2x TC II

300mm 4 IS USM

Pentax K20D for

14mm 2.8 Tamron

50mm 2.8 SMC-A Macro

105mm 2.5 Vivitar Series 1 Macro

80-320mm FA 4.5-5.6

300mm 2.8 Tamron Adaptall 2

Pentax 1.7x manual focus to autofocus function teleconveter used specifically with the 300mm 2.8, when I'm shooting K20D

400mm SMC-A 5.6

The wife and I both shoot. So when we travel the pair of 5D is what we primarily use. I added D700 and all the Nikon lenses this year, 2009, to better cover ultrawide captures: Nikon is Reigning King of Ultra Wide imaging, & the K20D stays home. When wife travels alone she focuses on her macro captures with K20D and includes the 14mm to incase she needs a wide angle and 80-320 FA to round out her small 4 lens 1 camera travel kit.

"Why not 4 or 5 brands?"

Interesting idea. I actually read up on all brands I can afford, so Panasonic GH1 is appealing and also not available like Pentax K-7. I like Olympus E-3 also but I'm pretty satisfied with my kit as is. When I see the doubling of price for new Pentax lenses I have zero regrets in owning three brands instead of just Pentax:

My first Dslr brand choice.

As I own both Nikon and Canon I am not forced to comply with the new Hoya-Pentax lens pricing structure. I do realize K20D is not weather resistant without a weather resistant lens mounted. No Limiteds are WeatherResistent, nor are any FA, neither are SMC-A are weather resistant.

I get along fine on Nikon boards discussing Canon & Pentax ownership, Canon boards discussing Nikon & Pentax ownership. Its only in Pentax where Pentaxians Flip Out when anyone questions their Anti Nikon & Canon sentiments/statements, even in a thread comparing "Pentax K-7 to Canon 5D".

No Biggie, Pentax K-7 may or may not be the next camera I buy. It sure won't be at issue/launch price as I'll never make that mistake again. I'll wait 7&1/2 months like I did with K20D, you know, when pentax is selling K-7 for $500 to $600 less than $1,299 launch price. By then I'll know what to expect from actual production cameras in owners hands & their lenses. I find the K20D to be an exceptional camera and I've already got the 6 frame per second option covered with D700. Everyone says they Do Not Want HD in a Dslr ,yet it seems thats the one feature I don't have in my imaging system. This why I continue to read up on GH1 & its HD lens included for just $200 more than K-7. In other parts of the world GH1 is already getting in owners hands. I know of No owners who own production K-7 cameras yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
What I would really like to know is "why" a photographer needs 3 different brand of Dslr
to accomplish his hobby/living - why not 4,5 - heck why not one from every brand?

Is the decision, say a 5D with 24-70L for landscape, D700 with say 70-200 2.8 for sports and the K20D with a pancake or two for travel??

Surely the best all rounder is the D700 and just about any subject or job could be accomplished - so if I owned this camera - why on earth would I really need a camera from another brand??

Dyl

Last edited by Samsungian; 06-23-2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added "macro"
06-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I would really like to know is "why" a photographer needs 3 different brand of Dslr
to accomplish his hobby/living - why not 4,5 - heck why not one from every brand?

Is the decision, say a 5D with 24-70L for landscape, D700 with say 70-200 2.8 for sports and the K20D with a pancake or two for travel??

Surely the best all rounder is the D700 and just about any subject or job could be accomplished - so if I owned this camera - why on earth would I really need a camera from another brand??

Dyl
While I can't knock people for having multiple brands, I personally would not want to. I like being able to pick up either of my cameras and have them pretty much work identically. There are some differences between the 50D and 1Ds2 as far as control layout, but the back button focusing, the quick dial, the front wheel are in the same place and work the same way.

I'd be pretty annoyed if I had to swap around between cameras with dials and functions in weird places...

(Now, for my film cameras, I enjoy the differences and tinkering with them... for digital I just want to get the shot and not have things get in the way of it!)
06-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian:
Its only in Pentax where Pentaxians Flip Out when anyone questions their Anti Nikon & Canon sentiments/statements, even in a thread comparing "Pentax K-7 to Canon 5D".
I usually do not enter into these type of exchanges, but I could not help myself this time. In my opinion, the only one that has flipped out in this thread is you. In a thread comparing pros and cons of K-7 vs. 5D, Creampuff mentioned some issues of 5D. You obviously could not handle that, and started to accuse a pro friend of him, that had a problem with the mirror on his 5D, of not being a pro. First saying he could not be a pro since he did not have a back up. When finding that that was a inaccurate accusation, you instead tried another angle on the same theme; him not being a pro since 5D is not a "pro camera" (even though you in another place stated that you you read that some pros just glued the mirror back...).

Then you go on and accuse this Forum and Pentaxians of "flipping out". Of the different brand specific boards that I have looked in, I find this forum to be the most open minded towards discussing the merits of different camera brands. And I do think your postings here are more going on personal attacks than discussing the topic per se.

