Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #16
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting... I had the body cap on, though... Maybe should make a hole in body cap

06-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Interesting... I had the body cap on, though... Maybe should make a hole in body cap
Oh shucks..and I thought I had something there!
Hmmm..makes it even more stupefying!
06-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
This could be too..'coz I remember toothpastes and shampoo or lotion being sqeezed out of the bottle or container after a flight.
If weather sealing worked too much and the pressure didn't equalize inside camera body and outside, I suppose this could happen.
This is something to consider in a flight..take off lens and put body cap on.
Cap would be easier to pop off by pressure than lens or anywhere the air wants to get out or in!

Taking off the lens may not have helped. The LCD it self (not the cover) sits on 4 foam/rubber cushions on the inside around the cut out for the LCD, there's one pieces of two way tape on the outside that holds the plastic outside LCD cover down and forms the weather-seal. The inside 4 cushion mounts just help keep dust from getting between the LCD and LCD cover. However this more than likely forms in many cases an air tight seal between the actual LCD screen and the LCD cover on the outside! I suppose if air inside the body is let out or in slow it helps slow the air ingress/egress from the LCD to LCD cover space, and indeed it may be better to keep the SD card door or front lens mount open to let air out/in out of the body faster.

I have read a post were the OVF broke during a flight, with a DA*16-50mm on the body. Those Pentax bodies are well sealed

BTW it is a very easy fix, your looking at a small plastic screen thats held down with two way tape. For a tech its a 15 minuet job. Its a do it yourself job for many, if Pentax would be willing to sell the outside cover and the one piece of pre-shaped two way tape. Its called the LCD window retainer tape, and is the weather-seal for the LCD.
06-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've travelled many thousands of air miles with my K10d in all sort of air craft and different carriers and never had any issue with the LCD screen, maybe I'm just lucky but I'd be pointing the finger at someone jamming their stupidly big bag into the overhead locker or a bag moving/falling onto yours in the overhead locker during the flight.

Even though the LCD protector didn't stop the damage it might have been a lot worse if it wasn't on.

06-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I flew several long flights last year with my K200D in the cabin. San Francisco to Paris and back, then San Francisco to Taiwan, Taiwan to Ho Chi Minh city, and then back to San Francisco the same way. I did not have any problem with the LCD . I only have a stick-on screen protector on the LCD. I did not use the camera while in flight, though.