Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the K10 cheap when it was at the end of its run and the K20 was being established as the top end Pentax DSLR.

If I was buying today, I'd take advantage of the current prices of the K20, for sure.
Can't be beaten for price.
If not that, then I would probably go for the K200. Another good buy.

If price isn't a factor, I would go K-7.

06-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hillerby Quote
My main concern is being able to use my current Lenses on the new camera.
They will work on all of the cameras you listed, but the K-7 and K20D have an extra dial on the front and other extra tactile controls which often come in handy. You can browse these forums and find many posts on how to use the manual lenses on a Pentax DSLR--whether screw mount or K, M or A series lenses.
07-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'd sure like to take you up on that offer if possible! I'm still undecided, and the only kind of digital camera I've ever used is my wife's "point and shoot" which I can't figure out worth a crap! I understand exposure and can easily deal with setting in manually, but damned if I can figure it out on this new stuff!
Bob Hillerby
Combat Photographer
B 1/9th Cav, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile)
Republic of Vietnam 1966-1967
07-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #19
emr

Hillerby, I can't really add much to the advice you've been getting here. But I have to say that I'd love to hear about your combat photography experience! Not necessary in this thread but it would be great if you could some day start a new thread in for example Everything Else - PentaxForums.com!

07-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hillerby Quote
I'd sure like to take you up on that offer if possible! I'm still undecided, and the only kind of digital camera I've ever used is my wife's "point and shoot" which I can't figure out worth a crap! I understand exposure and can easily deal with setting in manually, but damned if I can figure it out on this new stuff!
Bob Hillerby
Combat Photographer
B 1/9th Cav, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile)
Republic of Vietnam 1966-1967
Bob,

You bet, let me send you a private message with contact details and we can meet somewhere between Sherman and Dallas. There should be a food court in a mall somewhere between us which would offer us shelter from the TX heat...

Ian.
07-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Buy the best glass you can find and the newest body you can afford. Plan on keeping the glass and upgrading the body over time.

Unless money is tight I'd jump straight to K7. Technology never sleeps, and if I'm coming in I want what's current. Not to say you can't shoot great pics with any of them, but bodies are "disposable", and I think buying a new K20d would be somewhat throwing good money after bad as you'd be eying a K7 the whole time.

But if funds are tight, then all bets are off.