Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wsajian,
had this happen with a DS - turned out to be a warranty case (Pentax Canada).
Good luck!
Torge

07-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Hi wsajian
I was really horrified to read about your awful experience with upgrading the K10D, because I only purchased my camera a few days ago and was thinking about installing the new v 1.3 firmware until I read this post !
I couldn't imagine anything worse than discovering that you had inadvertently kiboshed your prized new possession, but there appear to be many unknown quantities in this unfortunate episode and I will be very interested to learn how things eventually turn out for you. I wish you every success and hope that the issue is speedily resolved under warranty at Pentax's expense !!

Hi again Edvinas:
I am impressed by your expertise regarding the complexities of computer technology and have to admit that if what you say is correct, it would seem that Pentax potentially have quite a serious issue to address here.
Quote:
"Smart software would calculate checksum of an image file and compare it to checksum stored in that image file, to make sure that firmware image isn't corrupted. *Unfortunately Pentax code which controls flashing doesn't do that...They even do not provide checksums of image file on their WWW site. *if there's a file for download, there should be a checksum of that file to verify it".
Surely the question owners of K10D's on this forum should be asking Pentax quite vehmently is "*why on earth not" ??? When talking with the salesman at the time of purchase, I enquired how I should go about upgrading the firmware to the latest version and was assured that it would be "fairly easy". Well if it's THAT bl...dy easy, the least Pentax Dealerships could do is to offer to undertake this firmware update as a service to new/existing customers ? At least that way if something goes terminally wrong in the store, it's not going to be the customer's problem !!!!
I'm still finding my way around the overwhelming complexity of this extraordinary camera and believe the only sensible method of learning how to fully exploit the functionality of the "beast" is to set aside a good few hours to quietly work one's way through the instruction manual. The amount of 'customisation' available within the K10D is pretty mindboggling and truly leaves the 'competition' trailing in it's wake. I particularly like the time-saving option in the 'Custom Setting 5/6' to increase 'Initial zoom display' (magnification) when viewing images. The 'digital preview' is fantastic and although it's not what could be accurately described as a conventional 'live view' is still a brilliant idea. The e-dials are sheer genius and having the facility to specify which one does what could teach Canonikon users a thing-or-two. Everything considered, I have no doubts whatsover that I've made the right decision and can't wait until the lousy weather in the U.K. improves so that I can get out and about to give my new Tamron 18-250mm a thorough workout......yeah I know some people will keep banging on about prime lenses, but why-the-hell should I care !!

Follow-up: I contacted Pentax's customer service line today and was informed that if an executable file is downloaded from their website and it becomes corrupted, the camera will simply be unable to open it ! Hope that makes sense to someone more technically-minded than me ? They also advised to go directly to Pentax's web-site in JAPAN for the v 1.3 download, rather than the U.K. site........make of that what you will ?????

Last edited by Confused; 07-24-2007 at 08:33 AM.
07-30-2007, 06:59 AM   #33
Forum Member

I am now at 1.30 and have had no problems. However, at each up grade I have recharged the battery completely before make the upgrade. Also, I reformated the card in camera before dowloading and I remove and reinsert the card in the PC to check its readability before updating the camera. I also make sure the came rests in a stable (immobile) position during the upgrade to make sure some movement does not cause the card to lose contact.

I noted that Pentax suggests using the a/c adapter when upgrading firmware. I am finding that the K10D battery indicator is not very precise in its level indication and previous experience tells me batteries can be fickle. Next time I will get (and use) the a/c adapter as suggested.
07-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a bit off topic but questions were raised on how Pentax firmware upgrades could be more reliable.

As I mentioned in another thread, camera companies make poor software companies. Their expertise is in glass and imaging but firmware upgrades are not their forte. I've been upgrading computer firmware for years on large systems and never lost one. They do several of the things mentioned such as providing the user with a checksum (or CRC), performing a check after the firmware is transferred to the target but not yet to non-volatile memory, and checking afterwards before shutting down so you can retry. Some equipment I work on has two banks of non-volitile memory so if the new firmware fails for any reason the previous version is still there in the alternate bank. The command to switch banks does not use the firmware being upgraded.

The one weak spot is power loss mid-update. You don't want equipment to be running on batteries during an update. Only the two memory bank systems can survive that.

I know this doesn't help someone with a dead camera, but it is an area that small equipment companies should improve. The fact that some companies consider a firmware update failure the customer's responsibility indicates they know some people will fail and don't want to be responsible when it happens.

Cameras are not alone, I've fried a LynkSys router which said update successful but never came up again.

07-30-2007, 09:06 PM   #35
Forum Member

Re:

I have successfully upgraded my firmware from 1.0 to 1.20 after much trepidation, however I am not inclined to update to 1.30 yet since I dont have money to fork out an SDM lens anyway.
07-31-2007, 11:52 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went from Rev. 1.00 to 1.30 without a problem, just followed the instructions given on the Pentax website. Took about a minute.
07-31-2007, 01:49 PM   #37

i updated to 1.30 and now my apertures wont work with the auto focus lens. i followed the instructions on the website but with no luck. a similar thing happened to another from a recent thread so i'm a bit confused with the different responses i've read so far. the pentax cs rep told me to send the camera in for repair.
07-31-2007, 11:18 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by coatz Quote
i updated to 1.30 and now my apertures wont work with the auto focus lens. i followed the instructions on the website but with no luck. a similar thing happened to another from a recent thread so i'm a bit confused with the different responses i've read so far. the pentax cs rep told me to send the camera in for repair.
Just coinsidence.

Also what do you exactly mean by that "apertures wont work with the auto focus lens"?

08-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #39

The aperutre would stay closed on all my autofocus lens so that when you look into the viewfinder, its really dark. i thried all settings.
08-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #40
m8o
Veteran Member

Well this thread had the fear of failure foremost in my mind and I avoided updating the firmware for weeks until now ... but the talk of better exposure (update 1.2 I think that was?) forced me to take the plunge before leaving for Africa... for any likewise hesitant to apply it, the firmware update went perfectly w/o a hitch for me! Aperture control is working fine.

Funny, my 1st shot with the camera after the update was using the 50mm FA f/1.4 lens. I shot it @ f/1.4 and it was maximally over-exposed; pracitally all white w/outlines of some detail (... a very 'yikes' moment). But the next shot exposure was perfect. So was a shot @ f/11 and f/22; shutter speed was perfectly altered for optimal exposure. So figuring I'm (at least) in the clear.

Last edited by m8o; 08-05-2007 at 03:14 PM.
08-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I upgraded my firmware last night after realising I was on V1.00, not 1.2 like I though (was told it had the latest version of the firmware as at May 1st when I bought it and didn't think to check). All went well. Took a long time though, like 4 minutes.

I haven't tested it yet, switched it on and fired a shot in the house, will be sure to let you know if I have problems.