Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #1

Expected K-7 price after release date

Hi All!

I'm relative new in Pentax market. Can anybody tell me about expected K-7 price after release date? I've read about preorder K-7 body price ~$1300. This preorder price is in reality lower or higher than regular price after release? I mean in near future, not after K-7 successor announcement / release.

06-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HEKPOMAH Quote
Hi All!

I'm relative new in Pentax market. Can anybody tell me about expected K-7 price after release date? I've read about preorder K-7 body price ~$1300. This preorder price is in reality lower or higher than regular price after release? I mean in near future, not after K-7 successor announcement / release.
pre-orders are most of the time(if not all the time) cheaper due to market demands are not that high before an untested product. usually it goes up by +200 if the demand becomes great, and atleast +500 in other countries. usually in Europe, the amount seems high compared to it's north american counterparts. it is though much cheaper in areas where the product is manufactured like in southeast asia for example. I believe the K-7 is much cheaper in the Philippines, where the camera is being manufactured and also sold cheap by the importing regional countries.
06-14-2009, 03:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Being from the philippines, i wish that were true unfortunately, prices are still pretty much the same (sometimes higher than in north america) unless you know someone from pentax philippines. but even then, the price is not significantly lower. the discounted price is pretty much the same as the japanese MSRP.
06-14-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wish that were true! It's just as expensive here

06-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

wow ! Pentax must have gone way expensive nowadays. I remember a certain fella who told me that the prices there were cheaper. this was during the K20D release. I think it was around 800-900 for the body. some unconfirmed reports said there were some at around 750. dunno what's the deal but probably those were refurbished.

if you dont mind me asking, how much does the K-7 costs in the Philippines?
06-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #6

I can report Pentax K-7 body for 1049,- Euro in Holland.
Even it's still not available...
06-17-2009, 04:18 AM   #7

I think, that it will be lower than 1300 USD...

In Czech R. it's about 27500 CZK with VAT in few shops, without VAT it's 23000 CZK = 1200 USD.

K20d price without VAT is 17500 CZK = 910 USD. Price in US is 700 USD.

So think about it...

06-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcclane Quote
I can report Pentax K-7 body for 1049,- Euro in Holland.
Even it's still not available...
Help me out, where is that?
The lowest price I found in Holland is € 1145

- Bert
06-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi All!

No way to know - it'll depend upon demand for the new camera. However, history - at least in the US - suggests that the price of the camera will drop significantly after a few months. I pre-ordered a K10D for almost a thousand bucks (US) and then watched with dismay as the price slipped to less than 800 within 3 or 4 months, IIRC. My recollection is that the K20D behaved similarly.

The K-7 seems to have a very nice feature set, but sustained demand may depend on improvements of the fundamentals of the camera - IQ (especially at high ISO), meaningfully improved AF capability, etc. - and those aren't clear at the moment (at least to me).

Jer
06-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
pre-orders are most of the time(if not all the time) cheaper due to market demands are not that high before an untested product. usually it goes up by +200 if the demand becomes great, and atleast +500 in other countries. usually in Europe, the amount seems high compared to it's north american counterparts. it is though much cheaper in areas where the product is manufactured like in southeast asia for example. I believe the K-7 is much cheaper in the Philippines, where the camera is being manufactured and also sold cheap by the importing regional countries.
Do you think so?
I'll have the opportunity to get a K-7 from the states and save something like £500 over the UK RRP - a friend of mine will be stateside until the end of July and can bring it back for me. I was going to wait for some reviews before I made the decision and ordered. Do you reckon the price will actually rise *above* the RRP after the initial preorders are fulfilled? Has that happened before for Pentax cameras?
06-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PolishMike Quote
Do you think so?
I'll have the opportunity to get a K-7 from the states and save something like £500 over the UK RRP - a friend of mine will be stateside until the end of July and can bring it back for me. I was going to wait for some reviews before I made the decision and ordered. Do you reckon the price will actually rise *above* the RRP after the initial preorders are fulfilled? Has that happened before for Pentax cameras?
it is happening for the Pentax Lenses now. I know U.K. is notorious for blown up prices. not just camera equiptment but virtually everything. I believe it is a good idea that you could ask your friend to bring you the K-7. it would save you 50% rather than buying one there in the U.K.
06-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Who Knows?

