Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #31
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
Oh I have seen at least a dozen 5Ds on craigslist over the last month for 1100-1200.
So what? We're talking about prices for NEW cameras, not some used version that may or may not be in good condition and doesn't have a warranty.

A quick survey on Google shows that the 5D is selling around or just over $2000 new. The K-7 will sell initially for $1300 and will drop a few months after release.

These cameras are NOT in the same price category no matter what the OP says.

06-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimby Quote
So what? We're talking about prices for NEW cameras, not some used version that may or may not be in good condition and doesn't have a warranty.

A quick survey on Google shows that the 5D is selling around or just over $2000 new. The K-7 will sell initially for $1300 and will drop a few months after release.

gee, you must be 5D's greatest fan .
06-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimby Quote

I agree; why is this even a debate? Comparing new release price to used street price? I don't get it.

The OP should, by all means, buy the used, warranty-less, non-returnable camera out of that Craig-List guy's trunk. Yeah, that's the ticket.
06-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Photong Quote
Also keep in mind the size difference. As a recovering Canon guy, the current price of a used 5D was very tempting. However, factoring in its size compared to the K-7, the latter is more likely to be taken to places that afford photo opportunities. What good is clean 3200ISO if you won't use it often.

Adam
My sentiments entirely. After you've compared prices, specifications, FPS/ISO/NOISE/AF and all the rest there are also other considerations such as weight, size, ergonomics, ease of use/handling, compatibility with classic lenses and so on

Most modern DSLRs will be able to deliver very good quality pictures. Admittedly for 'some' occasions/special conditions such as fast moving sports etc, there will be better suited cameras with higher FPS or faster AF, but for me, taking all this into account, the best camera is one that I will happily take with me because it is lighter, compact and easy to use and retain the spontaneity that I enjoy in photography.

This was a major factor in why I bought an LX in 1981 instead of a Nikon F3 or Canon F1, and the major reason I'll be buying a K7 instead of a 5D or D300/700.

They all take great pictures, but the comfortable fit of a Pentax LX or K7 in my hand swings it for me, all other considerations being 'more or less' equal. I just find the equivalent Nikons and Canons that little bit too heavy and clunky for my liking. It's very personal but makes all the difference between a camera I carry around with me and one that sits in a cupboard or camera bag most of its life.

06-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #35
Veteran Member

This is a pretty useless thread simply because a comparison between two or three different cameras of different specs, different age and different price levels.

This being a Pentax forum and having used the K-7, I will endorse Pentax as being the best.

Some of the cameras mentioned have real world issues... the older and discontinued Canon 5D has had issues with the design of the mirror assembly.
The camera's mirror has on many occasions fallen out of the camera.
I had two Canon shooter friends experience this problem first hand.

The D700 also has the issue of uneven exposures when shooting at very high fps and quite a few of my Nikon user friends aren't happy about this.
06-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
This is a pretty useless thread simply because a comparison between two or three different cameras of different specs, different age and different price levels.

This being a Pentax forum and having used the K-7, I will endorse Pentax as being the best.

Some of the cameras mentioned have real world issues... the older and discontinued Canon 5D has had issues with the design of the mirror assembly.

The D700 also has the issue of uneven exposures when shooting at very high fps and quite a few of my Nikon user friends aren't happy about this.

I do think the D700 has some issues regarding uneven exposures. a week ago, I got a chance to go shoot side by side with a D700 shooter. funny coz he kept on checking his results and histograms on every shot. and yes, he was using it at high fps rate coz I could here that annoying clacking sound at my side. I do however, shared to him that it's too bad that I don't have the K-7 yet as we could had shared some of our results. guess what, upon mentioning the K-7, he said that he should've waited for it rather than buying the D700. more like saying that he wasn't satisfied with his D700 even if it's a full-frame camera. not worth the extra bucks.
06-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
...upon mentioning the K-7, he said that he should've waited for it rather than buying the D700. more like saying that he wasn't satisfied with his D700 even if it's a full-frame camera. not worth the extra bucks.
He was just being diplomatic and nice to you. He is after all your friend and knows you like Pentax.

06-21-2009, 02:03 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
He was just being diplomatic and nice to you. He is after all your friend and knows you like Pentax.
! I would prefer him to be diplomatic rather than some stubborn photographer arguing and parading that his gadget is the best. anyway, I believe he is honest enough to show that he ain't that satisfied. he might get a new replacement or probably just get another camera brand. Full-Frames always have a certain edge over smaller sized sensors, no question about that.
06-21-2009, 06:03 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Free repair to original owner or not... Free

I haven't had the mirror fallout problem with either of my 5D. But if I want I can contact canon, schedule a pickup and within a week have my 5D with new mirrorbox installed & returned for FREE. No cost to ship to or from Canon. No Pentax type $19.95 service fee for warranty repair required in USA with me also paying shipping. No 2 month repair turnaround like Pentax.

