Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K2000 lens mount

I am trying to understand the lens mount systems for recent Pentax models. I called our local photo shop and the reply was, "we have never carried Pentax cameras," and then went on to say Canon or Nikon or Leica. The local Wolf/Ritz also carries no Pentax.

My question is whether the K2000 is able to use older Pentax lenses in the way I have read about K20D and other models. I only have one 1:2 50mm lens from Asahi Optical Co., but am interested in picking up some older ones if I buy the K2000.

I am tempted by the new Olympus E-P1 but am afraid that the lack of a viewfinder is not acceptable. Alternatively, the E-620 looks interesting as does the Panasonic G1, but the Pentax seems like the best all around choice.

Thanks for your guidance.

06-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Aren't modern retailers wonderful?

But yes - a K2000 is K-mount and will use any of the old lenses.

Have a read of these two pages (as well as tons of stuff on this forum if you use the search option)
WRT the Olympus, I'd suggest a search about APS-C vs 4/3 sensors as well....there is a lot of discussion on Pros/Cons of the 4/3 sensor
Cheers

Last edited by MoiVous; 06-22-2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Sensor info
06-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you can use older lenses on a K2000, both K-mount and M42 screw mount. Almost all will work with no modifications needed to the camera or the lens.

The only caution is that screw mount lenses along with K-mount lenses lacking the "A" setting on the aperture ring are limited to "stop-down" metering. With these lenses, the aperture must be "stopped down" to determine the correct exposure. There is the potential for some loss of metering accuracy, but it generally is not a significant issue.

The nice thing is that the kit lens(es) that are usually bundled with the K2000 are pretty good performers so that the new user can get to work taking pictures with very little time with the manual.

Steve
06-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
Aren't modern retailers wonderful?

But yes - a K2000 is K-mount and will use any of the old lenses.

Have a read of these two pages (as well as tons of stuff on this forum if you use the search option)
WRT the Olympus, I'd suggest a search about APS-C vs 4/3 sensors as well....there is a lot of discussion on Pros/Cons of the 4/3 sensor
Cheers
Thanks. One of the readings to which you linked suggested that the K2000 body -- and the other contemporary ones, such as K20D, etc. -- has a "crippled" KAF2 lens mount, but then says more information is coming soon about what it really means. Does this have any practical effect using lenses produced for these digital cameras?

06-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
Thanks. One of the readings to which you linked suggested that the K2000 body -- and the other contemporary ones, such as K20D, etc. -- has a "crippled" KAF2 lens mount, but then says more information is coming soon about what it really means. Does this have any practical effect using lenses produced for these digital cameras?
In most cases, no real effect other than you don't see the aperture in the viewfinder (you get a f--). In practise, if you use old manual lenses, you shoot in manual mode, dial up the aperture, and press the green button (I'm not sure if that exists on the K2000 - need to do some homework......) to determine exposure. Then shoot.

There is a thread about stop down metering here on the K2000/K-M.......

The Pentax lens compatibility table at Mosphotos describes the all the mounts and what they offer.
06-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a caveat about the older lenses and the metering with the K10 and K20. It is not accurate at all apertures, and the error is not linear. With the sole exception of the metering issues, the only other thing is that the automatic exposure modes are not available with the sole exception of aperture priority. With K mount (bayonet) lenses, Av only works with the lens wide open. As there is no way for the camera to hold an M42-1 lens open (screw mount), they actually meter somewhat better.
06-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
See my earlier comment above. The crippled KAF2 mount is responsible for the stop-down metering requirement with "non-A" lenses. On most Pentax film cameras with a non-crippled mount, these lenses meter wide open in Av mode.

Steve
06-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
See my earlier comment above. The crippled KAF2 mount is responsible for the stop-down metering requirement with "non-A" lenses. On most Pentax film cameras with a non-crippled mount, these lenses meter wide open in Av mode.

Steve
I think I have it now. I am about to embark on the K2000 with the two lens combination, as it seems like a really good package.

06-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ang since now you are a member here, you can pretty much ask whatever situation may arise that you might not have an answer to.
A lot of the forum members are helpful as most of them have experienced the pentax phenomenon for quite a while and have asked questions and found answers themselves.
Welcome to the forum!