Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #1

All around superzoom: Sigma v. Tamron?

Having preordered a K7, I'm looking to purchase a "compromise" superzoom lens for all-round use (akin to the Nikkor 18-200 VR I currently use with my D40).

I was planning on picking up Pentax's rebadged Tamron, but found it was discontinued; so figured I'd get the Tamron instead. However, I just came across this announcement about the 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM for Sony and Pentax SLR Cameras; so was hoping to get Pentax users thoughts on the two options, Sigma v. Tamron for this 18-250 lens?

06-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got the Tamron and like it a lot. The Sigma is an unknown but they make good lenses. Known good lens vs probably good lens with HSM. I don't know when the Sigma will really be available, the price comparison or how important HSM is to you (I can't get excited about it, myself.) Things to think about but your call.
06-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Inactive Account

my wife has the pentax 18-250 and i can't pry it off her k200.

i've pre-ordered the sigma 18-125 OS HSM. don't know when it'll be available, but pop photo reviewed it and it says it's pretty good. don't care about the OS part since we have SR. all i care is the IQ and focusing.

haven't heard much about the sigma 18-250 HSM, but from other users (nikon, canon), they seem to like this more than the tamron 18-270. check user reviews on amazon.

i've pretty much settled on the 18-125. it's cheaper and hopefully, better optics. i'll wait. for now i'll continue to use my 17-70 sigma

YMMV

btw, i have the sigma 50-150 and all i can say about the HSM is it's darn quiet but not necessarily faster than screw drive
06-18-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netarc Quote
Having preordered a K7, I'm looking to purchase a "compromise" superzoom lens for all-round use (akin to the Nikkor 18-200 VR I currently use with my D40).

I was planning on picking up Pentax's rebadged Tamron, but found it was discontinued; so figured I'd get the Tamron instead. However, I just came across this announcement about the 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM for Sony and Pentax SLR Cameras; so was hoping to get Pentax users thoughts on the two options, Sigma v. Tamron for this 18-250 lens?
Obviously, the latest Sigma HSM hasn't been tested, but...

Pentax SMC DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] - Lab Test Report / Review
(This is the rebadged Tamron superzoom.)

Sigma also makes good (although big) auto-focus primes (24 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.4 HSM), while on a Pentax body you get image stabilization with any lens...including old but great manual focus fixed-focal-length lenses:

Here's an abridged encyclopedia of Pentax k-mount lenses:
Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories

06-19-2009, 03:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
all i can say about the HSM is it's darn quiet but not necessarily faster than screw drive
That's what I'd say about my Sigma 70-200mm but, at my age, all lenses seem pretty quiet to me ;~)
06-19-2009, 04:30 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Tamron/Pentax lens seems to have quite a few fans out there. I haven't seen any for the Sigma, but that is probably just because it is new. Looking at Amazon, the Sigma is 100 dollars more than the Pentax. That is probably because it has built in IS on the lens -- not that important on Pentax since we have it in the camera. I guess I'd probably go with the Tamron/ Pentax.
06-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own the Sigma 18-125 non HSM version (DG) and have really injoyed it's optics. Although I been woo'ed away from it's routine use with my Tamron 18-250 and at times my DA 50-200. I keep finding that the Sigma is just right, solid build, weight about right, a little lenes creep but the lock switch is handy (ya wanna talk about lenes creep! the Tamron 18-250 just about falls out to full extension way too easily, I like it for the reach it provides but the lens creep is it's (the tammy) annoying reality). So if the Sigma 18-125 HSM versio is any thing like mine, it's a great lens IMHO.

06-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

While the Pentax 18-250mm may be technically discontinued, it is still readily available. You'll find it on Amazon.com, at B&H Photo and at Adorama to name a few places. I wonder when/if Pentax will come out with its own version of Tamron's 18-270mm lens. If it's important to you, the difference between 250 and 270mm isn't much... and the 18-250 is a bit smaller and lighter than the new lens.
06-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great!

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
. . . at my age all lenses seem pretty quiet
So I DO have something to look forward to after all! And all this time I thought
MF was the only answer!

H2

Blessed with listenin' better than seein'; but the shrill sounds of l'il kids makes
me wanna . . . ooh, maybe take their picture so I can embarrass 'em in their 'teen years!

OK, I'm exaggerating -- but anyone over bi-focal age with grand-kids and
without hearing aids understands the thought, right??

Please, nod yes.
06-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've owned the Tamron 18-250 since it first came out and it's a great travel/all in one lens. However, if I was to buy today, I'd seriously consider the Sigma just for the in-lens optical stabilization. Yeah, I know we have it in the body, but this way you can have a stabilized view from the viewfinder. It would be just one more option to have in your arsenal. Plus, I think it has HSM focusing. Those two things might push me towards Sigma.