Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
K-7 and the moskito

New blog entry:
K-7 and the moskito

While I prepare for noise tests, let me get out some of the material pending for blog posting. This post doesn't show up newest in my blog because I don't necessarily post in chronological order

[IMGWIDELEFT]http://falklumo.smugmug.com/photos/566608683_keegv-X3.jpg[/IMGWIDELEFT]
When I looked out of the window, I saw a moskito on the other side.

Well, a good opportunity to try out the K-7 with the DA 35mm Ltd. macro lens. What a wonderful lens!

The image is taken at ISO1600 and was overexposed (I overexposed manually) and later post-processed for better contrast and composition. Yes, it is cropped and therefore, a macro exceeding 1:1. It is a freehand shot but I used the window glass to rest parts of the camera body. Light is daylight in the shadow. The moskito was alive

I noticed that autofocus starts to have trouble when exceeding about 3:1 magnification. I think this is normal because with the DA35, the distance of front lens to subject starts to change dramatically as well. So, I used live view to focus manually and actually had to magnify to 10x and shift the region of interest on the rear screen (I couldn't get the moskito into the center of frame). This worked out nicely. The full 640x480 resolution of the display certainly is a benefit.

Here is a link to a larger version of the image, and a 100% crop:
Falk Lumo : photos : K-7 macro shots

Enjoy

06-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I noticed when opening the raw it does open in Camera Raw for CS3 however in the example I included it has the horizonal adjustment applied, and when you open it it is adjusted. Is there any particular way to not apply it and tell it you want to keep the original image.

I do like it adjusted but I figure one would end up in a situation where they are taking a picture of a slope or a hill and don't want it to crop and rotate automatically.

Wait a minute, I thought the horizontal levelling function was done by rotating the sensor, not by post processing software.
06-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Wait a minute, I thought the horizontal levelling function was done by rotating the sensor, not by post processing software.
Wrong smiley. (This function is off as I am busy to learn the other features first)

btw, the level indicator and manual exposure meter occupy the same space in the display...
So, automatic level could be convenient. But w/o the level indicator, I wouldn't see if it is within its 2% range where it works. So, I need to build up some experience before I will trust this function.

Last edited by falconeye; 06-17-2009 at 12:53 PM.
06-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K-7 High Iso noise in tungsten light with final firmware

I did a very quick and dirty test of K-7 high iso noise in tungsten light with final firmware.

All the full size original samples are linked from here:

Falk Lumo: K-7 final firmware and tungsten high iso noise

I've yet to prepare a real noise test where I can compare K20D and K-7 side by side.

06-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #50
Forum Member

thanks falconeye for your work, much appreciated !

this not really encouraging at all, final firmware can't do miracles... if this is *nearly* what we can expect from production hardware, they just failed where they shouldn't : IQ.
06-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #51

Thanks for the noise test as well. Gotta say, ISO 3200 is very disappointing for me. I was hoping 3200 would look more like 1600, but the noise is very blotchy as well as digital looking. Thanks also for using Lightroom defaults for the processing. I use Lightroom too, so that gives me a good point of comparison.
06-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I did a very quick and dirty test of K-7 high iso noise in tungsten light with final firmware.
These are good. Thanks for performing this test.

Even 3200 looks usable, except for large prints, with perhaps only a bit of cleanup required. That is encouraging.

But the photos were taken under conditions of quite strong light - ie a lamp placed directly above the subject. It would be interesting to see how the sensor and firmware perform under circumstances of poor light, where they - and the lens - are required to really do some work to gather up and organise the photons.
06-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #53

Falconeye, you're my personal hero this evening!

Many, many thanks!

06-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

All the full size original samples are linked from here:

Falk Lumo: K-7 final firmware and tungsten high iso noise

I've yet to prepare a real noise test where I can compare K20D and K-7 side by side.
Tungsten wb looks nice and neutral (for tungsten). 1600 looks good but it is slightly underexposed from the get go (sorry didn't check the dng file though)....
Anything higher in iso is non-important to me....
06-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by claude21 Quote
this not really encouraging at all, final firmware can't do miracles...
I disagree. I didn't express an opinion, but note that this is the hardest possible noise test you can run. Underexposed shadow-rich scene under bad and warm tungsten light.

Maybe, I shouldn't have started at the hard end

I do actually quite like the results. I wil lstil lhave to compare with K20D before drawing conclusions. But I think I disagree with your sentiments.
06-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But the photos were taken under conditions of quite strong light - ie a lamp placed directly above the subject.
It shouldn't matter from a physics point of view, but you never know ... I'll think about it when I am doing my K20D/K-7 comparison test.
06-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought mosquitos had long pointy sucky things at their front end? Mind you, I've never seen one up close!
06-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Thanks for the noise test as well. Gotta say, ISO 3200 is very disappointing for me. I was hoping 3200 would look more like 1600, but the noise is very blotchy as well as digital looking. Thanks also for using Lightroom defaults for the processing. I use Lightroom too, so that gives me a good point of comparison.

the 3200 ISO result is good (very good if compared to the K20D and other dSLRs) considering the circumstances and the settings under extreme difficult lighting condition.

in other dSLRs, this setup would had been heavily underexposed, blotched and heavily noised @1600 ISO even on small prints.

the K-7 @ 6400 ISO is still acceptable as long as it is not blown-up too large (big poster size photo). I see the noises have a certain appeal on standard prints, not where traces of PF would show or noticeable unless really over it's acceptable print size limit which has already surpassed the IQ quality on other dSLRs.

IMO, I find the 6400 ISO results to be better than the other cams @ ISO 1600, a certain few @ 800. that's how I see it.
06-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #59

Btw, does any Noise Reduction applied for any of these shots?
06-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #60
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Put me down as someone who is very interested in seeing the side by side tests between the K20D and the K-7 at various ISO settings. My next camera will be one of those two cameras, so the comparison will be quite valuable to me.