Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #46
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
One of the reasons I bought two 5D. Anyways if one is a pro aren't pro's supposed to carry back up for paying work?

But I agree it sucks his mirror fell out and he had no back up.

From what I read its the glue that failed. I've read of a couple instances where the pro simply glued it back in place and continued on. Pretty smart & pretty simple. You'll know the mirror is loose when the viewfinder blacks out. So I've read.
Of course as a pro he had a back up camera but that is not the point is it?
The 5D wasn't exactly pocket change when it first came out and for a camera of that price bracket to have this issue is pretty disappointing to say the least. Is it any wonder Canon dropped the price of this camera and users quickly started letting go of it cheap because people who know about this issue don't want to experience it first hand.

Simply glueing it back... ha, ha, now that's a good joke one can crack over coffee. Unfortunately it's not such a simple workaround. The mirror affects viewfinder alignment and focusing accuracy and slapping glue on the back just won't hack it. Good luck if it works for you.

06-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #47
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
5D is consumer grade full frame: Not a pro Caliber camera

5D at issue was $3299.

You're right, thats alot of money, then again their pro rated full frame model issues at $8,000.


I wonder why he didn't buy the $8,000 one for paying work instead of using a consumer grade full frame? Real pro would drop $16,000 on 2 ,you know cause you're supposed to be ready with back up inhand for paying gigs right?


I didn't read the two shooters having issues resticking their mirrors. I guess that makes the failure a :

"Whew!"

Instead of crying about this failure years later huh?

Canon fixes it for free, what more do you want? You don't even own Canon gear Creampuff.

or Do You?

I own Canon gear & it doesn't bother me one bit. I own two 5D and I haven't scheduled a repair for either. I do occasionally put tiny bit of upward pressure underneath my mirrors. Nice & Tight for me... so far.

I got a problem with either then a week later its fixed & I'm Golden

Anyways my #1 5D manufacture dates to November 2007 and #2 5D dates to April 2008:

Well past the known bad glue manufacture dates. Still in a year or so I may schedule the fix and free gradis sensor clean and recalibration... or I may let the next owner(s) of the 5D pair get it done...

For Free ;^)


QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Of course as a pro he had a back up camera but that is not the point is it?
The 5D wasn't exactly pocket change when it first came out and for a camera of that price bracket to have this issue is pretty disappointing to say the least. Is it any wonder Canon dropped the price of this camera and users quickly started letting go of it cheap because people who know about this issue don't want to experience it first hand.

Simply glueing it back... ha, ha, now that's a good joke one can crack over coffee. Unfortunately it's not such a simple workaround. The mirror affects viewfinder alignment and focusing accuracy and slapping glue on the back just won't hack it. Good luck if it works for you.

Last edited by Samsungian; 06-21-2009 at 07:34 PM.
06-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #48
Site Supporter
mrt10x's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Woodland Park CO
Posts: 102
my recent warranty repair with Pentax was free.. Shipped from HI to CO on one thursday..back in my hands the next Friday.. no charges what so ever... and they extended the 1 year warranty from the date of the repair.
06-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #49
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
I've got to read my K20D warranty again...

I'm certain it said to include $19.95 handling fee and pay shipping to Colorado.

Thats great turn around. What was your dslr in for? Was it K20D ?

QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
my recent warranty repair with Pentax was free.. Shipped from HI to CO on one thursday..back in my hands the next Friday.. no charges what so ever... and they extended the 1 year warranty from the date of the repair.


06-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #50
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
Wow, thank you for telling me that I don't own Canon Samsungian.
Please don't make simple assumptions that just because I use Pentax that I am not conversant with Canon gear... and to add I am not at all bothered about Canon or Nikon gear, they are just tools to get the job done.

Your comment about what a my pro friend is supposed to use and about backup cameras really betrays your ignorance. Of course he carries back-up cameras as I had mentioned earlier. By way of credentials, he's a member of the Wedding Photojournalist Association and an Associate of the MPA, and shoots weddings at locations around the world. Are you even in the same league? So what's your point and advice about gear?

Please go and console yourself that your Canon toys are still good and that your were justified in buying them. This however is a Pentax forum and I don't need to know how much the 5D costs nor the manufacture date of your cameras nor what you want to do with them. You'll get a better response on a Canon photographic forum...
06-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #51
Site Supporter
mrt10x's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Woodland Park CO
Posts: 102
It is a k20d, I did have to pay shipping to CO..but that was a grand $7 via USPS priority mail. It was in for my own stupidity, and yet they covered it under warranty. I wasnt exactly forthcoming about the cause of the problem, but I am sure it was pretty obvious. They fixed the problem with the aperture not stopping down while using the flash, both built and and the 540FGZ, the problem working with my Sigma 105 Macro, did a focus adjustment (thank god, I recommend anyone wondering if their K20 has a focusing issue to send it in.. it probably does) and cleaned everything up. They shipped it back to me UPS 2nd day air, and havent asked me for any money yet .
06-21-2009, 11:47 PM   #52
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Wow, thank you for telling me that I don't own Canon Samsungian.
Please don't make simple assumptions that just because I use Pentax that I am not conversant with Canon gear... and to add I am not at all bothered about Canon or Nikon gear, they are just tools to get the job done.

