Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #1

I now own a k20d

SO I finally pulled the trigger on a k20d. The video, etc of the k-7 wasn't enough to make me pay twice the cost, and I really wanted to get something to upgrade my k100d.

Managed to get it for $639 at buydig, so I'm pretty happy.

I bought just the body, so I probably need to think about some new glass. I was tempted to buy the new kit lens, but I'll probably try to get one used.

Here's the question...are there changes to the default settings you would recommend if one is going to be shooting RAW almost entirely? Or does it not matter?

Yay, k20d..soon you will be mine.

06-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jmbower Quote
SO I finally pulled the trigger on a k20d. The video, etc of the k-7 wasn't enough to make me pay twice the cost, and I really wanted to get something to upgrade my k100d.

Managed to get it for $639 at buydig, so I'm pretty happy.

I bought just the body, so I probably need to think about some new glass. I was tempted to buy the new kit lens, but I'll probably try to get one used.

Here's the question...are there changes to the default settings you would recommend if one is going to be shooting RAW almost entirely? Or does it not matter?

Yay, k20d..soon you will be mine.
Congrats, fellow Texan. I don't think the camera settings have much meaning when you're shooting RAW - as I do.

Jer
06-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
I guess I should have been more specific....not just the picture processing options, but also just th egeneral camera operation options...(like when I got my k100d I changed the aperture ring option so that I could use manual lenses with it, etc)....are there any options that pretty much everyone changes form the default, or is it good to go right out of the package?
06-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You'll need to customize it for the way you shoot.

06-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Looks like a lot of people are upgrading now that the price has started to fall some.
Mine is currently sitting in its shipping box waiting for me to get home from a business trip. At least it has 3 new lenses keeping it company.
06-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Congrats, fellow Texan. I don't think the camera settings have much meaning when you're shooting RAW - as I do.

Jer
Congrats fellow Texan and Houstonian! If you need hands on help locally, I am here!
Just let me know!
06-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote

Jer
Ditto. I even shoot Jpegs these days with k20d. Good enough

06-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
Forum Member

congrat on new camera! I love mine so I kmow you will love your. There were several things I changed when I got mine just to fit the way I shoot. However, I changed the default setting on ISO increment to the way that I can change ISO to 125, 160, or 640.
06-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #9

Well, since you ask, I would recommend moving AF to the AF button. A warning though, if you try it, you are not likely to switch back, you will probably lke the additional control. Only irritations are there is no AF button on the battery grip, and I have never managed to get catch in focus to work without moving the AF back to the shutter button.
06-19-2009, 02:37 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and great choice on an awesome camera.
Look forward to seeing your contributions here.
06-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just pulled the trigger on a K20d as well. I like having a second body that handles the same as the K10d. (I used to have quite a collection of K1000 and then MX bodies).

There will be a K7 somewhere in the future, when the price and firmware settles down.
06-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
Well, since you ask, I would recommend moving AF to the AF button. A warning though, if you try it, you are not likely to switch back, you will probably lke the additional control. Only irritations are there is no AF button on the battery grip, and I have never managed to get catch in focus to work without moving the AF back to the shutter button.
...and inactivating AF on the half shutter. You should have warned me, i find i can't go back to the old way.

This really does help. If you are in a difficult light situation, the AF button allows you to focus one time, providing you don't move away from that spot, and take multiple photos from that spot. Eliminates a lot of frustration with any low light focusing problems.

I do occasionally move it back when things are happening quickly, such as a moving subject, but then later always go back to the AF button.

Phil
06-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Great choice. One of the finest sensors out there. You can easily print an A2 format with excellent results. Play around with D Range when shooting in High Contrast conditions. Great results.

Ben
06-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #14

just bought another k20d yesterday same price 639.00 from bh photo...i ordered another k20d 4 months ago and sold my k10d with kit lenses to buy the 20d body ..so i have two 20d's i think i will be happy...i also did not need the video feature in the k7 camera ...if i want to shoot video ill buy a video camera
06-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Ditto. I even shoot Jpegs these days with k20d. Good enough
roentarre,

Do you have any suggestions for Jpeg settings?
I'm going to shoot Jpeg just to get the hang of my "new" (refurb) K20, I also want to see how my lenses do for FF and BF.

Thanks in advance,
Ray