Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2009, 05:22 AM   #1

Another way of looking at the K-7

I am about to by a second body, either the K20D or the K-7. I love the new features of the K-7, but the K20D does a great job for me. So is the K-7 worth the extra ~$600? In other words, would I rather have the K-7 or

K20D + 55mm SDM?
K20D + LX3?
K20D + G10?
K20D + Ticket to Rome?

The K-7 would be a much nicer camera than the K20D, but will it allow me to take pictures I would otherwise miss? The 55mm would give me shots with great isolation, and in low light. The LX3 I would carry with me everywhere (the best camera is the one you have with you). The G10 compares well with the Hasselblad H2 (Kidding). A ticket to Rome would give me great photo oppertunities?

Am I missing something in the K-7 that makes it worth the K20D+one of the above?

Is there something else you would get to go with a K20D?

06-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-7 is a lot more camera than the K20D. Most people who haven't handled the K-7 and played with it up close can't appreciate how much superior the camera is over the K20D.

The clearer 100% viewfinder is really nice. The quietness and much faster overall response will surprise you. I can say with confidence the K-7 will produce more keepers compared to the K20D in terms of better exposure and WB accuracy, faster and better AF (now with AF assist light for low light situations). There is barely any shutter lag to speak off. And we're not even talking about the higher fps.

Plus you get HD video thrown in free... anyway the K20D now feels like it has been relegated to be an entry level camera...
06-18-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
The K-7 would be a much nicer camera than the K20D, but will it allow me to take pictures I would otherwise miss?
You'll miss fewer shots under tungsten light, at large aperture, without using the focus adjustment feature. You can find people complain online about various DSLRs (not only Pentax) mis-focusing under differing light. Supposedly, putting on a hot mirror filter helps--I haven't tried it.
06-18-2009, 06:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You're missing the point. I can buy a K-7 AND a DA*55 or ticket to Rome or whatever

Seriously, though, if it's a zero sum game, then those really are choices you need to seriously ponder, but if I wanted a DA*55mm, I would buy a DA*55mm whether or not I plop down money for a K-7.

To flip things around a bit; if your purchase of a K-7 is going to stop you from purchasing a DA*55, is that DA*55 really something you need??

As far as I'm concerned, as much as I love my 40+ lenses, they won't take video, or take 5.2fps, or fix my stupid tilted photos, or do HDR, or give me better shake reduction, or better white balance, or... you get the idea.

06-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The K-7 is a lot more camera than the K20D. Most people who haven't handled the K-7 and played with it up close can't appreciate how much superior the camera is over the K20D.
Agreed. Only the OP can make the call moneywise, but on features & performance the K-7 is pretty much a "no-brainer" if a 2nd body is needed (well, it'll instantly become the 1st body )
06-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I definitely would like to get the K-7 at some point (after the price drops some). I do a fair amount of indoor work under dim light, and the K20D autofocus can't really keep up with me. I wish I had more keepers in terms of focus at a recent wedding, for example, and it wasn't even that dark inside.
06-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote

Plus you get HD video thrown in free... anyway the K20D now feels like it has been relegated to be an entry level camera...
what's the k-m regulated to then .

personally id wait a bit for prices to come down. you know in 1.5 years k-7 will be as 'obsolete' as the k20d.
06-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

K20D + Ticket to Rome?
I will choose this hands down. What good of a camera if you got nothing to shot at

06-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This is simply a case of bang for the buck. In the past we were comparing the K20D to other manufacturers' offerings. Now happily, it is the K20D to the K7. No doubt the K7 is better. Based on your needs, which gives you acceptable performance at lowest cost? With patience, the price point of the K7 should decrease as well.
06-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I made my choice. I'm off to Canada for three weeks. Worth way more to me than a K-7. The K-7 is just a camera.
06-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I made my choice. I'm off to Canada for three weeks. Worth way more to me than a K-7. The K-7 is just a camera.
Good choice my friend
06-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good choice, I hope you enjoy your trip. You planning on visiting any place in particular while your here in Canada.
06-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #13

Original Poster
I went for the K20D - I'd like to go for the 55mm f1.4, but we'll see how that goes.
06-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went for the K20D - I'd like to go for the 55mm f1.4, but we'll see how that goes.
That lens would be hard for me to turn down.
06-25-2009, 04:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Good choice, I hope you enjoy your trip. You planning on visiting any place in particular while your here in Canada.
It's a long overdue trip to see my family. I won't have the luxury of traveling while I'm there since I've got some business to take care of. I will mostly be in London, ONT.