Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
Forum Member

Do I need a spare battery for K20d?

I'm a newby to DSLR's and am about to purchase a K20D. Is it prudent to have a spare battery or is it a non issue? Interested in other users thoughts on for or against.

06-16-2009, 02:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one for my K10D, and use it only when travelling, because you may run down the battery and then be left with nothing.

THis is one minor complaint some people have about pentax shifting away from AA batteries, where you could always go out and buy something that could let you keep going, but having a spare batteri is just as good.

One other note, I find the power meter on the K10D shows full charge until just about dead, when it shows 1/2 power, you have maybe 20 shots left. That alone is a good reason to carry a spare
06-16-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a spare, found the need once and have never looked back as I often make use of it

Neil
06-16-2009, 04:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bessa66 Quote
I'm a newby to DSLR's and am about to purchase a K20D. Is it prudent to have a spare battery or is it a non issue? Interested in other users thoughts on for or against.
Yes, but don't buy the pentax one. There is a Minolta NP400 equivalent on ebay and I have bought a couple for about $24 each, they work just fine.

David

06-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, believe it or not I have 6 batteries (overkill, I'm sure). Look on eeek-bay. I found some off brands that are cheap (2 for $15USD). Not as long lasting as the OEM (1500mAh compared to 1740mAh), but good to have nontheless. With the way things go in the DSLR world, I can't be sure that the batteries will be around forever. I rotate all six through the K20D as they become discharged.

Is my obsessive-compulsive showing?
06-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Forum Member

i got 4 orginal and 1 ebay battery
06-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Yes always, one in grip, one in body, same for second camera, two spares in bag fully charged.
06-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Seems I'm the only one here with K20D and only one battery

The truth is I've always had that thought of buying one or two spare Chinese batteries.
But then I thought maybe I was too worried so I tried to just wait until my K20D came and used the original battery only until I find the need of a spare one.
Right now, it's been 6 months and still never run out of battery.

Well of course it depends on your usage, though.
I only use it for weekend session with one 4 GB card that never filled up either.
So in one time shooting session, I only shoot max less than 200 pictures.

Ask yourself and see it first when you receive your K20D, how many shots will you take in a single day. If you never go out camping where there will be no electric outlet for more than 2 days, then the original battery should be fine.

Same thought happened to me when I bought my Fuji F100fd which is famous for it's low capacity battery. I thought I should buy at least a spare battery. But the truth is, I never need one until now. I can shoot almost 300 shots with single charge on that Fuji and I hardly shoot more than 200 in a day with that camera.

06-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
Forum Member

I think it depends on what you're doing. If you're doing event photography or something really important where a dead battery would cost you money or seriously give you grief, you should of course have a spare.

However, the battery is extraordinary long-lived. I can fill my 8GB SD card a couple times over with RAW files on a charge. For my shooting style, I never really needed a spare battery. I'm shooting a wedding in August though, so I did go ahead and get one. (And a spare body to have available too of course.)
06-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I had attended several events where my batteries had failed me and kept on not bringing spare batteries which cost me a lot of beautiful shots. also, you might consider bringing a large capacity memory card and a spare coz...

you will never know when you have to shoot a lot of photos on one or several occasions. so that's a big yes !!!