Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do you focus?

If you use autofocus, what is your camera set on most of the time. Our Pentax cameras (K10 and K20) pretty much stay on center point focus 98% of the time. If I'm photographing a single teen or adult or maybe even a landscape, I'll select the point. I pretty much never use auto anymore. My photography improved by leaps and bounds when I started using center point instead of auto.

Just curious what does everyone else use?

And is it just me or is learning to focus properly the biggest adjustment people have when jumping from point and shoots to SLRs?

06-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Center, although I probably focus manually more often than I use AF.
06-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

On my DSLRs I shoot exclusively with older manual primes, so autofocus issues don't come into play. On my compacts, I use single point center spotmeter focusing to retain control. On my older non focus assisted optical finder film cameras, I use an uncoupled rangefinder, transferring resulting distances to the lens, or hyperfocal distance guesstimating method , stopped down to f:8 or f:11 most of the time.
06-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My K10D's on select focus, and I tend to use the middle 9 AF points the most.

06-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Forum Member

Perhaps this question has an obvious answer (though not to me; otherwise, why would I be asking it? ), but why would you set your camera to center-point autofocus? Is there a disadvantage to l setting it to SEL and then just leaving it in the middle? Isn't that the same thing, but with the added ability to select a different point if needed without having to flip that little wheel?
06-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #6

I take ritalin
06-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ballgofar Quote
Perhaps this question has an obvious answer (though not to me; otherwise, why would I be asking it? ), but why would you set your camera to center-point autofocus? Is there a disadvantage to l setting it to SEL and then just leaving it in the middle? Isn't that the same thing, but with the added ability to select a different point if needed without having to flip that little wheel?
Well, if you have a K2000/Km like I do, you have 2 choices for AF - center, and "let the camera decide". Since I don't always know what the camera will choose, I use center-focus.

With my AF lenses, I use AF 99% of the time. However, when I had a K100D, I would sometimes use MF in low-light situations

QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
I take ritalin

06-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Perhaps this question has an obvious answer (though not to me; otherwise, why would I be asking it? ), but why would you set your camera to center-point autofocus? Is there a disadvantage to l setting it to SEL and then just leaving it in the middle?
I don't want to accidentally press the 4-way buttons and unintentionally move my focus point off center. If I saw any advantage whatsoever to using other points, I'd reconsider, but I don't.
06-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
I take ritalin
My answer was "poorly", but I like that!

I'm a mix of Center/re-compose and straight manual focus. Once in a great while I'll use Select mode but auto-select pretty much always picks the wrong subject for me in candid environments where it is really intended.
06-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by walro Quote
If you use autofocus, what is your camera set on most of the time. Our Pentax cameras (K10 and K20) pretty much stay on center point focus 98% of the time. If I'm photographing a single teen or adult or maybe even a landscape, I'll select the point. I pretty much never use auto anymore. My photography improved by leaps and bounds when I started using center point instead of auto.

Just curious what does everyone else use?

And is it just me or is learning to focus properly the biggest adjustment people have when jumping from point and shoots to SLRs?
I nearly always use the center focus. Why? laziness, mostly. Over the years, using my ME Super and my MX I've become accustomed to using the center focus. With lock focus I see no reason to use anything else. I also tie my meter reading to my auto focus point. I like to choose both my focus point as well as where I take my spot or center weighted meter reading. I also use SMC Pentax-M primes and center weighted focus and meter reading is normal with those lenses. I use the Auto focus functions with those lenses as well.
06-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe Mr. Miage could help.
06-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter

For that rare occasion I could use an AF point other than center, I THINK I get the same outcome by focusing and using CWA metering in the center then with AE-L, re-composing and focusing on any other point. I find that way faster than changing AF points AND remembering to make sure it has not changed when I don't want it to (probably why I stopped using it). Obviously if CWA metering is not appropriate I have to change to matrix metering.

edit - i wonder if Obama had used chopsticks to catch the infamous fly Mr. Miage style if many interest groups would be rushing to his defense from peeeeta.
06-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #13

My camera is always on user select AF and after every shot, I set it back to the center point. I am a very firm believer that if you don't use the user selectable mode at least some times, you will miss some shots because of it. This is especially important in dim light, with wide apertures and a subject who is moving, even slightly.
06-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

9 AF points ! learn it, live it, love it !!!
06-20-2009, 05:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It's just as easy to leave it on the center AF point, and recompose as needed.