Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2009, 02:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unlocker Quote
Instead of looking at graphs, I would look at photographs! ...

As an example, have a look at these. Hoping to do full crops etc if I get final firmware before the camera goes back on saturday.
Yes, but the problem with loooking at photos is that they can be PP'd heavily. Those photos you point to are like that.

I look forward to the dpreview, dxomark etc tests of the K7 production version and firmware.

06-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Low-Light ISO score for the Canon EOS 50D is being corrected from 834 to 696
Thanks. I'll update the chart shortly.
06-17-2009, 02:36 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Yes, but the problem with loooking at photos is that they can be PP'd heavily. Those photos you point to are like that.

I look forward to the dpreview, dxomark etc tests of the K7 production version and firmware.
Only PP applied to those photos was resizing! They are straight out of the camera!

Noise reduction in camera was set to low.
06-17-2009, 02:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
The D90 and D5000 do so well because of heavy-handed noise reduction.
Probably not. The basis of the tests is RAW output from the camera sensor, and dxomark report for example for the D5000 'No noise processing could be detected on RAW files for this camera.' Same would apply to the D90 I am sure.

06-17-2009, 02:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Only PP applied to those photos was resizing! They are straight out of the camera!

Noise reduction in camera was set to low.
Sorry!

If that's the case then things look promising for the K7.

But EXIF and one original file of a 3200 or 1600 shot (under poor light) would be handy at some stage so we can pixel peep etc.. But later, at v1 firmware of course.
06-17-2009, 02:56 AM   #21

But EXIF and one original file of a 3200 or 1600 shot (under poor light) would be handy at some stage so we can pixel peep etc.. But later, at v1 firmware of course.
As soon as we get final firmware, and as long as I still have the camera, no problem!
06-17-2009, 06:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As soon as we get final firmware, and as long as I still have the camera, no problem!
Excellent!

It would be great if you could compose some of the high ISO test shots in actual poor light - eg on an evening walk around town using ambient light - rather than take the photos in brilliant light, but just cranking up the ISO like a lot of the camera reviewers do.

I think the former scenario would be a better test of the sensor because it would make it work harder to hold onto detail - and co-incidentally it's also how I do a lot of my photos, so it would be personally v.useful to see.

06-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #23

Excellent!

It would be great if you could compose some of the high ISO test shots in actual poor light - eg on an evening walk around town using ambient light - rather than take the photos in brilliant light, but just cranking up the ISO like a lot of the camera reviewers do.

I think the former scenario would be a better test of the sensor because it would make it work harder to hold onto detail - and co-incidentally it's also how I do a lot of my photos, so it would be personally v.useful to see.
Exactly what I plan to do!
06-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 tungsten high iso noise samples, final firmware

->

Falk Lumo: K-7 final firmware and tungsten high iso noise
06-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Thanks for the handy chart

Great comparisions, very handy, Thanks

Hi all.

What do you suppose the K7's high ISO performance will be like?

I'm curious since the high-ISO of the K20D and K200D (my current digital Pentax) is OK but not great, and this is proving to be a real obstacle to the kind of photography I like to do (street/ night/ nature).

I can work around current high ISO limitations with good camera craft, fast lenses, PP etc but quality high ISO performance gives valuable headroom.

From the DXOMark.com stats I've compiled a chart (see below) showing the relative performance of these Pentaxes visavis other APS-C sensors and current full-frame DSLR's. So far the Nikon D90 leads the APS-C pack and I must admit I am looking quite closely at it at the moment as a potential future upgrade..

I'd like the K7 to give the D90 a run for it's money in terms of high ISO, because I like everything else about the K7 and Pentax.

Does the K7 do high ISO significantly better than for eg the K20, or indeed up to the standard of the D90?

06-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi all.

From the DXOMark.com stats I've compiled a chart (see below) showing the relative performance of these Pentaxes visavis other APS-C sensors and current full-frame DSLR's.

What does "Score" mean? There are no units - is it S/N, grain size distribution, max grain size . . . what? Are these "data" for RAW images or processed ones?

I've just noticed in the latest issue of CR, both the D90 and D300 are described as having "Max. ISO with best quality" at ISO 3200, yet the "Score" for the D300 is marginally lower than that of the Canon 50D (which CU judges to be effective only to ISO 1600), much lower than that of the D90 and only slightly higher than that of a K20D (which CU judges to be effective to only ISO 800). Should "Score" then be on a log scale?

I'm not arguing about the relative merits of the cameras, CU certainly is saying for low light shooting, Nikon's got everyone else beat (at least for JPEGs from the camera). I just need a definition of "Score".

Thanks,

Jer
06-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I just need a definition of "Score".

Thanks,

Jer
Depends what type of party you're at!

Sorry, I'll leave now
06-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I hate to be someone who is dissapointed in image quality at higher ISOs, but I really don't see the K-7 being a great high ISO camera like even the Canon 40D which has better images at 3200. Up to 1600 it's great, but from the tests I've seen above that even the old *ist DS does better than it in most situations (I would know, I have one). Hopefully they can improve this in firmware updates.
06-18-2009, 06:07 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Depends what type of party you're at!

Sorry, I'll leave now
No need to leave. You've defined the word in a way even an old guy like me can understand .

Jer
06-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Are we looking at a CPU benchmark here??