Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Dust cleaning

I hope someone can help me. I have what appears to be dust spots appearing on my images. I have attached a sample. Note the white circled areas. I have repeatedly cleaned the sensor of my K10Dand cannot see any dust on it with the naked eye. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be. Something in the lens perhaps?

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 07-02-2009 at 09:59 AM.
06-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have this probelm too on my k10d. It started after a week in Death Valley.

I suggest that you get yourself one of these:

Delkin Devices - Products - SensorScope System

I was a little timd at first but it does the job. The really good part of it is the lighted lens that you can view the surface of the sensor with and the cool mini vacuum. Check it out.

I was told at a pro camera shop that it's the same system they use to clean customer's cameras.

Tim
06-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #3

Open your web browser with a blank page, so there should be a big white area.

Shoot the white area (computer screen) with any len @ F22 in AV mode +1.5 - 2 EV, it should take secounds to expouse, while expouse move your camera slowly to left and right randomly so it will not capture the dust or the mouse cursor by accident.

Then put the JPG / RAW file in your post production system, and find out where is the dust. remember the area will be mirrored in your sensor!!

Use the Pentax gel pen is a good option, Long time ago I do use liquid solution, but it's very easy to remain something over the sensor. Now I just use dry solutions.
06-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Since someone else just mentioned not having realized this, I should ask - you *are* using the sensor cleaning mode so you can actually see the sensor, not the mirror, right?

Anyhow, I find light makes all the difference in seeing dust on the sensor. Sometimes I can't get light bright enough indoors, but the sun usually reveals all. If not, then something like the sensor scope might make sense. Because that's definitely sensor dust, not anything on the lens. Lens dust never shows up that sharp. If you havbe ay doubts, try another lens, but it's unlikely to change anything. Assuming it is on the sensor, the spot will show up any time you shoot at a high enough f-stop.

06-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I have this probelm too on my k10d. It started after a week in Death Valley.

I suggest that you get yourself one of these:

Delkin Devices - Products - SensorScope System

I was a little timd at first but it does the job. The really good part of it is the lighted lens that you can view the surface of the sensor with and the cool mini vacuum. Check it out.

I was told at a pro camera shop that it's the same system they use to clean customer's cameras.

Tim
I may have to purchase a sensor, as I cannot see anything and I do suspect my 16-45 lens, but I will check to make sure. I was offered the Arctic Butterfly Kit, but at almost 180$ Canadian, I bought just the swabs and cleaner. Thanks for the suggestion.

QuoteOriginally posted by mactrash Quote
Open your web browser with a blank page, so there should be a big white area.

Shoot the white area (computer screen) with any len @ F22 in AV mode +1.5 - 2 EV, it should take secounds to expouse, while expouse move your camera slowly to left and right randomly so it will not capture the dust or the mouse cursor by accident.

Then put the JPG / RAW file in your post production system, and find out where is the dust. remember the area will be mirrored in your sensor!!

Use the Pentax gel pen is a good option, Long time ago I do use liquid solution, but it's very easy to remain something over the sensor. Now I just use dry solutions.
Thanks also, I will try that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Since someone else just mentioned not having realized this, I should ask - you *are* using the sensor cleaning mode so you can actually see the sensor, not the mirror, right?

Anyhow, I find light makes all the difference in seeing dust on the sensor. Sometimes I can't get light bright enough indoors, but the sun usually reveals all. If not, then something like the sensor scope might make sense. Because that's definitely sensor dust, not anything on the lens. Lens dust never shows up that sharp. If you havbe ay doubts, try another lens, but it's unlikely to change anything. Assuming it is on the sensor, the spot will show up any time you shoot at a high enough f-stop.
Yes, I raised the mirror and cleaned the sensor at least three times in four days, but I keep getting this dust. I will have to try the 50-200, because I suspect the lens, but I think you are right, perhaps I just can't see it. BTW I did look oudoors in sunlight.

JMR
06-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just buy a SensorKlear Pen LENSPEN is The superior Camera lens cleaning system for all fine optics, rifle scopes, camcorder and camera viewer screens, binoculars

Inexpensive and works. I wouldn't waste my money on a fancy butterfly brush that spins dust off and cost a small fortune; nice money maker for the camera stores as I've seen one rep rave about it and sold one while I was waiting. I've even used my finger once to clean a small piece of dust when I had nothing else with me although I don't recommend that.
06-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Agree! SensorKlear Pen and a blower work great. No need for all the high dolar stuff.

06-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
Just buy a SensorKlear Pen LENSPEN is The superior Camera lens cleaning system for all fine optics, rifle scopes, camcorder and camera viewer screens, binoculars

Inexpensive and works. I wouldn't waste my money on a fancy butterfly brush that spins dust off and cost a small fortune; nice money maker for the camera stores as I've seen one rep rave about it and sold one while I was waiting. I've even used my finger once to clean a small piece of dust when I had nothing else with me although I don't recommend that.
QuoteOriginally posted by AM|Photography Quote
Agree! SensorKlear Pen and a blower work great. No need for all the high dolar stuff.
Thanks guys, but I have already used a similar penbrush and a blower and swabs and I still can't get rid of the dust. Before this last incident all I did is exactly what you guys said. I also cannot see it with the naked eye, so maybe I will get the enlarging scope or take in for a professional clean. It's driving me nuts.

JMR
06-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I finally managed to clean the camera. But I suppose you will never guess what did it. I used a regular house vacuum cleaner after a swab and blow-out. It covered almost the whole opening and worked like a charm. so thanks to all for your help.

JMR
06-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
I finally managed to clean the camera. But I suppose you will never guess what did it. I used a regular house vacuum cleaner after a swab and blow-out. It covered almost the whole opening and worked like a charm. so thanks to all for your help.

JMR

I'm sorry . . . but reading this just made me chuckle I'm glad it worked.