Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
New blog entry:
Comparative resolution study K-7 vs. K20D

In practice though, the differences are rather marginal. The important point then is that I found no evidence for rumours that the K-7 is a bit soft. To the contrary
I think what that says (to me) is that there is no reason to upgrade from K20d to K7 based on iq alone. In fact to my eye on the head-to-head, I like the K20d image better.

If one wants/needs the new form factor and features, then the upgrade is compelling. Thankfully the K20d already has great iq.

06-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #137
Veteran Member

well, eventhough the noise tests are somewhat identical, but definitely there is a significant improvement in the 1600 ISO and still usable shots at 3200, I'm extremely glad on having the K-7. I had been waiting for such camera eversince the K20D arrived. 5fps and 8000 shutter speed were the things that I was really after. the other features that comes along with the K-7 are sweet added bonuses. now who in the world wouldn't like a bonus?

definitely, the dSLR that is built for my needs ! Thanks Pentax !
06-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Should have read?:

At least for raw file pixel noise in black&white subjects, the *Pre-Production Beta* K-7 and *Production* K20D sensors - seem on first look - to be equivalent.

Doesn't that sound a bit more precise?
06-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #139
Veteran Member

So if many if not all of these pre-production K-7s are not using production sensors, all this analysis seems sort of moot, no? I mean, sure, it's still fun, but nothing can really be said about the sensors at all, just the processing.

06-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #140
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Catwalk with K-7 in Glockenbach quarter, Munich

New blog entry:
Catwalk in Glockenbach quarter, Munich

Relax and enjoy (there is one for the ladies, too )

Falk
06-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New blog entry:

Falk
Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh - now this is why we have cameras. My Bimmer came from Munich - now I see what inspires the builders.

Jer
06-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #142
Veteran Member

[SIZE="4"]Relax and enjoy (there is one for the ladies, too )

Falk
Thanks for the shared image Falk. Now *that* is a very good way to start a working week.

06-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #143
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Yohan-

Two questions.

What do you shoot at 3200? I never go above 400. I'm not being sarcastic, I just never understand why people need these high ISO numbers. I'm curious.
See here for examples. Impossible to get those at lower than ISO1600.
06-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #144
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for all the work here, OP. Though, I pretty quickly decided, since it'll be a long while before it affects any decisions, I may as well wait for more work from the production sensor matched with the production firmware before scrutinizing anything, myself, but i've been getting curious.

Going back a bit, someone mentioned trouble with the meter pattern selector getting moved around and not being noticed. I applied a simple solution to my K20d (Mostly, I had a tendency to just *forget* when I changed meter patterns, but I use a pretty fat neoprene strap which occasionally gets hold of that when going in or out of the bag.)

I just painted in a couple of the notches on the switch with white, which makes it a lot more noticeable from most angles, and found it really helpful, cause you can spot it from other angles. Here's a little bit of a pic:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/572587-post17.html
06-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #145
Veteran Member

New blog entry:

Falk
thanks for the great pictures at high ISO ! I'd say that those photos shows what the K-7 is capable of. it is pretty much impressive in a low light condition. I'm just wondering how the photos would've came out if you were using a 1.7 or 1.8/1.9. speed lens.

regarding the Pentax shooter fella, I'm sure he was greatly intrigued on what he saw you were using. did he asked you were you got it?
06-22-2009, 06:04 AM   #146
Pentaxian

Catwalk in Glockenbach
She is hot! Also as in "(slightly) hot flash".

After having seen "the one for the ladies", I'd say he's "one for the boys" as well.

Last edited by Class A; 06-22-2009 at 06:12 AM.
06-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #147
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Clarification: About the quality of the pre-production sensor

I have seen many comments that discard current test results of the K-7 as being premature because of the fact that current K-7 don't have the final sensor from series production.

Note that this information was initially coming from me. So, I decided to check back with Pentax Germany what exactly it means.

The official interpretation is as follows: Tests carried out with pre-production cameras and final firmware (what alpha testers do) are allowed to be taken representative of final quality. There won't be a noticeable difference when just inspecting photographs. However, there may be numeric differences when tests are carried out by a quantitative lab test, and if so, in favour of the series cameras.

Because none of the alpha testers published lab test figures, the test reports as found on my (and other tester's) blogs must not be considered premature.

I hope that this helps minimizing the confusion that this topic has raised.
06-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #148
Veteran Member

Thank you, it looks like much work on your part.

I am intrigued to compare this with a prior comment on your blog:
K-7 final firmware and tungsten high iso noise - Preliminary test, firmware is final but the sensor in my preproduction camera is said by Pentax to be different from the final one!

My memory reminds me what has been said about the first round of production K20D bodies, where a number of the sensors were sub-par.

It was noticed in a separate thread that Frank's sensor was showing a line through the images.

So at least for me I'll still wait for new production K-7's and possibly for a preliminary firmware update. I am reminded of Sony's troubles, with initial DPreview high ISO test coming out pretty dismal, giving their camera very bad press - but more than a few months later, new firmware was released with much improved high ISO noise, but I'm sure many people counted the Sony out after that initial test.

I would certainly feel bad for Pentax if similar circumstances were to befall them, at least when it comes to a rush to get the numbers out.
06-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #149
Veteran Member

From Amateur Photographer magazine:

Monday 22nd June 2009
Chris Cheesman
Pentax K7

Amateur Photographer (AP) has delayed its review of the Pentax K7 digital SLR after learning that the final version will include a modified imaging sensor.

AP, the world's oldest consumer weekly photographic magazine, was loaned a pre-production sample of the camera for review, and has received updated firmware.

However, Pentax UK has since revealed that the final version of the K7 available to consumers will include an altered sensor.

The magazine's technical department explained that it will not be testing the K7 DSLR 'until a full retail unit is available so that our tests accurately reflect what readers can expect.'
06-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #150
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
I am intrigued to compare this with a prior comment on your blog
QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
From Amateur Photographer magazine
AP magazine's announcement earlier today made me phone Pentax Europe and clarify the matter. The result is three posts up.

I understand that AP magazine would refrain from running their lab test software, as the figures they would obtain may not be fully correct to the last digits. But it isn't a real concern for the blog articles which have been published so far.

That wasn't this clear to me before my call to Pentax. So, I hope this information is helping others as well.
Closed Thread