Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #1

Remote control of istDS without lens possible?

Hi everyone,
i intend to adapt my istDS via M42 to a microscope and use remote assistant vers. 1 in order to control the shutter. Unfortunatly the software seems not to work when the lens is removed from the body . Does anyone know how to circumwent this behaviour perhaps by working in the manual mode of the camera?

Thanks in advance
Stefan

06-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you use the software with an M42 lens mounted on the camera? I don't know how the camera body would detect that the lens is not there. If you have no M42 lenses, perhaps the option to use the aperture ring is not set to [Permitted]. For some inane reason, Pentax defaults this to [Forbidden], which makes no sense at all to me. I turned it on and have never turned it off.
06-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Can you use the software with an M42 lens mounted on the camera? I don't know how the camera body would detect that the lens is not there. If you have no M42 lenses, perhaps the option to use the aperture ring is not set to [Permitted]. For some inane reason, Pentax defaults this to [Forbidden], which makes no sense at all to me. I turned it on and have never turned it off.
They default that setting to forbidden so that not lots of people would get bad exposures and complain about them because they have moved the aperture ring off the A-setting. With M42 lenses this setting has to be changed to allowed. I don't recall if I ever tried to remotely operate my DS, and if I did, I don't recall if I tried with any K or M lenses, but start with making sure the use of apperture ring is allowed as already suggested by Canada
06-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by boletus Quote
Hi everyone,
i intend to adapt my istDS via M42 to a microscope and use remote assistant vers. 1 in order to control the shutter. Unfortunatly the software seems not to work when the lens is removed from the body . Does anyone know how to circumwent this behaviour perhaps by working in the manual mode of the camera?

Thanks in advance
Stefan
My suggestion to anyone who has this type of situation, is to use a physical remote control lead, these are very easy to make yourself (If your that way inclined), you only need a 2.5 mm straight STEREO Jack plug, a length of thin two core wire (Yes two core, you don't need the autofocus with a microscope) and any type of push button switch, a foot operated one is ideal, this should allow you to fire the shutter even if no lens is fitted at all !

I can't absolutly guarantee this works on a *istDS, but it works very well on a K20D, for copying 35mm negatives etc.

PS for anyone who wishes to try this, the wires are connected between the main body of the plug and the tip (The wire should be no longer than about six feet, to elimimate the risk of picking up static electrical pulses), If you need to make a longer lead, Just ask ?

06-14-2009, 05:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
"Can you use the software with an M42 lens mounted on the camera?"

I have no M42 lens to test this. However, when connected to a M42 adapter the software does not allow any shutter control.

"I don't know how the camera body would detect that the lens is not there."

There are several contacts between lens and body.

"If you have no M42 lenses, perhaps the option to use the aperture ring is not set to [Permitted]. "

Sorry but I did not fix that. Can you please explain what to do. How can I set the aperture ring to "Permitted"?

The limitation of the physical remote control is that you are not able to release the shutter and load pictures on the computer at the same time. Either you can release the shutter and are disconnected to the computer or you are USB-connected and cannot make a photo.

Thanks
Stefan
06-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #6

I once had a problem with the focus trap because the lens I used, had some paint on the flange touching the body.

After scraping of the paint, the contact on the body were all short circuited, allowing the camera to recognise a manual lens was attached.

Before scraping off the paint, I tested the hypothesis with a small piece of aluminium foil to short circuit the contacts on the body. Jammed the foil between the lens and the body.
06-14-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

*snip*

"If you have no M42 lenses, perhaps the option to use the aperture ring is not set to [Permitted]. "

Sorry but I did not fix that. Can you please explain what to do. How can I set the aperture ring to "Permitted"?
Thanks
Stefan
Stefan,
In the custom menu of the DS towards the bottom of the available options, is one called "using aperture ring" set this to option 2 "Permitted". The default option is 1 "prohibited". What this allows is the camera to work properly with manual aperture lenses. What Canadian Rockies was complaining about is that it seem silly (and most of us agree) that the the "prohibited" option should be default. Automatic aperture lenses work perfectly well on the camera with "permitted" selected.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O
06-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no M42 lens to test this. However, when connected to a M42 adapter the software does not allow any shutter control.

"I don't know how the camera body would detect that the lens is not there."

There are several contacts between lens and body.

It's in the Custom Settings menu. I cannot give you the exact page because my K10's menu is not the same as your *ist menu.
QuoteQuote:
The limitation of the physical remote control is that you are not able to release the shutter and load pictures on the computer at the same time. Either you can release the shutter and are disconnected to the computer or you are USB-connected and cannot make a photo.

Thanks
Stefan

06-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hi Folks!

thanks a lot for your helpful suggestions. I changed the menu point "aperture ring" to status 2 as proposed and the shutter is now active. The last problem which I have now to fix is to run remote assistant vers. 1 under linux. Wine seems not to work in this case but that's another story.

Best regards,
Stefan
06-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

use pkremote under linux. there is (at least) one thread in this forum about it, and we also have a developer helping us from time to time
06-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad we could help, Stefan. It's always the simplest things that get you.

I got bitten today by a stupid move. The viewfinder on my K10 went all wonky. I stupidly opened the camera to see what was going on. The focus screen had unlatched. I always open the camera mount down to keep the dust out .... That is - or rather - was the new LL-60 screen I got a month ago after agonizing over it. The one that makes my 400 and 100 meter correctly. The one that costs $50 or so. The one that is at the bottom of Chinook Lake, Alberta. The one I have to order again from Japan.
06-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #12
Forum Member

IIRC, Remote Assistant version 1.x (which was produced for the ist D, not the DS) didn't work very well with the DS. Most of the controls didn't work from the computer, although firing the shutter button did. I think I had to use Manual mode and select aperture and shutter speed from the camera, not the computer. Also, there was one issue that I had; I think it was that you couldn't turn on the camera LCD after you had connected it to the computer. Which meant that you had to make any menu and function changes before you connected.

I have never tried the version of Remote Assistant that came out with the K10D on the ist DS; maybe that one has full functionality?
06-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #13
Inactive Account

This is an update on my original reply, regards to using a Physical remote release

This system dose work perfectly on my K20D, and therefore presumably on the K10D, as they both use the same Pentax remote assistant (version 3)

My apologies for not checking the (*ist DS) software first

However, reading the various replies to this artical, has helped me considerably

I have, over the last six months modified quite a number of old lenses of mixed fittings, to the Pentax (K) fitting, some of these have reacted very well and some to say the least were iffy

After reading the reply from Cris Nielsen, I immediately went and checked on the lenses I had worked on, and low and behold, there was vertually no electrical resistance through the black nickal coating on some of the adaptor rings

So thank you very much Mr Nielsen