Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Which Camera should I get?????

OK Group, I'm a newbie here and don't want to get flamed out on my first time. If this question has been posed before, I apologize.
I'm an "old school" photographer and have worked both as an amateur and professionally. I currently have a (film) Pentax SF! with an assortment of lenses (k Mounts). I'm ready to go digital, but can't make up my mind whether to go cheap with a K2000, or get a k200, K20, or the new K7! At present, I'm really torn between the K20 and the K7 but the spec's don't convince me that the K7 would offer anything substantial for all the extra dough I'd have to spend.
I first shot with a Pentax Spotmatic when I was in the Army. At that time I used Nikon, Pentax, Canon, Leica (my favorite) and most everything available. I got hooked on Pentax back then and have stayed with them.
My main concern is being able to use my current Lenses on the new camera.
Any advice, or serious comments will certainly be appreciated.

Bob Hillerby
Combat Photographer
B 1/9th Cav., 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile)
Republic of Vietnam 1966-1967

06-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

First of all, welcome to the forum. My $.02 (and it's really only worth 2 cents) is to never buy a DSLR when it first comes out. In your situation I would go for K20D initially as they will be relatively inexpensive compared to the K7 and is a great camera. All this goes out the window if some of the K7 features like video and FPS are really important to you. The great thing is that you can take great photo's with any of the cameras you mentioned. Good lucki.
06-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

hi, welcome

my suggestion would be:
i do not know how it's in film cameras, but if there are not many focus points.. or just one.. and the size matters.. i'd cheaply buy Pentax K2000..

so you will not be pissed with its either center focus point, or automatic, which the camera chooses any and do not show which one..
that is yet my only concern with the camera, other than that it's amazing.

if you are an old school guy, this camera will have enough of features to make you excited, + image quality is one of the best of 10mp cameras, and noise control is extremely good. even ISO 3200 is usable..
i bought recently one to my gf.

although I miss focus points, so I myself use K20d.

focus speed many claim that k2000 has a lot better AF speed especialy in low light situations, i myself cannot proove it, because i did not use k2000 in low light situations yet.

what i have notice is white balance is much better on K2000.

well the choise is yours, and you must weight what features are important to you..

weathersealed, chunky or light, small body;
and etc..
so, good luck in your decision..
06-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The K20d is going to be quite cheap soon, so can't go wrong with that. Your lenses will work with the digital body, but you get easier metering if your lenses are KA mount (with electronic contacts).

06-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #5

You could even go "cheap" with an even earlier model, any of them are good. I say take the plunge if you are raring to go and don't worry about which one, you'll be fascinated and very happy with whatever you get if you have only had film cameras before. I only used film until a year and a half ago when I got a K10D, and I still consider myself spoilt. (I still manage to keep using film too, by the way.)
The only consideration is budget, really - just decide how much you want to spend, and preferably get your hands on as many different models as you can to get a feel of their relative differences in size/weight/capability before deciding.
...But, if I was changing to digital, specifically wanted a Pentax, and budget was flexible, then it would have to be the K-7. Oh yes...
06-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't believe in doing things in half measures so I'd recommend the K-7 without hesitation. As an "old school" shooter you will appreciate many of the features, camera responsiveness and build quality the K-7 has. Older shooters will appreciate the K-7's clear new 100% viewfinder to compensate for our diminishing visual acuity that comes with age. This and the camera's quick response and very quiet shutter is reason enough to put it far ahead of the K20D imo.
06-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

if $$$ an issue... K20D, otherwise K-7.

06-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
I think you really should look at each cam's features to see what 'level' of technological advancement you 'require' for what you want to do with it. Beyond that there is little to fault any of Pentax's dSLRs. I'd easily recommend the K2000 or K200D or K20D (with caveats mentioned above), but YOU must be comfortable using it and it must be able to do what you want when you're out there shooting.

Do have a look at this forum's camera review database for more opinions one each camera.
06-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm w/ creampuff on this, go w/ K-7. You won't like the K20D if you try both side by side. It's not just the specs on paper, the gap between K-7 and K20D is far bigger than the gap between K20D and K10D IMO.
06-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
Igilligan

K20 is 650-ish new at Adorama

It may even be cheaper other places...

If you are swimmin' in that texas oil money, by all means wait and get the K7, If your cousins are swimmin' in the oil money and not sharing any with you...

The the K20 is a great camera for the money.

Ps most of the folks on these forums goin' on and on about the K7 have not actually shot one. But on paper it sure looks good.

Last edited by Igilligan; 06-17-2009 at 10:13 PM.
06-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
Forum Member

Get a Pentax I heard they are great!
06-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

get a used K10D for $300 bucks now and save for the K-7 later and hope that the price would drop drastically in 6 months which I doubt would happen. if that's the case, you need to wait for about a year or more if you want a significant price drop for the K-7.
06-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

K20D with kit lens + 3 year warranty for $670 at Walmart.com

Walmart.com: Pentax K20D Black 14.6 MP Digital SLR Camera Kit w/ 18-55mm Lens & 2.7" LCD * FREE Extended 3 Year Warranty: Digital Cameras
06-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Get the cheapeast one you can get your hands on now so you can eventually save up for the higher end models if you wanted to.
The cheap ones would ease you in and introduce you to the DSLR.
Since most of your lenses are K-mount, all the pentax DSLRs made would be compatible with it.
As with what they said about AF speed, heck, you're using K-mounts and your hand would probably be faster than the DSLRs focusing since you've been used to focusing manually.
Me, I went with an old model (K100D super) as it was very affordable brand new!
If I would still want to upgrade in the future, at least I would be ready not only in skills but also in moolah!
K-7 isn't even out yet so just look at that model as something to purchase in the future.
06-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
Forum Member

Hi Bob,

I live in the DFW Metroplex and wouldn't mind meeting up to let you try my Pentax K10D and *istD to let you get a feel for Pentax DSLRs. These aren't the current models but they will give you an idea of what the current ones are like. Personally I think the K-7 is going to be one great camera. But the K20D is a fine camera!!

Cheerio,
Ian.