Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K20D Video Output

Hi there, I am trying to track down an answer from someone who possesses a mains power adaptor for this model

On a K20D can the Video Output lead be made to stay active (I.E. Continously feed a separate TV or monitor) if the camera is connected to a Mains power supply unit ?

When used on it's internal battery it does not appear to stay active for more than about five minutes, even if the timer menu is set to off ?

I don't realy need a Mains power supply, but I will happily buy one Just to obtain the special connecting lead

With this camera and it's (Catch-in focusing) arrangment, I belive it would make an ideal unit for local and backyard wildlife photography

I have asked many dealers and even pentax themselves, but It appears to be a question that they have not been programed for !

Any thoughts would be much apprecated

06-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bodger Quote
On a K20D can the Video Output lead be made to stay active (I.E. Continously feed a separate TV or monitor) if the camera is connected to a Mains power supply unit ?
Any thoughts would be much apprecated
Thought, not answer ...

I've it ringing in my ears that the timer in the K20D is disabled when you hook the camera up to PC, via its USB plug (even when on battery). Not sure if it must be open in Pentax Remote Assistant as well (guess not). It may be easy to fabricate a dummy USB plug which makes the camera believe that it is hooked up (I don't know).

As for external power: I don't believe that this disables standby. Again, not sure.
06-17-2009, 05:26 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi there falconeye

Much obliged for your thoughts

Unfortunatly on this model both the computer (USB) lead and the Video output lead share the same socket, but not the same connections within the socket

Which does make life somewhat difficult !

Also there does not appear to be any way of getting a live video picture on to a computer screen via the USB socket, when you plug the USB lead into the camera, the live view instantly switches off

If I can't get the information that I am looking for, I know there is a work-around method, by fitting a four and a half minute timer into the remote control lead, this will take odd additional photos to ones I want, but it will keep the video output active

By the way If the camera battery goes flat while connected to a computer, the computer comes up with an error message, saying can't find camera ?

(The reason for asking this question origenally was because page 191 of the handbook, quotes, (If you intend to use the camera continuously for a long period, use the AC adapter, but it does not say wether all the settings will remain active)

Best regards Bodger
06-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bodger Quote
Which does make life somewhat difficult !
Oh well, you're right.
The K-7 has a separate (HDMI) video output (offering better quality as well (640x480)). But it goes mute as well if you connect to USB

Wouldn't the occasional shutter noise disturb wildlife?

06-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well you can't have everything ?

I figure a heap of cotton wool and a longer lens may help

But it's amazing how tolerant some wildlife is, you can very often see baby rabbits on motorway roundabouts, they don't seem to notice the forty tonners half a metre away

But must get back to some more bodging !!

Regards