Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
Oh I have seen at least a dozen 5Ds on craigslist over the last month for 1100-1200.
I saw one for 800. offered to me for 700. it is in very good condition actually.

06-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimby Quote
Ok, so please tell us where the Canon 5D is selling for $1299. The average price for a 5D seems to be in the $2000 range.
that $2000 price bracket is ancient history now. last time I saw that price range was in 2007. dwindled down to 1,700-1,800 in early 2008 and 1,500 in January 2009 in some markets.

saw one unit (hands-on) in very good condition this June for only 800 bucks. now, does that price makes sense?
06-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Canon 5D is going for those prices used, for those still confused. So the price comparison is K-7 new vs. 5D used.
06-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
that $2000 price bracket is ancient history now. last time I saw that price range was in 2007. dwindled down to 1,700-1,800 in early 2008 and 1,500 in January 2009 in some markets.

saw one unit (hands-on) in very good condition this June for only 800 bucks. now, does that price makes sense?
Used prices are driven by demand. Obviously the demand for a used 5D brings the price down to the $1000 range. Any new 5d's are overstock and again the price is depressed. Granted some sellers are in the $1770 range but are they reputable?
Normal sellers are still trying to get rid of stock at the $2000 range. 5d MkII's are $2500 plus....... anyone really understand retail here?
Canon EOS 5D Digital camera - SLR - 12.8 Megapixel

06-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Canon 5D is going for those prices used, for those still confused. So the price comparison is K-7 new vs. 5D used.
of course. but the 1,500 price bracket last January is not under used but brand new. remember, that was 5+ months ago. and that's not confusing.
06-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
of course. but the 1,500 price bracket last January is not under used but brand new. remember, that was 5+ months ago. and that's not confusing.
Are you in the U.S.? I've never seen the 5D go for $1500 new from a reputable seller, ever.
06-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'm considering a new 5D markII for $2,166.65 delivered in USA

I've got an opportunity to buy 5D Mark II via my dad as he is retired military and currently theres a hefty military discount running thru end of July in USA. I may or may not pull the trigger. I really wish it had built in flash and articulated viewscreen. And Better weatherseals as are found in 5D would be nice too. There are alot of shots from rain soaked 5D I've seen last 3 years. 5DII, Canon dropped the ball on properly sealing it. Oops.

KEH is selling LN- 5D for more than my brand new one cost me last year. Its good to recognize bargains and act when opportunity strikes as I did. For a couple years I studied Canon pricing and I have gotten a bit intuitive now. This deal is best I've seen and other recent great deal was BestBuy website last week 5DII was $2,249 plus local fees. Its launch price is finally eroding & competeting now. That said best deal I know of on D700 is $2,099, some $220 less than mine ran me in January 09. I wonder how long K-7 will sit firmly at launch price? I guessed 9 months but with Canon and Nikon hunting 2009 sales targets in a slowdown may make pentax shed K-7 issue quicker than my guess. I'd really like to see K-7 hit $800 with 3 year warranty included by April 2010. Then I'd really consider adding one to my bag.

Anyways, $2,166 w/ tax and delivered for brand new 5D Mark II is a very good deal, take my word on it. It would be silly to drop $2,000 on some dealers leftover stock 5D cameras now.

I'm waiting till end of July to decide on 5D2 promo $2,166.65 special. Head to head at this price point K-7 is $866.66 less than 5D Mark II. Seems a reasonable upcharge for 21mp full frame over 14mp K Mount... But I'll wait. With Camera inhand I don't really need another camera, its just fun to watch the camera prices deflate as they always do thus its now opening up options for me to really consider.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Used prices are driven by demand. Obviously the demand for a used 5D brings the price down to the $1000 range. Any new 5d's are overstock and again the price is depressed. Granted some sellers are in the $1770 range but are they reputable?
Normal sellers are still trying to get rid of stock at the $2000 range. 5d MkII's are $2500 plus....... anyone really understand retail here?

06-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I do. when it comes to retail, prices balloon to a minimum of 25%. some sellers try to cheat their way into making buyers believe that the actual retail price is at that certain amount, where in fact that the retail shop is selling the unit for 75% more (if the price is at 1,800 range). so I wouldn't be surprised if the price of the 5D is 1,300/1,400. the seller already made 300 off you.

yeah, I like the 5D. but in today's recent dSLR's technology, be it Pentax, Nikon, Canon, the 5D's asking price of $2,000 is way overpriced for today's generation of cameras, but not last year.

I suppose those retailers are trying to make money or more money if they just recently acquired those 5D's or try to avoid losses, if those were old stocks that they have on their inventory.
06-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Are you in the U.S.? I've never seen the 5D go for $1500 new from a reputable seller, ever.
well that's too bad. I'm not in the U.S.
06-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
5D blows out K20D. My D700 blows out everthing else, according to the handy chart. Why not add a D700 to your shopping list?
The guy's already confused with 2, why add more to the confusion?
06-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Here it is, your 3rd option if you like? Multibrand Lowlight, who's #1?

Ahhh, you pulled my quote from another thread concerning this handy chart.

Fair enough here's that one's Post#1 which explains my:

D700 blows everyone else out... observation.

So Exactly how much better is K-7 over K20D going to be/ supposed to be?

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Hi all.

What do you suppose the K7's high ISO performance will be like?