Can anybody tell me about expected K-7 price after release date? I've read about preorder K-7 body price ~$1300. This preorder price is in reality lower or higher than regular price after release? I mean in near future, not after K-7 successor announcement / release.
The pre-order price is not a discounted price. I would be surprised to see the price officially increase, but when foreign creditors stop financing the US government, all hell might break out. But, if that happens everyone in the world will have much more to worry about than the price of a camera body. Then, the price of everything might explode. I pre-ordered one. If the price goes down, well I won't care because I will have the latest toy, for the longest time. Buying from a Japanese electronics broker is sometimes a good idea depending on your local pricing and local Customs charges.
I figure I will get three good years out of it. That's about $500 Canadian dollars a year, or $10/week. So waiting for it to go down $300 in 6 months doesn't make sense.
If the demand is extraordinary, then the price may even go up as retailers increase pricing, but I doubt that will happen in today's economic climate. Generally, if retailers charge a premium for a product, manufacturer's don't like that. So to summarize, the price might go up if retailers think they can get away with it, or the effects of Keynesian central bank policies take effect. Or, the price will go down if the past is any indication.
06-21-2009, 03:56 AM   #13

it is happening for the Pentax Lenses now. I know U.K. is notorious for blown up prices. not just camera equiptment but virtually everything. I believe it is a good idea that you could ask your friend to bring you the K-7. it would save you 50% rather than buying one there in the U.K.
Yeah, I just bought some glass in a rush because the last store that has Pentax in the old lower prices told me they would be sold out soon, and prices on just about everything would jump 50-100%(!!). It's ridiculous - DA* glass is actually becoming as expensive as the pro level Canikon gear, and there's frankly no way Pentax can compete in the professional market. Not because of quality, mind you, but because of market presence and reputation. I'm quite worried about the future of Pentax with these new prices. If they would release the k-7 as their flagship "semi-pro" camera at competitive pricing and it becomes a success, then I think they could safely ramp prices in time for the next body, but at the moment they are an expensive unknown to most people (in Europe anyways).

I believe it is a good idea that you could ask your friend to bring you the K-7. it would save you 50% rather than buying one there in the U.K.
I'm definitely getting my friend to bring back the K-7 for me if I do get one. My only worry is the US price spiking after the camera is officially released, which would leave me shopping for a K20D instead (plus another lens with the leftover money ).
06-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Market Perception

QuoteOriginally posted by PolishMike Quote
Not because of quality, mind you, but because of market presence and reputation.
Sometimes people equate price with quality. When FedEx started, business was awful until they quadrupled prices. At the cheaper price, people didn't believe packages would get there overnight. Anyhow, what percentage of the market is 'professionals' anyhow? It's pretty small. If HOYA can triple or quadruple profit per lens without having to increase costs, why not try it? Good for them, bad for us.
06-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
Sometimes people equate price with quality. When FedEx started, business was awful until they quadrupled prices. At the cheaper price, people didn't believe packages would get there overnight. Anyhow, what percentage of the market is 'professionals' anyhow? It's pretty small. If HOYA can triple or quadruple profit per lens without having to increase costs, why not try it? Good for them, bad for us.
Maybe so, but as I said, I think that they should have made their impression with a spectacular generation of gear before trying to pull this off. Maybe the price ramp itself is enough to convince people Pentax is a quality brand, but I suspect it will just make them lose customers in this economic climate.

To be honest, I'm just bummed at not being able to afford the stuff that was just within my financial reach like 6 months ago