Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2007, 06:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wsajian Quote
Thanks all you guys,and i did followed the instructions when updating the firmware until the camera said "compelete",this failure just happened but how can i prove that to the pentax cs?

If possible,any information from your local Pentax service place may help a lot ,thanks.
I did mention this to a Pentax rep today and he speculated (without seeing the camera, as he was careful to point out) that the problem may not be related to the firmware update at all, and that you may just be confusing everyone by focusing on that. Instead, he thought the update and the problem could be just a coincidence.

He then said that if one ignores the firmware update entirely, the whole thing sounds much more like a hardware problem - card reader was his immediate guess since you mentioned having problems reading and writing to cards.

In the end, he suggested you just send the camera in for repair. A technician would be able to figure out whether it is a hardware or software issue. He also said if you did nothing out of the ordinary to mess the camera up, the repair would be covered under the warranty.

He further said if you're concerned about price if not covered under warranty, attach a statement to the camera (or write it on the repair order if you take it to a service center) saying you don't want the camera repaired if the cost exceeds a certain amount. In that case, the camera will just be returned and you will only be charged for the repair estimate.

stewart

04-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks stewart for your information,but if this is just a "card reader"problem,how to explain that both the camera's LCDs can't work?

And i have found some information from some nikon forums,two nikon d70 users met the very similar problem,they updated their d70's firmware,and their camera's LCDs failed,sd card can't be read or written,so it is not just a "card reader problem" i think.
04-30-2007, 01:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can you read the SD card in your PC?
Did you try reformatting the SD card using the tool I mentioned?

If you have formatted the card anew, write the firmware on it and try again.
04-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

if this is just a "card reader"problem, how to explain that both the camera's LCDs can't work?

At this point, there probably isn't going to be an explination here. It should be fairly obvious by now that this is not a common problem others have experienced and solved, with those others standing by with a quick and easy solution for you. As I said, it appears you've done all you can, so it's time to turn the camera over to a repair person who can actually touch the camera and run some tests. We can't do either of those here in this forum. Good luck.

stewart

05-27-2007, 07:04 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Updates

I am a newcomer to this forum having bought a K10D. I have just tried an update and i am having no joy. I have formatted the card and copied the Bin file OK., but when I switch the camera back on ( holdinr the menu button down I just get the Version 1.10 message. I would appreciate some advice. --- My sympathies are with you if you had to fork out for repairs. It has made me Cautious trying updates.
I would be grateful for any help. ....dtg1935
05-27-2007, 07:29 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
I don't understand, when I update firmware on other devices, if there was an error, the device doesn't work. But all I have to do is reupload the firmware and everything is fine.
Why would the K10D have to get repaired?
05-27-2007, 01:02 PM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
I don't understand, when I update firmware on other devices, if there was an error, the device doesn't work. But all I have to do is reupload the firmware and everything is fine.
No the firmware is the complete system it operates all input and output functions
Like a PC, you can recover a operating system but not a bios flash firmware update.
05-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dtg1935 Quote
I am a newcomer to this forum having bought a K10D. I have just tried an update and i am having no joy. I have formatted the card and copied the Bin file OK., but when I switch the camera back on ( holdinr the menu button down I just get the Version 1.10 message. I would appreciate some advice. --- My sympathies are with you if you had to fork out for repairs. It has made me Cautious trying updates.
I would be grateful for any help. ....dtg1935

Camera not detecting BIN file fwdc162b.bin make sure it is in the ROOT directory on a formatted SD card.

05-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #24
Inactive Account

All i wish to know now is whether it can be fixed at the cs by some special software or i have to change the camera's mainboard,as i said that cost almost half the camera's price,and that's a lot for me.
It sounds likely that a local service center would replace the control board.
Unless you remove the processor, clear and reprogram the EPROM with special equipment and software.
I would be interested in the results.
Good Luck
05-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
Your other devices were designed with a protected section of memory that can recover from a corrupted load. The Pentax gear apparently cannot do this. Do a bad load and the camera doesn't have enough brains left to wake up and ask for a reload.

This is mainly a cost issue where the engineers weren't given enough budget to put in some redundancy. Consumer products where every penny counts can fall prey to this. Other times it is simply a dumb customer unfriendly decision.

So the camera goes back to the factory and they either have to pull the program memory chip(s) and install a new one, or there may be some test jigs they can attach to reburn the chip in camera.
07-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #26

Did you solve your updgrade problem?
I too have not been successful in installing the 1.30 upgrade. When I press the Menu button and switch on with the bin file on the DS card, I just get VER:1.00 on the LCD screen. It doesnt seem to want to recognise there is a new firmeare file. I tried reformatting the SD card in the camera but no joy. I also tried the PC and PC-F Transfer for loading the bin onto the card.

Hoping you have solved it and can help.
07-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

It looks like you'll have to have Pentax CS reflash the firmware.

I'm surprised that they are telling you they have to swap a mainboard to fix it. It's really, REALLY bad design to build a device with flashable firmware and no way to debrick it in an emergency using JTAG. Even el-cheapo consumer routers like the Linksys WRT54G have a JTAG interface for their flash memory in case the device gets bricked.
In theory, the fix for them should be a matter of opening up the camera, attaching a JTAG programmer, and reflashing the firmware. No hardware swaps should EVER be needed to recover from a bricking.
07-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I am curious here, did you removed the card after shut it down and deleted the BIN file from the card? What OS (Window Xp or 2000) did you use to load the bin file on the card? Win2000 can cause problems if you forgot to safely disconnect the device prior to unplugging it. I have updated my K10D whenever updates were made available including ver 1.3 without any problems. If you did it according to the instructions then you have a hardware problem and it should be under warranty, my opinion.
07-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #29

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
I have updated my K10D whenever updates were made available including ver 1.3 without any problems. If you did it according to the instructions then you have a hardware problem and it should be under warranty, my opinion.
I agree. I'm one of the least technically adept people out there and I literally followed the instructions to install each of the firmware upgrades (used Windows XP and a blank SD card). I had no problems.
07-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Oh, all you honest western people.

As a homo-sovieticus (i.e. ex USSR citizen) I would just give camera back with explanation: „Turned it on and it doesn't work. It's still under warranty“. No word about firmware updates. It is their problem to find out why camera is not working and fix it

And of course it seems for me that you flashed corrupted firmware image file. Smart software would calculate checksum of an image file and compare it to checksum stored in that image file, to make sure that firmware image isn't corrupted. Unfortunately Pentax code which controls flashing doesn't do that... They even do not provide checksums of image file on their WWW site. All those corporatios should learn from open source society how all these things are managed: if there's a file for download, there should be a checksum of that file to verify it.