I'm curious since the high-ISO of the K20D and K200D (my current digital Pentax) is OK but not great, and this is proving to be a real obstacle to the kind of photography I like to do (street/ night/ nature).

I can work around current high ISO limitations with good camera craft, fast lenses, PP etc but quality high ISO performance gives valuable headroom.

From the DXOMark.com stats I've compiled a chart (see below) showing the relative performance of these Pentaxes visavis other APS-C sensors and current full-frame DSLR's. So far the Nikon D90 leads the APS-C pack and I must admit I am looking quite closely at it at the moment as a potential future upgrade..

I'd like the K7 to give the D90 a run for it's money in terms of high ISO, because I like everything else about the K7 and Pentax.

Does the K7 do high ISO significantly better than for eg the K20, or indeed up to the standard of the D90?

06-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #27
Inactive Account

K20D vs. 5D/5DMKII

Hey all,

I'm stealing from my own thread (see below), but I think the Pentax K7, by inherentance from K20D, will probably have higher frequency detail than 5D/5DMKII, but I think the Canon will probably beat K7's chroma and sensor noise, albeit with loss of some detail.

I've been pondering the K7 vs. 5DMK2 vs. D700 as well and spent quite a bit of time looking at pictures from all the cameras. The stunning pictures are *amazing* from all three cameras, but the bad pictures from the K20D have a "cheap" look to them -- noise(chroma) and color gradations that remind me of a bad point & shoot.

I think the largest advantage Pentax has is their ability to use older lenses without having to modify the camera (M42, Pentax-K mount) followed by the resilient weather sealing. The Canon crowd (5D, 5DMK2) has resorted to shaving the mirror in order to get older lenses to fit. Once it's done however, the Canon results with Taks and Zeiss's are outstanding.

But do you want to void your warranty and potentially suffer from weather-related failures? Or do you want to deal with a crop-sensor and the need to further post-process your images to more closely match noise out of a Canon/Nikon? If you can't tell, I'm still on the fence.

I think feature-wise Nikon has Canon beat except for the 12MP vs. 21MP. Although I personally would prefer Canon over Nikon, if Nikon had a higher resolution sensor and was more cost competitive, the 5DMK2 would be out of the running.

K20D vs the Canon 5D & 5D MK II:

K20D: http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/PentaxK20D/Samples/Comparedto/pentaxK20D_ISO100-acr.jpg

5D: http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5DMarkII/Samples/Compareto/Studio/...00-raw-acr.jpg

5DMK2: http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5DMarkII/Samples/Compareto/Studio/...ISO100-ACR.JPG

Two things I noticed, the K20D has Canon beat in-terms of wall detail and sharpness on the Queen of Hearts card. I think the K20D might have a weaker AA filter, since both Canons should have equal or better resolving power.

A strike against the K20D if you look at the edge of the Martini bottle in the Pentax shot you can see what looks like CA or a second shadow on the bottle -- the effect is not as pronounced in the Canon shots. I'm wondering out aloud if that's a lens limitation or sensor/camera issue though.

Anyway, those are my stream of consciousness random thoughts on the subject...
06-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by jimby Quote
Ok, so please tell us where the Canon 5D is selling for $1299. The average price for a 5D seems to be in the $2000 range.
I've got an opportunity to buy 5D Mark II via my dad as he is retired military and currently theres a hefty military discount running thru end of July in USA. I may or may not pull the trigger. I really wish it had built in flash and articulated viewscreen. And Better weatherseals as are found in 5D would be nice too. There are alot of shots from rain soaked 5D I've seen last 3 years. 5DII, Canon dropped the ball on properly sealing it. Oops.

KEH is selling LN- 5D for more than my brand new one cost me last year. Its good to recognize bargains and act when opportunity strikes as I did. For a couple years I studied Canon pricing and I have gotten a bit intuitive now. This deal is best I've seen and other recent great deal was BestBuy website last week 5DII was $2,249 plus local fees. Its launch price is finally eroding & competeting now. That said best deal I know of on D700 is $2,099, some $220 less than mine ran me in January 09. I wonder how long K-7 will sit firmly at launch price? I guessed 9 months but with Canon and Nikon hunting 2009 sales targets in a slowdown may make pentax shed K-7 issue quicker than my guess. I'd really like to see K-7 hit $800 with 3 year warranty included by April 2010. Then I'd really consider adding one to my bag.

Anyways, $2,166 w/ tax and delivered for brand new 5D Mark II is a very good deal, take my word on it. It would be silly to drop $2,000 on some dealers leftover stock 5D cameras now.

I'm waiting till end of July to decide on 5D2 promo $2,166.65 special. Head to head at this price point K-7 is $866.66 less than 5D Mark II. Seems a reasonable upcharge for 21mp full frame over 14mp K Mount... But I'll wait. With Camera inhand I don't really need another camera, its just fun to watch the camera prices deflate as they always do thus its now opening up options for me to really consider.
Where,, I am in the military.. where where where
06-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Here's the 2 page thread...

at fredmiranda:

AAFES Canon 5D Mark II Sale - FM Forums

Glad you asked, I misread end of July:

Deal ends July 17th.

QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
Where,, I am in the military.. where where where
06-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #30

at fredmiranda:

AAFES Canon 5D Mark II Sale - FM Forums

Glad you asked, I misread end of July:

Deal ends July 17th.
Yeah first place i went was AAFES.. their expected delivery time is in Sept.. no thanks.. but thanks for the info still going with the K-7...... for now