Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2007, 12:30 AM   #1

Have a k10d firmware update failure ,what can i do now?

And now the camera dosen't work,both lcds cannot display and the sd card cannot be read and written.

Anyone here had some experiences with the "k10d" or " k100d" firmware update failure?Can the pentax service just rebuilt the camera firmware or i have to pay to change the camera's mainboard as myplace shanghai's pentax service told me?and that would cost me maybe 450 dollars!

I had called Hongkong's pentax service and they told me a k100d firmware update failure can be fixed by rebuilding the firmware but they couldn't now do the same to the k10d as they haven't had the special software from pentax Japan.

04-28-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh man, sorry to hear. Have you tried connecting it to your comp to see whats on your card? make sure its blank/formatted except for the patch and try it again(leave the DCIS folder intact)
04-28-2007, 02:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you Kaimarx,but i had already tried it a few times and it didn't work,btw i did turn down the camera after the "compelte" at the end of the update flashed several times and it just happened.

All i wish to know now is whether it can be fixed at the cs by some special software or i have to change the camera's mainboard,as i said that cost almost half the camera's price,and that's a lot for me.
04-28-2007, 04:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If it said it had completed it - it should be a warranty job!

04-28-2007, 05:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I should think, the repair should be handled under warranty.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see the post above.
04-28-2007, 07:12 AM   #6

If Pentax's response is indeed that all repairs are on your nickel, that's a real confidence booster... I can understand their issues with having to service problems that are a result of an owner mucking around, but...

Note to self: video the s/n and camera screen when doing all firmware upgrades. A small amount of hassles could save a large amount of dough, even though the probability of a disaster is very small.
04-28-2007, 08:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I am quite sure it is a warranty job whether it says complete or not.

Apart from having a fully charged battery, one should also check for any possible file corruption after copying the file onto the SD card. I always copy it back from the card making sure that the whole file is readable and not corrupted (or do a file comparison if you are paranoid ) Corrupted files and weak batteries are two major causes of firmware upgrade failure.

04-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try this:
SD Association

Format the card anew with it and repeat the steps.

Make sure that you copy the BIN file onto the card and not the EXE file.
04-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Try this:
SD Association
Format the card anew with it and repeat the steps.
Actually, I wouldn't recommend that. Always Format the card IN the camera.

Now you may use the above program to do a Full Format or Full Erase; but I would still repeat formatting and issue a Format Card from within the camera before use.
04-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Re-Download

QuoteOriginally posted by wsajian Quote
And now the camera dosen't work,both lcds cannot display and the sd card cannot be read and written.

Anyone here had some experiences with the "k10d" or " k100d" firmware update failure?Can the pentax service just rebuilt the camera firmware or i have to pay to change the camera's mainboard as myplace shanghai's pentax service told me?and that would cost me maybe 450 dollars!

I had called Hongkong's pentax service and they told me a k100d firmware update failure can be fixed by rebuilding the firmware but they couldn't now do the same to the k10d as they haven't had the special software from pentax Japan.
Have you tried to re-upload in to the camera? The firmware is a complete system. I cannot understand how this could have happened. Did you follow the instructions as stated?

Ben
04-28-2007, 01:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Think the DS or DL had some situations like this, camera reported flash was done, shut it off and , toasted when you turn it back on.
04-28-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Have you tried to re-upload in to the camera? The firmware is a complete system. I cannot understand how this could have happened. Did you follow the instructions as stated?

Ben
That's what I was going to recommend too. Firmware isn't mystical, it's a complete package. Go re-download the package to make sure you didn't get any corruption during download, then try to import the firmware again. Failing that, I would try an older version firmware.
04-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Actually, I wouldn't recommend that. Always Format the card IN the camera.

Now, if the camera isn't working, he isn't going to be able to do that, right?

stewart
04-28-2007, 02:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wsajian Quote
And now the camera dosen't work, both lcds cannot display and the sd card cannot be read and written.
Have you tried removing the batteries for two or three minutes (camera and grip)?

If that doesn't work, what happened when you last tried the firmware update? When you held the menu button down and turned on the camera, did you actually see the "now loading" message and the option to select "yes" using the 4-way controller?

If so, switch to another SD card, download the firmware update again, place the newly downloaded copy of FWDC162B.BIN file on that card, and try the process again. Watch what happens. You should see two steps with the word "complete" at the very end.

Once you see the word "complete," immediately turn off the camera and remove the SD card. Do not reinsert that card until the FWDC162B.BIN file has been removed. Start up your camera and immediately reset everything using the instructions on pages 201 and 202 of the manual. You may also want to remove the batteries again for a few minutes (after turning off the camera of course). Now test the camera again to see if is working.

If that fails, try asking Pentax is there is a hard reset feature on this camera (a series of buttons to press during startup which reloads a very basic set of operating instructions to the camera, for example). You will have to do the firmware update again afterwards. Many devices have a feature like this, which can occasionally work wonders. Manufacturers rarely tell consumers how to do this because it can sometimes do more harm than good, so should be avoided unless absolutely necessary (in your case, it may have reached that point).

If all this fails, you've done just about all you can do. It is time to turn the camera over to the professional repair people. Assuming the problem is just a software issue, it should be a relatively minor repair (costs not too horrible).

stewart
04-28-2007, 11:40 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks all you guys,and i did followed the instructions when updating the firmware until the camera said "compelete",this failure just happened but how can i prove that to the pentax cs?

As you may not notice that the pentax k10d firmware readme says:
"Be sure to use fully charged battery (DLI-50)
If the camera turns off during updating due to lack of battery power, the camera will become inoperable. If this happens, a charge will be made for repairs even if within the warranty period."

So i guess when you have a firmware update failure ,it's not a warranty issue.

And thanks again for all your advices to redo the firmware update,but sadly all i tried failed to rescue my k10d.

Had somebody ever had this pentax dslr firmware update failure but had fixed it(how)?And is this just a software issue?I have asked this everywhere--Shanghai,HongKong,Taiwan,Japan and US,and just nobody can tell me.

If possible,any information from your local Pentax service place may help a lot ,thanks.