Your comment about what a my pro friend is supposed to use and about backup cameras really betrays your ignorance. Of course he carries back-up cameras as I had mentioned earlier. By way of credentials, he's a member of the Wedding Photojournalist Association and an Associate of the MPA, and shoots weddings at locations around the world. Are you even in the same league? So what's your point and advice about gear?

Please go and console yourself that your Canon toys are still good and that your were justified in buying them. This however is a Pentax forum and I don't need to know how much the 5D costs nor the manufacture date of your cameras nor what you want to do with them. You'll get a better response on a Canon photographic forum...

06-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #53
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
You're the one with a Canon problem, not me

I'm satisfied with my canon gear. I fully recognize I own consumer grade full frame cameras. Would I build a wedding business on a consumer camera platform?

No.

Probody Dslrs are very expensive, not merely expensive. 5D is not a probody, even if its used by a Professional.


You seem to know alot of Canon and Nikon shooters. Me too. Infact I know of no one locally who still shoots with Pentax, well except for my wife.


So Creampuff, what Canon gear do you own ?

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Wow, thank you for telling me that I don't own Canon Samsungian.
Please don't make simple assumptions that just because I use Pentax that I am not conversant with Canon gear... and to add I am not at all bothered about Canon or Nikon gear, they are just tools to get the job done.

Your comment about what a my pro friend is supposed to use and about backup cameras really betrays your ignorance. Of course he carries back-up cameras as I had mentioned earlier. By way of credentials, he's a member of the Wedding Photojournalist Association and an Associate of the MPA, and shoots weddings at locations around the world. Are you even in the same league? So what's your point and advice about gear?

Please go and console yourself that your Canon toys are still good and that your were justified in buying them. This however is a Pentax forum and I don't need to know how much the 5D costs nor the manufacture date of your cameras nor what you want to do with them. You'll get a better response on a Canon photographic forum...



Last edited by Samsungian; 06-22-2009 at 07:09 AM.
06-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #54
Veteran Member
soccerjoe5's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
Things seem to have gotten quite personal here, it might be better to take your argument/discussion to private messaging.
06-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #55
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Things seem to have gotten quite personal here, it might be better to take your argument/discussion to private messaging.
I was thinking cage match might be better.
06-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #56
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
I'm not feeling personally attacked by Creampuff

We're just having an arm wrestling match in a thread called:


Pentax K 7 or Canon 5D

Creampuff's got lots of unhappy friends who own both 5D or D700 and I own both and I'm happy with both. Neither 5D or D700 are marketed as probodies, nor are they priced at ProSpec'd levels. Both Canon and Nikon charge more coin for ProSpec'd Dslrs.


I usually do not bring up the fact I own Nikon D700 & Canon 5D & Pentax K20D in just any old thread here. I save this for topics like this:

When a Pentax owner wants to compare his Pentax brand to Nikon System or Canon System. Note I do add the word "System" to Canon and Nikon. As I own all three and this topic is comparing one brand to another it seems a fair place. No?

I suppose I could remain quiet as people in these type of threads just want to boost pentax up in comparing their choice to "Systems" they do not own?


I like all three brands. Each is a tool, each serves a function.

I don't buy into the idea a Wedding Pro feels vicitimized by Canon because their consumer full frame failed him/her. There is a reason why Canon 5D mark II is $2699 and their flagship thesedays sells for $6,500. One is consumer, one is pro.

Sure a pro can use anything to make a living with.

We get this same debate whether Pentax K-7 is ProSpec'd dslr? Pentax doesn't market it as Professional grade dslr, At least not yet. I wonder why???

I'm reserving judgement on K-7 till Pentax actually makes available real K-7 production samples and not beta samples we've been reading about:


>>>>>"Amateur Photographer (AP) has delayed its review of the Pentax K7 digital SLR after learning that the final version will include a modified imaging sensor".<<<<<<

>>>>>AP, the world's oldest consumer weekly photographic magazine, was loaned a pre-production sample of the camera for review, and has received updated firmware".<<<<<

>>>>>"However, Pentax UK has since revealed that the final version of the K7 available to consumers will include an altered sensor".<<<<<<<

>>>>>>"The magazine's technical department explained that it will not be testing the K7 DSLR 'until a full retail unit is available so that our tests accurately reflect what readers can expect."<<<<<<


In conclusion I've touched on the thread topic once more:

Pentax K7 (((which does not exist))) or Canon 5D (((which is no longer in production)))?


QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Things seem to have gotten quite personal here, it might be better to take your argument/discussion to private messaging.

Last edited by Samsungian; 06-22-2009 at 10:29 AM.
06-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #57
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,255
QuoteOriginally posted by slrl0ver Quote
I've been pondering the K7 vs. 5DMK2 vs. D700 as well and spent quite a bit of time looking at pictures from all the cameras.
Without splitting hairs as to which produces more (Canikon) or less (Pentax) smeared photos---or more (Pentax) or less (FF Canikon) noisy >800 ISO photos--an important question is application: If you want really fast, wide angle lenses (say Sigma 24 f/1.8) to become wide, you really do need full frame. If you still want to keep cropability AND have wide angle lenses to become wide, you want high resolution FF.

Pentax will be forced to put a FF sensor onto their cameras--or throw in the towel---once they become cheap enough, once a brand new FF body costs ~1500USD (today's USD).

Last edited by asdf; 06-22-2009 at 10:32 AM.
06-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #58
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,255
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Neither 5D or D700 are marketed as probodies, nor are they priced at ProSpec'd levels. Both Canon and Nikon charge more coin for ProSpec'd Dslrs.
D700 from Nikon

"Handling agility fused with Nikon’s 12.1-megapixel FX-format CMOS sensor, assures professional image quality with low-noise, high-ISO performance."

As far as I can tell, D700 is supposed to be a top-of-the-line compact FF DSLR, nothing more nothing less, hence the slogan "agility meets FXability."

BTW, shouldn't that be "ProSpec(tm)"?
06-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #59
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
What do Nikon say about D3 ? and D3x ?

Maybe Nikon has upgraded their view on D700 ?

It certainly is more robust than my 5D.

Originally D3 and D3x were their full frame pro dslrs:


Nikon | D3 SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 25434 | B&H Photo

The Nikon D3 Professional SLR Digital Camera features the exclusive FX-format CMOS sensor, measuring 23.9 x 36mm, which is nearly identical to the size of a 35mm film frame - thereby eliminating any significant crop factor or focal length multiplier. Images taken with the D3 exhibit exceptional overall quality, broad tonal range and depth, along with extremely low-noise throughout its normal ISO range of 200 to 6400. Furthermore, by setting the camera to its built-in options of Lo-1 or Hi-2, the ISO range of the camera can be expanded to the equivalent of ISO 100 or ISO 25,600 respectively, offering unmatched versatility in practically any shooting situation.



versus


Nikon | D700 SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 25444 | B&H

The Nikon D700 SLR Digital Camera brings professional imaging with a full frame image sensor to a lightweight yet durable camera body. It features the exclusive 12.1 Megapixel FX-format CMOS sensor, measuring 23.9 x 36mm, which is nearly identical to the size of a 35mm film frame - thereby eliminating any significant crop factor or focal length multiplier. Images taken with the D700 exhibit exceptional overall quality, broad tonal range and depth, along with extremely low-noise throughout its expansive ISO range of 200 to 6400. Nikon's exclusive EXPEED Image Processing System is central to driving the speed and processing power needed for many of the camera's features; such as the 51-point auto focus system and speedy 5 fps frame advance, and the camera incorporates many of the features that have made point-and-shoot digital cameras so popular - such as Live View, Auto ISO, and in-camera image enhancement.


versus


Nikon | D3x SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 25442 | B&H Photo

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
D700 from Nikon

"Handling agility fused with Nikon’s 12.1-megapixel FX-format CMOS sensor, assures professional image quality with low-noise, high-ISO performance."

As far as I can tell, D700 is supposed to be a top-of-the-line compact FF DSLR, nothing more nothing less, hence the slogan "agility meets FXability."

BTW, shouldn't that be "ProSpec(tm)"?
06-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #60
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,435
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote



In conclusion I've touched on the thread topic once more:

Pentax K7 (((which does not exist))) or Canon 5D (((which is no longer in production)))?
That's funny...........
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
5d, camera, dslr, noise, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching to Canon 5D, advice needed on adapting Pentax lenses on canon camera hangu Photographic Technique 4 08-19-2010 09:09 PM
Non-Canon zoom lens on Canon DSLR, what's up? GerryL Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 21 06-26-2010 07:23 PM
New to Pentax from the Canon Camp Pentax equivalent to Canon 70-200mm f/4 L frank2001 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 53 12-23-2009 05:07 PM
For Sale - Sold: Canon EOS Digital Rebel + Battery Grip + Canon EF 28-135IS inneyeseakay Sold Items 0 04-30-2009 01:31 PM
For Sale - Sold: Canon Rebel XT/350D, Sigma 18-200, Canon 50mm (more)… Duh_Vinci Sold Items 14 02-01-2007 01:14 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top