Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2007, 05:04 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Anyone try the new Remote Assistant yet?

Not that it will do me any good, since I choose to run Macs, but wondered if any of you winderz folks have tried it yet? Just want to know if I need to turn green with envy and rant at Pentax for delaying my OS version or sigh with relief cuz it doesn't work well yet?

Rob W

04-28-2007, 06:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've read on other threads it's having problems, but showing promise.

Also, what kind of Mac do you have? Because I have a MacBook and I have XP on here for whenever I need to run something that I can only get on XP. Most of the time that is just old video games I already had for PC, though. Nothing else on Windows, maybe this will be a 'something else' but I just don't see the huge need.
04-28-2007, 07:13 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I have a MacBook too! However, for the moment, I've decided to keep it "pure", even though I have and have used Parallels and XP on it in the past. I'd rather wait for the Mac version to show up instead of installing XP and having to go back and rebuild the sysytem at some future point (even though I always keep a current image file on an external HD for restoration purposes, if needed.)
I spent years as a network engineer and am getting too old to be a "bleeding edge" software tester!
Rob W
04-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not even totally sure what this software does.

Is there something that it does really awesome that makes it worth it for me?

04-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a bit of an extension cable the remote assistant is nice for shooting tethered to the computer during studio sessions where you want to see a larger image while shooting. Nice for critical focus, showing a model how the shots are coming out, etc. The problem is that you can't get a full screen shot with it because the window is too small and won't expand. You can view the "contact sheet" as it builds if you have Pentax Photo Browser or other app, like Lightroom, open while you shoot.

It is also a bit slow for being USB 2.0.
04-29-2007, 06:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Just downloaded firmware and Remore Assistant. Seems to work fine, not sure if I'll ever use it though