camera did have autofocus. The camera will have its weaknesses and strengths for video to be sure. I'd think of it more as a photographic tool with video as a bonus rather than as a substitute for a video camera. It could be good enough to tide you over until you can get both.

To answer one of your other questions, I think the Canon 5d Mark II does allow autofocus, but it's limited in functionality. The Panasonic GH1 allows autofocus during capture as well.
06-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It doenst really matter that it doesnt allow AF for that use because even if it did, contrast detect af is very slow, for example nikon calls it "tripod mode" because its too slow to be used for much else than keeping the camera on a tripod and focusing on something that isnt moving.

The CAF in the canon 5d is also very slow and I belive its not available in movie mode and you wouldnt want to use it if it was.

The gh1 on the other hand does have fast eanough CAF, thats because it only has CAF and if that was as slow as CAF on dslrs then that whole camera would never sell anyway.

so afaik pentax disabled af during movie capture because it didnt work very well anyway.
06-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't own a video camera and I thought that the K-7 would fill the gap for those instances when one would come in handy.
As others have mentioned, it depends on what you use it for. Didn't mean to sound so harsh, but for the "kids running around" situation you described, I thought the K7 would have a 2% chance of working well and your wife would string you up for suckering her

You're better off carrying around a P&S (I carry an F30). The reason is they have deeper DOF so pretty much everything is in focus.

I only see video on a DSLR being useful for artsy low DOF stuff where you end up manually focusing to control what's in focus anyways (see what folks have done w/ the Canon 5D for examples). The slow contrast AF is just one reason...

06-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I haven't tested the CAF on the K-7, but if it's slow, it won't be usable for fast subjects anyway. And for slow subjects, I feel like you might as well manual focus to have the best control on what you're focusing on.
06-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
It doenst really matter that it doesnt allow AF for that use because even if it did, contrast detect af is very slow, for example nikon calls it "tripod mode" because its too slow to be used for much else than keeping the camera on a tripod and focusing on something that isnt moving.
So how do real video camers focus? My Panasonic MX500 has great AF. Is there some limitation on these dSLRs that they can't use the same system? Remember, Pentax used to make video cameras.
06-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #11
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
So how do real video camers focus? My Panasonic MX500 has great AF. Is there some limitation on these dSLRs that they can't use the same system? Remember, Pentax used to make video cameras.
They use CAF Im sure but for whatever reason, CAF on dslrs are very slow. The sigma dp1 dp2 is also very slow. The pana g1/gh1 is fast. And normal small p&s are also fast (although they dont need to be so accurate because just about everything is in focus anyway). I guess that is one of the points.

have a look at this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcNwNrq4_-k

seems it uses 5 seconds to get focus and makes plenty of noise. I cant imagine that working very well in video with moving subjects. After it has used 5 seconds to focus the moving subjects will be long gone