Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2007, 02:06 AM   #1
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Picture problem with K100D

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this problem with the K100D...

I'd been taking pictures fine with the Sigma 18-50, then with the Pentax DA 18-55, until I picked up an M-50 f/1.7. Pictures started coming out with the top quarter, half or even 3/4 of the picture blackened out as if a curtain had been put in front of the camera lens. I felt sad that perhaps it was my M-50 lens that was playing up.

But then I picked up an FA50 f/1.4 as an upgrade to the M-50 lens and found the SAME PROBLEM using the FA50!

I did some sleuthing and found that the problem occurred whenever a shot is taken with the aperture wide open and lots of light coming in! Have a look at the shots below taken at f/1.4... One OK, and one 'veiled' by something at the top of the picture.

Odd, and it took a while to convince customer service that the problem actually existed - it occurred only in wide open settings f/2 and lower, and only when there was a good amount of light coming in, like in daylight or directly at a fluoro light.

I now believe that it was the K100D CAMERA BODY all along, and not the lenses! Going back to my camera store, I tested out the lenses I had under the same conditions on a new K100D they had in store, and no problem... Very strange - it's never been seen before by any of the staff at Brisbane's biggest camera retailer but I'm keen to know if anyone here has ever seen this problem before, and what it could be...

Last edited by Ash; 02-14-2008 at 01:28 PM.
04-28-2007, 03:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like the shutter blade is sticking.
04-28-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
Forum Member

I had that happen to me with my M 100 macro (I don't think it was the lens) It stopped though and I have stopped worrying about it. I think maybe there is dust or something making the shutter stick.