Best regards,
Haakan
06-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whether or not every one on the Pentax Forum is deluded, we have all chosen to be here for some reason. I do think it is silly to post the question in the forum "Should I buy Pentax?" Most of those here have bought Pentax and (I assume) are reasonably satisfied. There are upsides to every brand and I certainly can enjoy my cameras, without belittling anyone else's experience. I am just glad that Pentax makes a camera that facilitates for me the process of photography, rather than getting in the way.

06-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #80
Veteran Member

I missed the part about the 5D not being a "pro camera" -- somebody ought to tell all the working pros using them about that. The 5D and 5DII are all over the freakin' place in weddings and portrait work. Lots of pros don't like the extra weight of the 1-series bodies and don't need the build and autofocus they offer for their work. Hell, a lot of pros shoot with 40Ds and 50Ds, including some very respected wildlife photographers.

(edit: I know they are supposedly "prosumer" cameras, but in reality quite a few pros rely on them for their work, and not being a 1-series body is no excuse for things literally falling apart!)
06-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Nikon D700 for

8mm 2.8 AiS Nikon Circular Fisheye,

14-24mm AF-S 2.8 Nikon

85mm 1.4 AiS

70-300mm AF-S VR II 4.5-5.6

300mm 2.8 AiS

TC-1.4xB

TC-301 2x

Canon Two 5D for

16-35mm 2.8 II USM

24-70mm 2.8 USM

50mm 2.5 Macro

100mm 2.8 Macro USM

70-200mm 2.8 IS USM

1.4x TC II

2x TC II

300mm 4 IS USM

Pentax K20D for

14mm 2.8 Tamron

50mm 2.8 SMC-A Macro

105mm 2.5 Vivitar Series 1 Macro

80-320mm FA 4.5-5.6

300mm 2.8 Tamron Adaptall 2

Pentax 1.7x manual focus to autofocus function teleconveter used specifically with the 300mm 2.8, when I'm shooting K20D

400mm SMC-A 5.6

The wife and I both shoot. So when we travel the pair of 5D is what we primarily use. I added D700 and all the Nikon lenses this year, 2009, to better cover ultrawide captures: Nikon is Reigning King of Ultra Wide imaging, & the K20D stays home. When wife travels alone she focuses on her macro captures with K20D and includes the 14mm to incase she needs a wide angle and 80-320 FA to round out her small 4 lens 1 camera travel kit.

"Why not 4 or 5 brands?"Good question. I'm like you...over the years I have gone into different systems from different manufacturers...always keeping everything, never selling anything.There are some downsides though. I have been photographing since '68 and I have Pentax film slr, Pentax digital DSLR, Mamiya medium format, Yashica medium format, Leica Rangefinder 35 mm, Zeiss- Ikon Super Ikonta medium formay, Olympus 35 mm, Canon digital, Panasonic Lumix with Leitz lens (digital)...but is this necessarily a good idea to have a huge range of different cameras ?

I dunno...the more I think about it...I might be better off choosing, then sticking to a particular brand. That way all my resources for equipment , lenses, bodies go into one system. Rather than what I have done...I have a variety of systems...Pentax digital DSLR...couple of bodies, fair amount of lenses, accessories.then my Mamiya system...3 lenses, accessories for this medium format film system.

If I had to do it all over again, I would stick with one really good brand. The other thing is that we all have different budgets and as such it makes more sense to channel our resources into one sytem.

Interesting idea. I actually read up on all brands I can afford, so Panasonic GH1 is appealing and also not available like Pentax K-7. I like Olympus E-3 also but I'm pretty satisfied with my kit as is. When I see the doubling of price for new Pentax lenses I have zero regrets in owning three brands instead of just Pentax:

My first Dslr brand choice.

As I own both Nikon and Canon I am not forced to comply with the new Hoya-Pentax lens pricing structure. I do realize K20D is not weather resistant without a weather resistant lens mounted. No Limiteds are WeatherResistent, nor are any FA, neither are SMC-A are weather resistant.

I get along fine on Nikon boards discussing Canon & Pentax ownership, Canon boards discussing Nikon & Pentax ownership. Its only in Pentax where Pentaxians Flip Out when anyone questions their Anti Nikon & Canon sentiments/statements, even in a thread comparing "Pentax K-7 to Canon 5D".

