Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2009, 06:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Two reasons:

It's suicide in the current market environment to release a new highend camera that doesn't do video. Too much competition from the D90 and 5DMkII - And I suspect that Nikon and Canon's refreshes of their higher-end cameras (while cameras like the D3 and 1DMkIII are higher end than the D90 and 5DMkII, they were released earlier) will add video.

As Mr. The Guy said, video in the K-7 was basically "free". Once you've got a decent live view mode, you have basically all of the components other than a microphone (cheap to add a 3.5mm mic jack and a crappy onboard mic) required for video. If the K-7 video were AVCHD it would be a different story, but 30 FPS low-res MJPEG is basically free for a camera that can do 8 FPS JPEG at 14MP.

06-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Re philbaums comment:

QuoteQuote:
I hope that would never happen, i.e. picking all images out of video clips.
Personally speaking, I have no requirement whatsoever for video-capability within a DSLR, but thinking about this for a moment, would there really be that much difference between such a technique and the blazing 5-8 fps 'machine-gun' approach so beloved of a typical news/paparazzi/sports-photographer ?
Or look at it another way……..had such a thing been available in his lifetime, would Ansel Adams have preferred to use video when composing one of his enduring masterpieces ? Sadly we shall never know and you can call me a Luddite if you wish, but somehow I seriously doubt it !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 06-16-2009 at 03:25 PM.
06-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #18
K-9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The way I see it, it's like your camera phone. Nice to have when you need it for something quick or easy, but not something you'd primarily use if you were taking serious pictures. The video feature on the K-7 is a nice feature to have and easy to get some quick footage, but if I was really going to shoot video, I would use an actual video camera.
06-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I can't imagine there ever coming a time when a professional wedding phtographer (meaning someone earning his living shooting weddings) will ever use a combination still/video camera. What would be the point? One cannot stop shooting video to take a still. Shooting video of a wedding, professionally, requires a minimum of two video cameras, one in hand and one on a tripod, and two microphones, the sound from which needs to be continuously monitored. Both Video and still shooting require the full and constant attention of the photographer if he/she is to fulfill the unique requirements of each. One person cannot do both.

06-18-2009, 06:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In a lot of wedding video trailers done nowadays, a combination of stills and/or video clips are used to a background track or ambient sound.
So I don't see any contradiction because there are so many different possible approaches to shooting and editing weddings. It matter not if the raw footage is in photographic images or video rushes.

By way of example, here's an excellent wedding trailer done in B&W using stills that I came across... very inspirational and done
using simple editing effects
Ruth & Stijn Eik 01/05/09

Another wedding trailer done by a young freelance college student I was introduced to who was using a simple video camera.
She's gone on to do a lot of work and pay her way thru college...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8wGQ8xkMow
06-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #21

I can see why, from a marketing decision, Pentax chose to include video. I don't need it or want it. If I wanted to do video I'd get a video camera. I also don't want my camera to make phone calls, play music, or do the internet. I'm confident others would like all those features.
06-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickt Quote
I can see why, from a marketing decision, Pentax chose to include video. I don't need it or want it. If I wanted to do video I'd get a video camera. I also don't want my camera to make phone calls, play music, or do the internet. I'm confident others would like all those features.
Are you SURE about that?

Keep in mind that apparently a lot of people are purchasing the Canon 5D MkII solely for its video capabilities.

For the K-7, it really depends on how much the MJPEG compression (vs. AVHCD) affects quality.

If the MJPEG doesn't degrade things too much, the K-7's video performance will significantly exceed that of any dedicated video camera in its price range, primarily due to the large sensor. (This is why the 5D MkII has become so popular for video - Video cameras with sensors of comparable capability are FAR more expensive than even the 5D MkII.)

I purchased a Canon HF100 a few months ago, had I known about the K-7 I probably would have held off on that and just bought the K-7, as I'd get a still camera upgrade PLUS a much better video solution.