Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

k-m and autofocus select points

I'm looking for feedback from people who have experience with higher end cameras AND the k2000/k-m. I played around with a k-m in a store recently where I discovered that you could not change your auto focus select point. This left me scratching my head. The camera seems almost useless without the ability to decide where you want the focus to be. At the very least you should be able to select "center point" AF.

Now it could be that my salesman didn't know what he was talking about and I just couldn't find the adjustment in the short time I held this camera in my hand so maybe this adjustment is possible. If so I would love to hear about that as well. If this adjustment is not possible I would like to hear from people to find out how well the camera reads your mind to decide exactly where to set the focus?

thanks... Chris

06-17-2009, 12:03 AM   #2

You can use center point only.
06-17-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
At the very least you should be able to select "center point" AF.
It is possible.
06-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I use center-point on my K-m.

06-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner0427 Quote
I use center-point on my K-m.
Me too! I owned a Minolta Dimage D7, which allowed ANY part of the viewfinder to act as autofocus point by means of moving a square with the navigation buttons.
Needless to say I NEVER used it because of the hassle.
Don't forget to set autofocus to single (NOT C-continuous) otherwise the K-m may re-focus when you recompose the scene.
06-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That was one of my problems.

QuoteOriginally posted by jantjooh Quote
Me too! I owned a Minolta Dimage D7, which allowed ANY part of the viewfinder to act as autofocus point by means of moving a square with the navigation buttons.
Needless to say I NEVER used it because of the hassle.
Don't forget to set autofocus to single (NOT C-continuous) otherwise the K-m may re-focus when you recompose the scene.

I was using auto rather than AF-S. The camera was choosing continuous and I was unhappy in my ignorance.

I still would like to see the AF points and at least be allowed to re-compose and re-focus if I don't like the camera's choice. I'm never exactly sure where the spot focus really is.
06-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When using the center focus point mode (the only mode I ever use, or would recommend using with the K2000). It's somewhere in the general vicinity of the "circle" in the center of the viewfinder. Even on cameras that light up a little dot tell you which point is being used, it is still only giving you a very rough approximation, so I wouldn't let the absence of the light bother you. That is, on other cameras, it always lights up dead center, even if the AF sensor is large enough that the actual focus was a little off center.

Basically, if you care about pinpointing focus to the kind of extent where any of this matters, that's what the ring on the front of the lens is for...