5D repair is absolutely free. No matter if camera was made in 2005 or 2006 or 2007 or 2008. And Best of ALL :

No matter if you are original purchaser or not...

The repair is (((Free)))

Support - EOS 5D - Service Notices - Canon USA Consumer Products

Now concerning D700 I have not seen anything on web concerning exposure issues , nor have I seen this problem firsthand. I can't recalling reading about this problem either. Thats a bummer all your friends with D700 's have this problem. Got any links , I'd like to read up on this common D700 problem.

06-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Samsungian, do you know why Canon is so magnanimous in replacing the original 5D's mirror free, even if one haven't yet faced the problem?

Very simply to appease irate Canon users who experienced this issue firsthand and to mitigate against future complaints. If ever this was an admission of poor design or assembly, this has got to be it.

A pro wedding photographer friend was so exasperated when the mirror of his 5D fell out during a wedding assignment overseas that even today he just doesn't have anything good to say about this camera.
Your experience with your 5Ds might well be better than his.
06-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
I agree; why is this even a debate? Comparing new release price to used street price? I don't get it.
It's a meaningful debate because the thread was not supposed to be about which one is a better camera, per se, but the question of which one would be better to put some money towards. I mean, yes, the K-7 is a fantastic camera, but there are still some things about a used 5D that might make it a better buy for some.
06-21-2009, 11:21 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I haven't had the mirror fallout problem with either of my 5D. But if I want I can contact canon, schedule a pickup and within a week have my 5D with new mirrorbox installed & returned for FREE. No cost to ship to or from Canon. No Pentax type $19.95 service fee for warranty repair required in USA with me also paying shipping. No 2 month repair turnaround like Pentax.

5D repair is absolutely free. No matter if camera was made in 2005 or 2006 or 2007 or 2008. And Best of ALL :

No matter if you are original purchaser or not...

The repair is (((Free)))

Support - EOS 5D - Service Notices - Canon USA Consumer Products

Now concerning D700 I have not seen anything on web concerning exposure issues , nor have I seen this problem firsthand. I can't recalling reading about this problem either. Thats a bummer all your friends with D700 's have this problem. Got any links , I'd like to read up on this common D700 problem.
lol what? Pentax didn't charge me for a warranty fix. 3 week turnaround INCLUDING the week of Christmas. So...about 2 weeks normal time. Cost me like $12 to ship it to them...so? I got a free viewfinder AND sensor cleaning out of it. I'm thinking about sending the K10 in like once a year to have everything cleaned up and looked over. And why not? Everything needs maintenance.

Car recalls are (usually) free, as well. Should I also request compensation for driving to the dealership to get it fixed...not only gas but time too?
06-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #43
Veteran Member

3 weeks and $12, sweet

My paperwork I got with K20D says $19.95 handlling fee to be included with K20D sent for repair plus I pay shipping.

Quick turn around for you too. I read worse. Yours is better. Nice to know. I wonder why they treat K10D different than K20D repairs ?

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
lol what? Pentax didn't charge me for a warranty fix. 3 week turnaround INCLUDING the week of Christmas. So...about 2 weeks normal time. Cost me like $12 to ship it to them...so? I got a free viewfinder AND sensor cleaning out of it. I'm thinking about sending the K10 in like once a year to have everything cleaned up and looked over. And why not? Everything needs maintenance.

Car recalls are (usually) free, as well. Should I also request compensation for driving to the dealership to get it fixed...not only gas but time too?
06-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Mirror fall out has been known since mid 2006...

One of the reasons I bought two 5D. Anyways if one is a pro aren't pro's supposed to carry back up for paying work?

But I agree it sucks his mirror fell out and he had no back up.

From what I read its the glue that failed. I've read of a couple instances where the pro simply glued it back in place and continued on. Pretty smart & pretty simple. You'll know the mirror is loose when the viewfinder blacks out. So I've read.

Samsungian, do you know why Canon is so magnanimous in replacing the original 5D's mirror free, even if one haven't yet faced the problem?

Very simply to appease irate Canon users who experienced this issue firsthand and to mitigate against future complaints. If ever this was an admission of poor design or assembly, this has got to be it.

A pro wedding photographer friend was so exasperated when the mirror of his 5D fell out during a wedding assignment overseas that even today he just doesn't have anything good to say about this camera.
Your experience with your 5Ds might well be better than his.
06-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
My paperwork I got with K20D says $19.95 handlling fee to be included with K20D sent for repair plus I pay shipping.

Quick turn around for you too. I read worse. Yours is better. Nice to know. I wonder why they treat K10D different than K20D repairs ?
No idea dude...I sent mine in late-December 08, purchased right after Christmas 07. Mad that I didn't have it for Christmas but was surprised to see it so early in January...

Weird that they charged you. Some car mechanics have a free inspection, while others charge like $60-100 upfront before they even touch the car