No Biggie, Pentax K-7 may or may not be the next camera I buy. It sure won't be at issue/launch price as I'll never make that mistake again. I'll wait 7&1/2 months like I did with K20D, you know, when pentax is selling K-7 for $500 to $600 less than $1,299 launch price. That's the way it is with most cameras...isn't it ? Nikon D200's are being sold for $ 600 something...new...why...because the D300 is out and therefore the D200 is yesterday's news. Same deal with the CaNON 30d..OR NOW THE 40d. Some companies try to pedal old stock off at full or near full retail price...but if you look around...you can get good deals on so-called obsolete equipment. I got my K10D for significantly less than when it was introduced, but then I waited till Nov. 2007...when it only had a few months left as King of the Pentax Hill. By then I'll know what to expect from actual production cameras in owners hands & their lenses. I find the K20D to be an exceptional camera and I've already got the 6 frame per second option covered with D700. Everyone says they Do Not Want HD in a Dslr ,yet it seems thats the one feature I don't have in my imaging system. This why I continue to read up on GH1 & its HD lens included for just $200 more than K-7. In other parts of the world GH1 is already getting in owners hands. I know of No owners who own production K-7 cameras yet.
I will also hold off on the K7 until I see reviews, owner's comments, actually get a chance to try a K7 out.
06-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #82
Pentaxian

I've seen and handled the Canon 5D. Nice camera...but after seeing the pictures..of the subjects that I like to take..wildlife, vintage cars...I don't see any marked improvement on their product compared to what a Canon 30D, 40D or Pentax K10D can produce.

Would I lke a Canon 5D...yes, because I'm the kind of guy that likes new toys...all the time. Would also like a Pentax K7, Nikon D700....one of those new Mamiya and Hasselblad digitals.

I'd like it ...all...

06-23-2009, 11:29 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've seen and handled the Canon 5D. Nice camera...but after seeing the pictures..of the subjects that I like to take..wildlife, vintage cars...I don't see any marked improvement on their product compared to what a Canon 30D, 40D or Pentax K10D can produce.

Would I lke a Canon 5D...yes, because I'm the kind of guy that likes new toys...all the time. Would also like a Pentax K7, Nikon D700....one of those new Mamiya and Hasselblad digitals.

I'd like it ...all...
how bout the ZD Back Mamiya? a professional photographer friend of mine has one for his more serious photo works. ads in particular. funny thing is, he uses his Canon more because he's afraid of breaking his Mamiya.

I had seen sample shots coming from the Mamiya ZD and let me just say that those photos come to life (no matter how flat or awkward the photos were taken). even more impressive when done in proper composition. totally breathtaking.

as for me, that toy is just too much for me to handle right now.
06-24-2009, 03:14 AM   #84
Veteran Member

The reality is though Samsungian that many advanced photographers, dare I say "pro"photographers just do not have the "dosh" for such multi-brand ownership approach.

I have worked alongside some excellent working pros and there equipment generally is quite modest - just the right mix to get the job done and get paid.

For sure if money is absolutely no object in ones life - why not, so I'm not at odds with your purchase decisions - I was purely intrigued due to the fact I have worked as a paid professional and churned out many excellent photos with very modest equipment and still do today

Regards

Dylan
06-24-2009, 03:57 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amphysics Quote
Now K 7 has the same price with 5D, which one is better? Should I get a full frame or a new Camera?

5D might have lower noise, but it has too many flaws: dustprone, smaller viewfinder, no video, not Live View, ....

K7 has too many strengths except it has a higher noise.

Which is better?
If you shoot mostly wide angle, need speed (and DA 14 f/2.8 is not fast enough for you) and do not require/want weather sealing, get the 5D. If you're a telephoto shooter and/or require/want weather sealing, get the K-7.

Last edited by asdf; 06-24-2009 at 04:12 AM.
06-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #86
Veteran Member

I didn't plan on keeping Pentax when I added Canon

Then I delayed selling off my K Mount lenses. Once the K20D got low enough to pique my interest, I added it. Once I kept Pentax gear with Canon inhand it seemed simple to me to add specific Nikon gear to my kit.

Don't know if that means I have "dosh" but I am satisfied & the wife is satisfied with the way things are.

The reality is though Samsungian that many advanced photographers, dare I say "pro"photographers just do not have the "dosh" for such multi-brand ownership approach.

I have worked alongside some excellent working pros and there equipment generally is quite modest - just the right mix to get the job done and get paid.

For sure if money is absolutely no object in ones life - why not, so I'm not at odds with your purchase decisions - I was purely intrigued due to the fact I have worked as a paid professional and churned out many excellent photos with very modest equipment and still do today

Regards

Dylan
06-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #87
Inactive Account

3 different camera brands? More power to you; that's way more than I would ever want to take on. All are sufficiently different to cause headaches if you need to switch between them in the field. I operate my 5D almost instinctively now, and can handle 2 different button layouts from the same manufacturer ok (shot a 1DII + 20D for a while). But 3 button layouts and 3 different systems? I'm not man enough to take that on. Not to mention that doing so would spread my budget thin and none of the 3 systems would be as fleshed out as I'd want.
06-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #88
Veteran Member

3 different brands also means three potentially different RAW formats to introduce into your workflow. That could be a pain

Unless you standardise on saving in-camera DNG as your RAW format I guess.
06-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #89
Veteran Member

If you're using LR or Capture One or something you won't notice any difference really... just setup a decent preset for each and you're good.