Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
The differences among us: JPEG poll

We all see things differently, find some things more appealing than others, etc. That's what makes the world interesting. So with that in mind, how about posting the settings you have for jpegs, and perhaps why you arrived at those settings? It would be interesting to see how close - or far apart - users are.

04-28-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Size: 10mp
Image tone: Natural
Saturation: 0
Sharpness +2
Contrast +1

Not gonna lie, these are the "optimal" settings recommend by DCResource in their K10D review...

edit: I don't shoot jpeg much anymore, anyways.

Last edited by option; 04-28-2007 at 12:24 PM.
04-28-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't normally shoot JPGs. But I did a few times on vacation last year before I had the K10D.

With the DS and the DL all my setting were set to neutral and maximum size, since I prefer to do saturation, sharpening etc in post processing. If I'd shoot JPG with the K10D I'd leave it in neutral too I guess.
04-28-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep the camera setting neutral and shoot RAW (but occasionally, I wear pants).

In Camera RAW, I keep things neutral too. Sometimes I'll use a Camera Profile courtesy of InCamera and a McBeth Color Checker. Other times I'll use one of the ACR calibrators and the Color Checker.

Minimal post can usually be handled by lightroom directly from RAW.

I don't keep many and those I do rarely require more than a small tweak in Photoshop if something earlier didn't fix the problem.

04-28-2007, 11:08 PM   #5

After comparing the RAW output to the highest JPEG setting on the K100D, I now shoot 6.1 MP JPEG, unless its very high contrast or low light, then I shoot RAW. I have found RAW to be less useful than I thought it would be, but it is handy for details lost in those two specific conditions.
04-28-2007, 11:39 PM   #6

Well..

When I shoot JPEG (which is generally when I'm on vacation and need the space on my cards, or for just out having fun), I always leave it at 0,0,0, and natural tone.

I do all the necessary saturation/sharpening/contrast in post. Haven't ever had a problem doing it.

Of course, I've never had to print right from the camera or from the card without getting to a computer with Photoshop on it either... if I had to do that, I might bump up the in-camera settings.
04-29-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The very few times shooting jpeg just leave every thing at 000. Out of 10k shots about 100 are jpeg. Wouldn't even know it if the raw button fell off the K10D.
thanks
barondla

04-29-2007, 07:08 AM   #8
Kim

I have shot two jpegs in total. This happened a few years ago when I purchased my first digital camera, the Canon 10D, the two first test shots were jpegs.
04-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
The question wasn't really related as to whether one prefers to just use RAW and forget about JPEG. The enhanced possibilities with RAW format are pretty clear.

But some people have indicated they primarily shoot in JPEG. Other people see a use in having an instant "finished" image, even if they could possibly tweak for even better results if they played with the RAW version. Others aren't going to bother with RAW for shots that for all intents and purposes are simply snapshots. And with the size of cards these days and prices, unless one is on an epic journey, it isn't too hard to capture both RAW and JPEG and not run out of room.

So, the relative merits of RAW aside, some people are indeed capturing images as JPEGS. For those who do that, what I was curious about was individual responses as to what in-camera JPEG settings they find best suit their tastes. I assumed it would come down to JPEG shooters deciding to leave everything neutral and post-process afterwards, or otherwise taking the view they might as well have the camera save it as close to what they would normally like anyways.

Last edited by Rick; 04-29-2007 at 11:26 AM.
04-29-2007, 12:42 PM   #10

Over the 8 or so months I've had my K100D I've done quite a bit of experimenting with the in-camera jpeg adjustments, to see what would be the best printable file I could come up with.

The best (to my eye) I have been able to do is bright mode, saturation -1, sharpening 0, contrast 0.
04-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #11

k10d, natural mode:

saturation 0
contrast -1
sharpness -2

I typically take low key shots of my daughter. The -1 contrast helps with shadow detail. I tried "bright" mode for awhile but now prefer natural (I just dial WB until it looks good). The -2 sharpness, as far as I can tell, is just a lack of in camera sharpening. This works well for people shots, and if I need it later for something else, I can PP in a more sophisticated version. I actually tried -2 saturation for a bit, but the results were terrible- the images looked like those in badly colorized b&w movies.

John

Last edited by button; 04-30-2007 at 07:38 AM. Reason: no -3?
04-29-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I use only Jpeg 10 meg
saturation 0
sharpness +2
contrast 0
bright mode
04-30-2007, 07:07 AM   #13

JPEG Settings

I've got two modes:

general purpose: bright, -1 saturation, 0, 0 - same as novotel;

alcoholic still lives: (example here): bright, +2, +2, +2.

I would use +3 if I had a K10D - like the gentleman in Spinal Tap whose amplifier goes up to 11...