Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
AF in low light situations.

I have an IST*DL and I have trouble getting it to focus in low light situations. The hard part is its not at all consistent. Sometimes it will work just fine other times it just struggles and never focuses. I have to switch it to MF. Can anyone make some suggestions on this? I know that focusing on completely black items is just hard if not impossible at times so any ideas or advisement that can be shared would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

06-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've had the DL a couple of times, and the AF in low light can be a little difficult. I'd try to set it to center AF point so you know where it's focusing. Then, look for a high contrast part of the scene that's in the same focal plane as your intended focus point. That will help it lock focus. If you're using a Pentax lens with the quick shift focus adjustment, you can manually focus it close to the point and sometimes that will help it lock.

The best fall back advice is to practice your manual focus capabilities. The *ist DL is a nice camera, especially for the price, but the AF was one of the areas where they reduced features to make this an entry-level dSLR.

Hope these suggestions help. To help you quit worrying about the low light AF, just concentrate on the low light image quality you get from the camera. The 6mp CCD in that camera produces low light shots that are gorgeous.
06-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I've had the DL a couple of times, and the AF in low light can be a little difficult. I'd try to set it to center AF point so you know where it's focusing. Then, look for a high contrast part of the scene that's in the same focal plane as your intended focus point. That will help it lock focus. If you're using a Pentax lens with the quick shift focus adjustment, you can manually focus it close to the point and sometimes that will help it lock.

The best fall back advice is to practice your manual focus capabilities. The *ist DL is a nice camera, especially for the price, but the AF was one of the areas where they reduced features to make this an entry-level dSLR.

Hope these suggestions help. To help you quit worrying about the low light AF, just concentrate on the low light image quality you get from the camera. The 6mp CCD in that camera produces low light shots that are gorgeous.
Thank you this does help. When I am in low light I use the MF as much as possible unless it is a time where I know I wont have time to MF and the AF would be faster. But thank you I will just "deal" with it in a sense. Especially knowing that it is not me. The tips and advise you gave are exatly what I try to do and I guess I'm just learning to work around the little obsticles.

thanks!!