Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Issue with *istD

So I had my camera in the trunk of my car. I stopped on the way into town to take a couple of shots. I pull the camera out, and turn it on. I go to take a picture, and it was slow reacting, and when the shutter finally snapped, it didn't release. I turned the camera off, and turned it back on to have a better look. The display on the top came up, but the counter for number of shots left, read 0. I think, "great, bad card", so I swap it out, and put in my other card. Turn it back on, and still same thing. I put it back in it's case, and continue into town. I go pick up what I needed, and think maybe the batteries are dying. They shouldn't have been, but I couldn't think of anything else. My other batteries were just charged yesterday, so I put them in. Same thing. No difference. So I pack everything back up and head home. I get home, and look at it more. I turned it on, and same thing. I press the menu button, and it won't go into the menu. Nothing. Some functions work. It meters correctly, I can change the ISO, picture quality, etc. I mess around with some of the other switches just to see what seems to be working, and what's not working. Finally after doing something (I have no idea what, as I was trying all kinds of things), the camera came back to life, and now seems to be working. (for now at least) Only thing that seemed not correct, it I had it in RAW, and it told me I was still good for 450 (approx) shots left. The card that was in there, should only get about 85 on the card. I selected format, and it read the card correctly after that. Just a note, this is NOT the card that was in there originally when the camera locked up. It was a little warm out today, but nothing crazy. Do these cameras have a shutdown function if they get to hot? I didn't think it was hot in the truck of the car, but that's the only thing I can think off.

06-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Doubt whether the problem is temperature. I've had my *istD six years and spent a lot of time travelling in northern outback Australia. Temps regularly over 40C and never had a probelm. I still use the little beauty as a walkaround camera with an old M40mm pancake on the front.

Good Luck

David
06-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmmm--- very strange behavior.

It seems that one (or both) the e-dials was not clicked into a positive "click" (does this sound right?). I mean, when one of the e-dials is left "between clicks", the camera will act very strange, including all of what you described.

This also includes the Af selector wheel...

It took me a while to discover this, which by the way, it also happens with the K20D. The bad thing here, is that is almost next to impossible to "recreate" the conditions that originally caused the strange behavior.
06-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Hmmmm--- very strange behavior.

It seems that one (or both) the e-dials was not clicked into a positive "click" (does this sound right?). I mean, when one of the e-dials is left "between clicks", the camera will act very strange, including all of what you described.

This also includes the Af selector wheel...

It took me a while to discover this, which by the way, it also happens with the K20D. The bad thing here, is that is almost next to impossible to "recreate" the conditions that originally caused the strange behavior.
I expect that it could have been something like that, considering that I had to push / move just about every button, then it worked. I'll keep that in mind if it happens again.

06-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Aha! The usual, when everything else fails, "push every button" technique!
Another technique (use on appliances mostly on TV sets before) was to bang and knock on the thing technique..hehe.
I doubt though that this would work, as the DSLR is a delicate peice of equipment.