Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unlocker Quote
Falconeye, you're my personal hero this evening!

Many, many thanks!
I'm jealous ... PM sent to Falconeye, wonder if I could have the final FW too ...

BTW, excellent test, Falk. I'm sure many of us here would benefit a lot from your excellent work

06-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Breaking news:

I've just received the final firmware release aka v1.00

Disclaimer: I have been informed that the firmware has been optimized for the sensor as used in series production K-7. The alpha test K-7 are equipped with a pre-series sensor (which was said to be 95% identical) and final final noise tests will have to await production cameras. Anyway, tomorrow I start to look into noise and resolution.
PM sent for v1.0 firmware Thanks and cheers!
06-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
Btw, does any Noise Reduction applied for any of these shots?
good question. I believe I saw Falcon mention on his blog that there were 3 levels of NR options and it would also be interestign to see the differences between those settings as well.
06-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
good question. I believe I saw Falcon mention on his blog that there were 3 levels of NR options and it would also be interestign to see the differences between those settings as well.
The K-7 I have has a firmware of V0.3. I did some simple test, can't see any difference at all no matter the NR was set OFF, or any of the three levels I think it's the firmware ...

06-18-2009, 12:55 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Slowpoke Rodriguez Quote
Put me down as someone who is very interested in seeing the side by side tests between the K20D and the K-7 at various ISO settings. My next camera will be one of those two cameras, so the comparison will be quite valuable to me.
Me, too, this is at least a point of reference, and make the conditions identical like with the test you just did. because to my eye, its quite brutal. You might want to try a well lit subject also. Not outside, but something like a room with detail and light, but one that could use High Iso, not in tungsten.
But what is interesting is that the sensor is not the final model.
As CMOS sensors actually apply Noise cancellation on chip and other tricks, I wonder how much will change.
06-18-2009, 02:07 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Hi Falk,

A question of a completely different nature as the ones discussed so far (or perhaps I missed it): What's you impression concerning the new strap lugs?

tx, Wim
06-18-2009, 03:42 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I thought mosquitos had long pointy sucky things at their front end? Mind you, I've never seen one up close!
You're right. I was wondering as well and now I researched it a bit.

Seems to be "Rhagio scolopaceus" aka "Snipe Fly" aka "Downlooker Fly" (Schnepfenfliege in German). Eats other insects. I'll have to fix it now

06-18-2009, 04:17 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I think there are many ways to influence in-camera NR. There are 16 levels of NR (level = off, low, medium*, high) x (start at iso = 200, 400, 800*, 1600) (default marked) and then the 9 levels of sharpness and fine sharpness have a big impact too. Those sharpness levels change with the mode (e.g., bright has more sharpness applied than natural; which is why I mentioned the mode in my test).

So, it may be hard to compare out-of camera JPGs across models. While the quality of in-camera noise reduction is a criterium as such (which I am less interested in) I'll more interested in comparing the noise in the RAW output.

Lightroom applies very weak noise reduction in its default setting (luminance noise 0% and color noise 25%) and I leave it there as I have never used a lower setting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
A question of a completely different nature as the ones discussed so far (or perhaps I missed it): What's you impression concerning the new strap lugs?
Oh, I've not thought about them which is a good thing! Because I hate the old design.

I think I am going to love them because I now can use a tiny carabiner to easily attach/detach a strap w/o having anything hanging off the camera. I can only hope that the paint will stay where then metal touches the body.

So far, I didn't attach a strap and lost one of two wing-shaped protectors (so, I removed the other)
06-18-2009, 04:18 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Sir Falk, thanks for sharing your results and your own impressions of the camera. Very much appreciated and looking forward to more.
06-18-2009, 04:59 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Oh, I've not thought about them which is a good thing! Because I hate the old design.
I think I prefer the old-school design (the lugs) over the design on the K10D/K20D. Unless they were to add a strap connector on the right-hand side near the bottom, to facilitate using a "cam-corder style" hand strap (I have given up on neck straps). That would be much preferable to having to attach one via the tripod socket.
06-18-2009, 05:15 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Thank you for your hard work. I'm looking forward to see how it compares with the K20D, although I don't think it will be worse
If you have the time (and conditions), could you also test the behavior for night/long exposures? Thanks.
06-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #72

Thank you very much for your time on testing K-7.
Just like some other people, I am looking forward to the comparison (iso performance) with K20D.
Hopefully K-7 would perform better ^_^.
06-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #73
Veteran Member

I personally think the baseball/ipod shot at ISO 1600 is very good - every bit as good as my supposedly 'superior at high iso' D90 would do in that tough lighting situation.

I'd shoot the K-7 at ISO 1600 with confidence based on that shot.

06-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #74
Veteran Member

I'll defer to the physicist but ...

It shouldn't matter from a physics point of view, but you never know ... I'll think about it when I am doing my K20D/K-7 comparison test.
I'm not sure I follow this well enough. Here's another view. It might even be right.

If one were to simulate dim lighting by using a faster shutter, the result would be the correct small number of photons hitting the sensor (I think) but also a reduced opportunity for certain types of noise. The faster exposure means that fewer non-image random quantum events (did I get that right?) would be captured during the exposure interval.

I'm assuming that these events tend to be evenly distributed, on a macro scale, over the exposure time. This means that they don't arise from some special condition at the beginning or end of image capture. Those would be constant (in a quantum way) for exposures regardless of duration.

Other noise sources would be on a per-image basis rather than a per-millisecond basis. Maybe. Outside my understanding.

Now, please recall my educational background is sociology - a field with far more noise than signal.
06-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #75
Veteran Member

I see alot of, "only as good as K20D" around at dpreview. Do I got a faulty K20D because the K-7 images just owns my k20d, its sits in the corner crying right now when I showed the pictures to it.

Shitty camera or just general DPR scumbags?
Closed Thread