Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-7 'automatic horizon correction' feature !

Hi

To be honest, I'm slightly disappointed to learn that the K-7 can only compensate plus or minus one degree to keep horizon lines straight !

QuoteQuote:
Other, more revolutionary features include an Electronic Level function, which uses the Pentax K7's unique image stabilization system to actually rotate the sensor by plus or minus one degree to keep horizon lines straight. You can even shift the sensor left, right, up and down to fine-tune your image with the Pentax K7 mounted on a tripod with the Composition Adjustment feature, a unique use of sensor-shift image stabilization technology.
In fact, I was expecting at least 45 degrees correction, so that after consuming a few too many pints down my local pub, I wouldn't have to concern myself too much about standing bolt upright....hic !
Any comments....lol ?

Best regards
Richard

06-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't be confused. Here is what you do:

Take a medium format camera, mount a Pentax fish-eye lens, and your negative format will be circular and the horizon will therefore always be level (or not)!

Circular Fisheye Camera
06-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Don't be confused. Here is what you do:

Take a medium format camera, mount a Pentax fish-eye lens, and your negative format will be circular and the horizon will therefore always be level (or not)!

Circular Fisheye Camera

LOL !!!
06-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I thought it was +/- 1° with SR on, and +/- 2° with sr off.

In a preview article somewhere I saw a graphic that showed the +/- 1° and it was a greater change then i would have expected.

06-17-2009, 02:17 AM   #5

Posted this on the UK forum:-

1st shot is all the way to the right, 2nd to the left. It's only just occurred to me that I should have done one in the middle too (and maybe made some effort to get it level!) but is that good enough to get an idea?

06-17-2009, 03:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the K-7's horizon correction is done by actually rotating the sensor (not via software processing). There's obviously a limited room to carry out such corrections. Even so, 1-degree is quite visible in a photograph, and I definitely welcome the function.
Beyond 1-degree, the camera uses its on-board sensors to give you info in the viewfinder which way your camera is tilting.