Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #1

New K20D - Wow.. Fantastic Low Noise

I am a new K20D owner. I recently had the K10D, and decided I wanted to have a little more quality in the noise department at high ISO.

I was playing around with some shots today.. low light setting in a rather poorly lit room and was amazed at the quality of the ISO 1600 shots. So, I turned to the web and did some research.

Imaging-resource has comparisons of different models that you can look at full size, and I noticed that the K20D retains much more detail at ISO 1600 and 3200 than the Nikon D300 while keeping noise in check.

Has anyone else seen this? Am I missing something? It seems that over the last few months I have read a few posts on here slamming the K20D noise at ISO 1600 and above ( maybe that was on DPREVIEW ) but I can't be happier. This camera has fantastic image quality.. and doesn't smear high ISO shots....

06-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think most reviews I read before purchasing slammed it for having higher noise but higher detail because noise suppression was off by default. Most photogs would prefer to handle the noise themselves in PS or whatever software versus losing the detail in the camera.
There are times when I am shooting indoors at iso2500 and happy with the results w/o any processing. Other times I find shots at iso800, especially outdoors and cropped, can be problematic. So yes, the detail is there but the noise is too. Just depends on the situation as to whether its a problem. I found slightly less noise in the D60 and D90 Nikons I looked at along with the K20D but rejected them as they were also consistantly softer than what I was looking for at that price range for body/lens.
06-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day mate.
Welcome to the forum.
The K20D does shine in the ISO 1600 shots. A lot of users have commented here that ISO 3200 (and even 1600) is unusable, but I've got very acceptable results that I would never have achieved with my K10D in such low light settings.

Perhaps we might be expecting too much, like no noise at ISO 1600. And we've easily become Gen-Y in mentality wanting the new camera to come quickly to 'fix' all these 'problems' and turf out the old cam we once praised like it's of no use anymore.

Enjoy your K20D - it really is a solid performer.

Last edited by Ash; 06-21-2009 at 12:22 AM.
06-21-2009, 12:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I would have to agree. I just took some indoor shots of a play rehearsal with the lights not in their final config. No flash allowed. To use my slow Tamron 18-250, the Iso ranged from 800, a few 1100, and one 1600. I just processed the 1600 iso and its quite usable. Something i could never have done with my K10D Just had the K20 for a month.

The 18-250 feels like a whole new lens wtih the K20, iso enables faster shutter and better dof. But in addition, in a 24" by 36" print i made with the K20, the resolution is markedly improved over a comparable print i did with the K10 previously.

K20 is a winner!!!

Phil