Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #1

K20D - Cant tell if shake reduction is on?

I am a k20D newbie. I am using manual mode with a 50mm 1.8 takumar lens. When I hit the "info button" on the back of the camera to see camera setting details, or when I first power the camera "on" and it shows camera settings, the "HAND" Icon has a line through it, yet.. the SR switch is turned to "ON"

Now, I have only had this camera 12 hours, and have been searching through the menu... how can I tell if my SR is on?

Any help.. thanks

( Again, I am using a manual focus lens, with a lens adapter )

06-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, there is a shake reduction switch on the back side on the lower right hand side of the LCD screen that you move to on or off. The switch has a hand with (()) around it. That's how.

Tim
06-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by designinme_1976 Quote
I am a k20D newbie. I am using manual mode with a 50mm 1.8 takumar lens. When I hit the "info button" on the back of the camera to see camera setting details, or when I first power the camera "on" and it shows camera settings, the "HAND" Icon has a line through it, yet.. the SR switch is turned to "ON"

Now, I have only had this camera 12 hours, and have been searching through the menu... how can I tell if my SR is on?

Any help.. thanks

( Again, I am using a manual focus lens, with a lens adapter )
When you first power the camera on, the focal length setting for manual lenses should be the first thing you see. Is it?

Name:  Wireless Flash 040.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  51.1 KB

Last edited by res3567; 06-17-2009 at 08:33 AM.
06-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sorry, wrong answer and I needed to reread your question.

When using a lens adaptor like a T mount, you need to go into the custom menu and set the USING APERTURE RING option to 'permitted'.

Turn off your camera, make sure that the shake reduction switch is on, the turn on you camer again. You will then see a menu on the back which will ask you what the focal lenght of the lens is. Select it (50mm) and move on. That should do it.

06-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
Just to make sure

Ok, I am not in front of my camera at this moment, but if this is the issue, I will be a little upset at PENTAX, because I called tech support and they told me it should be working just fine and didn't tell me anything about this "Use aperture ring option" needing to be turned on to allow SR to work on T-mount lens.

So, If I am reading this right, I have SR turned on, and I have takumar lens mounted with an OFFICIAL pentax adaptor ring. So, what you are saying is the SR will NOT function, until I turn on a setting called " Use aperture lens Option".

If this is correct, hopefully it will save me a return! Thanks

Chris
06-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have a pentax adaptor ring but that is my understanding.

Just try seting the option and see if that fixes it. It should not affect anything as I understand it.
06-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #7

... I will be a little upset at PENTAX, because I called tech support and they told me it should be working just fine and didn't tell me anything about this "Use aperture ring option" needing to be turned on to allow SR to work on T-mount lens....
Chris
Actually this option is not necessarily related to Shake Reduction. It is for you to perform light metering if you use an ancient lens (Like my Cosinon-S 50mm/f:1.4 that I have bought 25 years ago and still use with my K100DS) on your Pentax DSLR. You set the aperture and let the body determine the appropriate shutter speed (Careful, NOT in the Av mode BUT only in the M mode. This looks a bit tricky) if you press the AE-L button (Or so-called "Green" button on your K20d). You might also need to perform some custom setting so that this "Green" button is used for metering. Remember; For some reason, you can not use matrix (Evaluative) metering with this lens.

So the primary objective of this option to let you actually "Use" the ancient lenses and not necessarily directly related to shake reduction.

06-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I am not in front of my camera at this moment, but if this is the issue, I will be a little upset at PENTAX, because I called tech support and they told me it should be working just fine and didn't tell me anything about this "Use aperture ring option" needing to be turned on to allow SR to work on T-mount lens.

So, If I am reading this right, I have SR turned on, and I have takumar lens mounted with an OFFICIAL pentax adaptor ring. So, what you are saying is the SR will NOT function, until I turn on a setting called " Use aperture lens Option".

If this is correct, hopefully it will save me a return! Thanks

Chris
OK. Is the screen I showed you above coming up when you first power the camera on? What lens is on the camera when you power it on? Lets make sure the camera is alright first before we proceed any furhter.

I can help you but you need to help me help you!