Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K100D: how sensitive is it to the elements?

Hi all

I have been checking out how waterproof the K10 is going to be.....
then my next question is..... how well does the non weather poof k100 do in the elements?

would I have to run like a chicken with a sprinkle? (exageration, of course)

thanks

11-03-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well it just so happens, the other night I had my K100 at a night out, It was sitting on a table when, someone who likes to speak with their hands, knocked over a glass of red wine, and it went all over my camera. Naturally I freaked out! Broke out in a cold sweat then Grabbed a cloth, and gave it a wipe down for about five minutes. I didn't turn it on, and left it off for about 2 hours. When I finally turned it on....it worked perfectly, test shots were fine.
So it got a bit of a soaking, and once I dried it and left it for a while, all was ok.
11-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

interesting to hear this kind of example being weather sealed

I was almost buying k100d til being convinced to wait for k10d... k100d is a great camera with great price in australia. I believe k10d can be taken into amazon jungle (just recommend my junior colleagues to take that to the jungle next year for a science research team)
11-15-2006, 05:05 AM   #4
Forum Member

That's nice to hear. I've wondered the same thing myself.
I'm very hard on a camera since I drag mine around in the woods
during hunting season.
I've thought about jury rigging something to protect the body,
like saran wrap or a ziplock bag.
I've seen the commercial bags, but don't like the idea.
I think a zip lock would work, except it would have to be pretty loose
to turn the thumb dial.

11-15-2006, 10:41 AM   #5

I was at a 3day motorsports event and it drizzled the whole weekend, I managed to save a yellow 8x11 size drawstring bag and I used it for the event. I cut a small hole to slip over the lens hood and the other end i left open to see what i was doing. Worked out pretty well and the camera stayed nice and dry.
I had to keep wiping off the uv filter w/ a microfiber cloth but that was unavoidable.

I think it's ludicrous to pay for a plastic bag just because it has the right cut outs, sheesh, w/ some patience you can make the same thing.